Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Really don't understand why Google has no Google Play Store app for Mac/ PC where you can manage & sync your device when connected. And back up all the apps too.

Right now there's no other way for me to get any apps than directly via the phone & Wifi.

But I have my laptop connected to a much faster Ethernet connection that would allow me to download games over 1GB much faster. This is kinda annoying when you were on and familiar with iTunes.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Really don't understand why Google has no Google Play Store app for Mac/ PC where you can manage & sync your device when connected. And back up all the apps too.

Right now there's no other way for me to get any apps than directly via the phone & Wifi.

But I have my laptop connected to a much faster Ethernet connection that would allow me to download games over 1GB much faster. This is kinda annoying when you were on and familiar with iTunes.

Yes, there is. Go here: https://play.google.com/store

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
You've either completely misunderstood him or haven't read his post properly.

I thought this was pretty clear:

As for this:
You can manage any device attached to your account in terms of adding or deleting apps. The 'snapshot' backup familiar in iOS and iTunes is not available on Google. Although I have heard rumors it is coming.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Really? Then please tell me how else you can download Android apps.

Accessing the Play Store via your computer browser does not lead to any options to download apps to your drive.

And I'm not expecting Android to be like iOS, in fact that's exactly why I switched.

All I'm asking for is some kind of universal Google Store management app like iTunes.

Well his post is kinda all over the place when he says there's no other way to get apps other than through your phone & wifi.

I believe the OP needs to stop expecting android to be like iOS and then he'll be much better off.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Accessing the Play Store via your computer browser does not lead to any options to download apps to your drive.

And I'm not expecting Android to be like iOS, in fact that's exactly why I switched.

All I'm asking for is some kind of universal Google Store management app like iTunes.

That's why i said don't expect it to be like iOS. There is no central storage or itunes like application (Thank God) and the time it would take you to download it through iTunes and then sync your phone is more than what it would take to download it directly to your device via the play store app on your phone or via the web page.

I don't understand why this is even an issue.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Part of the reason I use Android is to avoid this :confused:

I dont get this? Unless you have either extremely fast internet or extremely slow wifi, your net connection will not max out your wifi link anyways so it wont be a bottleneck....

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I don't quite understand the obsession with syncing to a computer. Your important items, like contacts and photos are synced by Google in the cloud. What is the advantage of syncing to your computer?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

If you want to be able to put the apk's on to your computer, you can, but it will either involve downloading them from websites like XDA (almost every free app's apk file can be found there. Pirated pay apps are not authorized, nor would I suggest trying to download a paid app outside of the Play Store.)

Or you can download the app and then simply download the apk file off your phone (usually found in System/app file directory) to your PC. I use an app called Pushbullet that pushes files from the phone to pc or from pc to phone with ease.

Once you have the apk file, you always have a backup of your app (not any saved data within the app though) on your PC. But, it really isn't needed. Every single app you download is saved in your Play store. They never get deleted unless you manually do it, so your apps are forever available to you.

If you end up rooting your phone, then you can download apps like Titanium Backup (saves individual or all apps, plus their data) or ROM Manager which does the exact same thing as iCloud (a snapshot of the entire phone when you click 'save'). If unrooted, there is an app called Helium that does similar functions as TiBU or ROM Manager.

Obviously, none of these options are as simple or integrated as say iCloud, but for now, it is all we have. Hopefully, Google institutes their save to cloud function soon.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Get a faster wifi router :).

I doubt play/app store servers can pump data any much faster that what your wifi can handle.

Anyway, a lot of Android games have a small apk installation file but will download additional data once you start the game (unlike Iphone). This makes your point moot.

One thing Play store has over iOS is the web interface to install/buy apps which then automatically sync to your phone. Itunes is absolutely horrible and slow and you can't open multiple tabs/windows to compare apps.

Another nice feature of Play is multiple a/c support. I have separate google a/c for download/purchase games or business apps or utility apps etc. On my phone, I dont want games so I exclude the games a/c from the phone but include all the other accounts. I dont think this is possible in iOS. On ios sometimes it is quite annoying that whatever crap your child downloaded get sync to your tablet/phone and clogs it up.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
I don't quite understand the obsession with syncing to a computer. Your important items, like contacts and photos are synced by Google in the cloud. What is the advantage of syncing to your computer?

I don't get it either. I was having this same conversation with someone that was touting, that they could sync their iPhone wirelessly as soon as they get home. My response was, I don't need to sync my phone at all. My phone automatically keeps everything synced to the cloud. Syncing to a computer (be it wirelessly or wired) is quite archaic.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
MBX, MOST home internet connections will hardly saturate a modern WiFi network. I doubt you'll get any faster downloads using your computer vs. your phone on WiFi. Even my upgraded 30 Mbps internet won't saturate my wireless-N network, the only benefit to a faster connection is internal transfers.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This is kinda annoying when you were on and familiar with iTunes.

Apple has been gradually reducing the importance of iTunes for syncing and backing up iOS devices since they introduced iCloud.

It's now quite difficult to get it to copy things like App Updates back onto the computer from the device.

It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to use the feature anymore.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
If you look ahead a year or two from now it's likely that most (non tech) users won't even have a laptop any more. If all they need is a tablet at home then what would an itunes type app run on?

stick everything in the cloud and get at it from anywhere. Syncing to your laptop/desktop is sooo yesterday :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I also have to ask - how many 1GB+ apps are you downloading that it's THAT frustrating to not be able to sideload?

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Guys, my wifi router is upstairs but I'm also downstairs in the house a lot where the wifi signal is weaker. And my ethernet faster and especially MORE stable.

A 1GB download via ethernet is like 5-10x faster than on my wifi. And no hang ups. Imagine you're at 90% of your download and the wifi drops and you have to restart a 1-2GB download all over on the phone.

Also, why are people always questioning intentions or preferences? To those people, please don't tell me you know my wifi better than I do. And why I would need an iTunes like managment app for Google Play Store apps.

I often found myself in the need to restore backups from iTunes on my iPhone. So why wouldn't I want that cool feature on Android too?

But yes in near future I will upgrade my wifi router/ settings in the home to get it much faster on all floors. Still would be nice to have a universal Play Store app manager that you can operate on desktop too.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Guys, my wifi router is upstairs but I'm also downstairs in the house a lot where the wifi signal is weaker. And my ethernet faster and especially MORE stable.

A 1GB download via ethernet is like 5-10x faster than on my wifi. And no hang ups. Imagine you're at 90% of your download and the wifi drops and you have to restart a 1-2GB download all over on the phone.

Also, why are people always questioning intentions or preferences? To those people, please don't tell me you know my wifi better than I do. And why I would need an iTunes like managment app for Google Play Store apps.

I often found myself in the need to restore backups from iTunes on my iPhone. So why wouldn't I want that cool feature on Android too?

But yes in near future I will upgrade my wifi router/ settings in the home to get it much faster on all floors. Still would be nice to have a universal Play Store app manager that you can operate on desktop too.

what are you doing to have to restore from a backup all the time? And yeah, your router is crap

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

I think people are more likely trying to understand why this is of so much importance to you as the scenario you describe is infrequent.

Which is why I personally asked how many 1GB apps you're downloading. If it's 1 or two - in the scheme of things - I don't see that (personally) as a big deal. Wait until you're able to go upstairs.

Is it an inconvenience? Sure. But how often are you really being inconvenienced?

Android and the market work differently. Personally - I love that for my non-iOS devices - I don't have to touch iTunes.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Ok but how about this scenario:

I don't necessarily need a desktop Play Store app like iTunes. But why doesn't Google offer some universal option to back up all installed/ purchased app on the cloud? And all the phone settings, etc.

So that if I change to a new version of the phone or for some reason need to reset it I can simply and easily restore all apps & settings from the cloud.

In order to do that I had to buy third party apps, which is not too bad but just saying it would be more handy if Google came up with it.

I think people are more likely trying to understand why this is of so much importance to you as the scenario you describe is infrequent.

Which is why I personally asked how many 1GB apps you're downloading. If it's 1 or two - in the scheme of things - I don't see that (personally) as a big deal. Wait until you're able to go upstairs.

Is it an inconvenience? Sure. But how often are you really being inconvenienced?

Android and the market work differently. Personally - I love that for my non-iOS devices - I don't have to touch iTunes.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Sit your phone next to the router and let it finish downloading .... Problem solved.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
If you need to backup and restore your phone often, then you should probably just root your phone and install some kernel that supports cwm or twrp recovery mode. Those recovery modes can basically just copy all your apps and system files into a zip file (and name it with a timestamp) that you can then save on your computer/sd card. If anything goes wrong and you'll need to restore everything quickly, you can just copy that zip file back into your sd card, reboot into recovery mode and restore your backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.