Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Ever since Nokia confirmed providing maps and navigation for Tizen, I couldn't help but think there had to be more to this. I mean providing such a robust service like Nokia Here Maps is no small deal. So given that MS will take over and give Nokia a 2yr ban from making devices, can you see any respectable chance for a Nokia to come back with Tizen phones? After all, Tizen does have MeeGo in its history, somewhat.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Ever since Nokia confirmed providing maps and navigation for Tizen, I couldn't help but think there had to be more to this. I mean providing such a robust service like Nokia Here Maps is no small deal. So given that MS will take over and give Nokia a 2yr ban from making devices, can you see any respectable chance for a Nokia to come back with Tizen phones? After all, Tizen does have MeeGo in its history, somewhat.

You do realize Microsoft is buying the device making portion of the company, right?

PollyK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
You do realize Microsoft is buying the device making portion of the company, right?

I do yes. But nothing is stopping the Nokia brand from coming back early 2016. You don't expect Nokia to just go away and only live under MS do you? Honestly, this MS buy out is like a rebirth for them. They will be able to make their own devices and even license out the Nokia brand after that 2 yr ban.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I do yes. But nothing is stopping the Nokia brand from coming back early 2016. You don't expect Nokia to just go away and only live under MS do you? Honestly, this MS buy out is like a rebirth for them. They will be able to make their own devices and even license out the Nokia brand after that 2 yr ban.

I expect that they don't have the money to build a new manufacturing base to make phones, that's what I think.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Nokia should have gone Android instead of Windows, as they most likely not be in the position they are in atm & having to sell a large part of the company to Microsoft.

Elop was the biggest mistake Nokia made in my book.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Nokia should have gone Android instead of Windows, as they most likely not be in the position they are in atm & having to sell a large part of the company to Microsoft.

No, they'd still be in this position. Android isn't a money-printing machine by any stretch of the imagination, unless you're Samsung.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Nokia sells their map data to other OEMs. Most notably Amazon. I believe Maps is part of their services division, which Nokia has not sold to Microsoft.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
WP8 is gaining some minimal traction, and I'd say the thanks goes more to Nokia than MS. At this point they are probably better off pushing ahead with MS and riding out their choice. The devices they make are top notch, there is no doubt about that. If WP8 evolves a little more Nokia will be in a good place. They're already making the best Windows phones, I doubt that will change.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
There is no reason that Tizen couldn't theoretically become a huge smash.

Anyone who says otherwise can't see it:

- iOS is established, safe and boring
- Android is established, not quite as safe and quite fun/customisable
- Windows is stylish, doesn't have the apps/userbase

Basically, Google are now closing in and trying to gain control of the Android experience.

All Tizen has to do is:

- Be stylish
- Have the apps
- Not be boring
- Get rock solid security
- Developer friendly

Why can't that happen? Do you know how many companies are behind Tizen? It's a direct reaction to Apple and Google.

They will break the Far East first, then try the rest of the world. Give it 5 years. Bump this thread then!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Back when Nokia were floundering towards the end if Symbian they had every chance to be what Samsung is today.

No they didn't. Samsung got where it is today because it had cash to burn while it got bigger in the Android market, because it makes a huge portion of the phones in house, and because they have other things to buoy them up to make sure that part one and two happened. Nokia has none of that.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009

You are aware that virtually every Android OEM outside of Samsung is either barely scraping by or losing money, right?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Nokia would still be #1 if they had stuck to their long term plan. Android not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.