Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilHorace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Milwaukee, Wi
I've been looking over Macs at Ebay and found one that sounded too good to be true, a new G4 with no reserve and it was at $500 a day ago. It's now over $800 (ending soon). I didn't once bid on it but asked the seller a few questions being that his discription (pasted below) reads like a magazine ad more than any personal description. He says he's in the US on Ebay but his e-mail is from the UK and his address is in London England (suspicious in itself IMHO).
He hasn't answered one of my computer related questions yet (10 replies) but says that he'll sell me the computer listed (probably another one) outside of Ebay for $700 (shipped) and wants me to send the money via Western Union (not via CC). I've asked him why he'd sell me that for less than what he'd sell it for via Ebay, plus other questions yet not ONE answer, he evades the issues. He has no seller history at Ebay, just buys items there. I've even told him that I won't deal with him until he answers my previous questions yet nothing other than payment stuff, very vague.
Well, I say that like the old saying, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Here's what he says he's selling:
........................................................................................................
NEW Apple PowerMac G4 867MHz

Description
The new Power Mac G4 puts tremendous creative resources at your fingertips with the revolutionary SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) and Apples award-winning digital video editing and DVD authoring software. Awesome processing power 867MHz Power Mac G4 with SuperDrive Either way, you get astonishing processing power. Thats because the chip inside the Power Mac G4  the fearsomely fast PowerPC G4 with Velocity Engine  can process information in huge 128-bit chunks, compared with the 32 or 64-bit chunks in traditional processors. This means the PowerPC G4 can perform four (sometimes eight) 32-bit floating-point calculations in a single cycle  two to four times faster than traditional processors Burn your own CDs and DVDs Thats just the kind of performance you need to burn CDs, burn DVDs and burn Pentiums. Pick a model with the SuperDrive, and you not only get iMovie video editing software (preinstalled on every new Power Mac G4), you also get iDVD, Apples cutting-edge authoring software  the easiest way to create your own DVD videos. All three models enable you to burn your own music CDs with iTunes software and to archive image and data files using Disc Burner software (both applications are included).

May GeForce be with you You can get your Power Mac G4 with your choice of three graphics processing units. The NVIDIA GeForce2 MX with 32MB of SDRAM delivers blazing-fast, high-resolution 2D and 3D graphics in true 32-bit color. The NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM lets you connect both an Apple display (using the Apple Display Connector) and a VGA display  without requiring an additional graphics card. So youll have all four of your PCI slots free for adding your audio, video and SCSI cards. You can also get the NVIDIA GeForce3 graphics processing unit with 64MB of DDR RAM as a build-to-order option from the Apple Store. With more than 57 million transistors, the GeForce3 can perform 800 billion operations per second  including a record-shattering 76 billion floating-point operations per second, or 76 gigaflops. Make superfast connections You also get the benefit of a 133MHz system bus with over 1Gbps data throughput, built-in Gigabit Ethernet (great for shooting large files across your LAN at mind-boggling speeds), 56K V.90 modem, AirPort Card slot, two 400Mbps FireWire ports and two USB ports. Incidentally, FireWire, PCI expansion (four full-length 64-bit, 33MHz PCI slots with 215MB per second throughput) and Gigabit Ethernet are integrated directly into the main memory controller, reducing latencies and providing off-the-charts I/O performance. Plus support for up to 1.5GB of PC133 SDRAM. Cache is king Power Mac G4 models feature 256K L2 cache per processor, running at full processor speed In addition, the 867MHz system has 2MB of L3 backside cache running Ample on-chip and backside cache boosts processor efficiency and performance. Why? Because the processor can access data and instruction sets from the cache faster than it can from main memory. The result? Reduced latency and increased processor efficiency. Additionally, increased backside cache enable the Power Mac G4 to handle large data sets  like those required for streaming media, ripping MP3s and encoding video  much more effectively. All the storage you need The Power Mac G4 comes with 60GB (867MHz) hard disk drives and three 3.5-inch hard disk drive expansion bays  with support for up to two internal ATA drives, three internal SCSI drives, or a combination of two ATA and one SCSI drives for a total of 232GB of internal storage. You can even get 3x180GB Barracuda Ultra SCSI drives from Seagate for a total of 540 gigabytes of storage.
Payment and Shipping Info
Payment Options
Credit Card
.........................................................................................................

It's gotta be worth ALOT more than $700 shipped right?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
that does sound fishy. i only use credit cards on things like that bcause you dotn get billed until it ships. i dont like to believe the people who copy and paste info from apples site. i like the people with actual pcitures of the computer and reasons for selling it. i wouldnt do it if i were you. youcould pay and hecould send you a big box of bricks and there would nothing you could do about it.

iJon

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Western Union in and of itself is being beaten up for the ease of use in perpetrating fraud...

And yes this price is well under a legit suppliers cost, if the machine is real -- it's stolen (especially if it's new in box.)

But send in the money and you'll get nothing.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
If you buy this machine you will be ripped off, IMO. You'll have nobody but yourself to blame, too, as this guy sends up many warning flags.

Dan

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
eBay fraud

I don't trust anything on eBay that isn't an official company auction. I was defrauded once on my first eBay bid and I never went back.

I believe that this is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14912&item=2085825292

It seems that this auction was more than a little suspicious. The link reveals the following text:

{
Invalid Item

The item you requested ( 2085825292 ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.
}

Find a reputable dealer (like a MacRumors.com sponsor) and get your Macintosh backed by a legitimate guarantee.

EvilHorace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Milwaukee, Wi
Yep, that was it.
I've seen several Mac computer auctions end like that before the auction was suppose to end so I'm not sure if it's because he was "busted" or because the person selling the item choose to end it himself. It's possible that he thought either myself or someone else was going to send him money outside Ebay so he ended it.
I've bought several other items via Ebay, even a modified car 2 yrs ago and I have yet to be burned from anyone there but I always check the sellers ratings, e-mail those if I think there's a reason and if they seem suspicious, stay away. That guy seemed very suspicious and as some suggested, I too figured that if I sent him money, I'd get burned.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: eBay fraud

Originally posted by arogge
I don't trust anything on eBay that isn't an official company auction. I was defrauded once on my first eBay bid and I never went back.

I believe that this is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14912&item=2085825292

It seems that this auction was more than a little suspicious. The link reveals the following text:

{
Invalid Item

The item you requested ( 2085825292 ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.
}

Find a reputable dealer (like a MacRumors.com sponsor) and get your Macintosh backed by a legitimate guarantee.

i agree and disagree with you. if you want a new computer, buy it from a retailer. that's best bet.

but- eBay is not a horrible place. I have done close to 100 transactions and only been mildly screwed once, but it was asmuch my fault as theirs. i should have never made that bid.

anyway, i see so many negative things about ebay. there a re a lot of positives out there as well. YOU just have to be smart. no one does it for you.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
That is incredibly fishy...I've only done one think on ebay, I bought a factory sealed ps2 for 50 bucks, but the seller had only good feedback and a good description, it seemed a little fishy but I figured that I shouldn't pass it up, ebay'll give you back you payment up to 200 bucks - $25 processing, so if it doesn't come then I'll get $25 back, I figured that I was relativley safe. I hope that the ps2s weren't stolen....:confused:

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I would stay away from those. My general rule is that for a purchase that large, they better answer e-mails within a day, with specific answers to my questions. Also, if they ask for Western Union, the other posters are right, that's usually a ripoff.

There was a nasty group scamming Powerbooks for sale from Spain about a month ago. I was looking for a new machine and contacted them. They wanted me to send $$$ via WU, and then wait for the machine. Yeah, right.

Regards,
Gus

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
they must have changed

Originally posted by OutThere761
That is incredibly fishy...I've only done one think on ebay, I bought a factory sealed ps2 for 50 bucks, but the seller had only good feedback and a good description, it seemed a little fishy but I figured that I shouldn't pass it up, ebay'll give you back you payment up to 200 bucks - $25 processing, so if it doesn't come then I'll get $25 back, I figured that I was relativley safe. I hope that the ps2s weren't stolen....:confused:
since when will ebay give you back your payment up -200-25 i got ripped off 49.99 for a 7500 and all i could get back was $1 so i said forget it

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: they must have changed

Originally posted by daveg5

since when will ebay give you back your payment up -200-25 i got ripped off 49.99 for a 7500 and all i could get back was $1 so i said forget it

look around on the site. i read that policy also, a year or two ago. maybe it was changed or not always used.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
::WARNING::

Never, ever buy stuff when the seller offers to "sell you the item off eBay".

That is a dead giveaway of a potentialy fraudulent transaction.

ALWAYS use a credit card.

NEVER ship anything you sell C.O.D.

Be wary, I'm an eBay PowerSeller and I buy off eBay all the time but you need to use caution these days. I've seen many, yes many, bogus listing with Apple merchandise.

Just be careful.

moby1

EvilHorace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Milwaukee, Wi
I never heard back from that guy. He gave me his address with payment details for Western union as if he thought I'd just go for it BUT I told him that unless he answered all of my questions, I simply wouldn't deal with him. I also told him that the deal seemed suspicious and that I didn't think he seemed trustworthy. It was strange that his ad ended before the time was up too. All I can say is that I hope he didn't end up ripping someone off but I suppose that's likely.
I ended up buying another used Mac from a guy with a good Ebay reputation (using the CC) so I'm not worried about that deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.