Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee714

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Is this a good deal? And would I be seeing anything cheaper than this?

lee714

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Already got mine, thanks though! $175 off, not to shabby!?!??!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
They're going to be $949.99 on Black Friday at Best Buy, so wait until then.

Attachments

• MBA.jpg
    MBA.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 88

lee714

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Isn't this a better deal? I'm getting $175 off the retail pricing. Also the student discount coupon does not apply on the day of black friday. Makes me wonder why Best Buy would do this deal right before the week of black friday? Anyone have any assumptions?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Isn't this a better deal? I'm getting $175 off the retail pricing. Also the student discount coupon does not apply on the day of black friday. Makes me wonder why Best Buy would do this deal right before the week of black friday? Anyone have any assumptions?

Not everyone qualifies for student pricing.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

for some reason they have been doing this on and off since August when I bought 2 of them. When i bought them, they had $100 student discount not the $50 like you got. Less discount as sales price though. Worked out to $899 after i put down a $25 reward zone cert.

Jpeppard

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
The macbook air pricing at best buy is going to be 28th through the 30th, it is not a doorbuster and I don't see them selling out in that time frame.

Most of the black friday crowd are after the terrible Celeron Windows units.

UbuntuFu

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
I just got this from Best Buy with an extra $50 off student coupon. Also, I used an AMEX card so that's another $25 off. Total with tax was about $1001 (8.75%), 976 after the 25 credit back from amex.

I was on trying to decide on the Macbook Pro retina $1399 edu price at my university bookstore because I kind of wanted the 8gb RAM and the better display but with tax it would have been $1525. For 525 I could pick up a real nice IPS monitor and some other accessories.

So far I'm liking the MBA a lot, seems to run fine, I will install Windows 7 on Boot camp tomorrow.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
for $25, it beats not having to deal with black friday

For those that qualify for the student discount, they're better off buying now, but for the majority that do not, they're better off waiting. The $150 off will be available online next week as well, so it's not really a hassle at all. Plus the $150 off will be good on all models, not just the entry level 13" as well.

Tfb

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
The base model is $929 for refurbished from Apple, which is always my preference.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
My friend just got one of these. Even though he specifically asked for the student discount they told him it wasn't available. The laptop also came with Mountain Lion installed so it must have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Needless to say he's going back to speak with the manager. They also tried to upsell him with:

$50 virus removal services (I was literally LOLing)
$100 software tech support for a year (on a laptop that already comes with Applecare)
$89 for a Seagate hard drive because "you need a Seagate hard drive if you want to transfer your files from your old computer"

$974 is still the best deal around on a 2013 macbook though.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
For those who prefer buying from Apple Store, they price match. That's how I got mine. They price matched Best Buy. I prefer burying from Apple Store.

lee714

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
For those who prefer buying from Apple Store, they price match. That's how I got mine. They price matched Best Buy. I prefer burying from Apple Store.

Will they price match the 974 and give me a student discount?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
My friend just got one of these. Even though he specifically asked for the student discount they told him it wasn't available. The laptop also came with Mountain Lion installed so it must have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Needless to say he's going back to speak with the manager. They also tried to upsell him with:

$50 virus removal services (I was literally LOLing)
$100 software tech support for a year (on a laptop that already comes with Applecare)
$89 for a Seagate hard drive because "you need a Seagate hard drive if you want to transfer your files from your old computer"

$974 is still the best deal around on a 2013 macbook though.
The discount is with a coupon code. Buy online and pickup in store....no need to get hassled

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I would rather have it new, wouldn't you?

No.
Better quality control checks on the refurb
Not having to deal with Black Friday traffic and people
Toss it on my existing apple financing if I want to
$20 less is another $20 I can spend on apps or random stupid stuff.

----------

Resale value and ease of sale.

I use my computers from 3-7 years. Resale or residual value is low priority. And little affected by refurb status ( if at all)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.