Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hello PPC Mac world.

Is it fairly simple (once the case is opened up) to add another HDD in the ODD bay, and then set it up as RAID 0?

This might be overkill, but I thought that it would be fun to take a G3, make the case clear, change the color of the apple logo, and put in an extra HDD to have a RAID setup. eventually, I would find some way to reverse a usb port so that I can install a WiFi antenna inside the machine.

Anyway, I have the G3s (thanks to Eyoungren!!!!!) and the inclination. I have the technology......all of you should know the rest....

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think the IDE bus in G3 iBooks is shared between the hard drive and the optical drive. That wouldn't make for a very good RAID setup.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I think the IDE bus in G3 iBooks is shared between the hard drive and the optical drive. That wouldn't make for a very good RAID setup.

LAME. It would still work though, right? It just wouldn't achieve the speeds that I was hoping for.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You could get an optibay with a built in SATA adapter and put in a SATA drive. Don't forget that iBook has a 120GB hard drive limit.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
You're welcome! Still keeping my PowerBooks though! :D

Fine!

You could get an optibay with a built in SATA adapter and put in a SATA drive. Don't forget that iBook has a 120GB hard drive limit.

But would a SATA drive do that much as far as speed when it's still limited by the system bus speed? Or am I thinking about that the wrong way?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Any SATA drive, even one from 2006, would completely max out that iBook's ATA/33 bus. Of course it'll only max out sequential transfers. For still better results, get a slightly newer SATA drive. But don't forget about the 120GB limitation.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Any SATA drive, even one from 2006, would completely max out that iBook's ATA/33 bus. Of course it'll only max out sequential transfers. For still better results, get a slightly newer SATA drive. But don't forget about the 120GB limitation.

Well that's good to know. Is there an option o upgrading both the superdrive and the HDD to SATA on an iBook/ even on a 14" iBook G4 1.42GHz?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think there's enough room for a SATA adapter in an iBook. Maybe the clamshell, but that's be rather silly to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.