PDA

View Full Version : Apple juggernaut shows no sign of waning

MacBytes
Dec 15, 2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple juggernaut shows no sign of waning (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051216001613)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Dec 15, 2005, 11:21 PM
Apple is characteristically mum on the products it has in store for 2006, but analysts and observers say there's no question rain is on its way. The only debate is on how strong a downpour.Interesting metaphor for Apple's success. I would characterize it more as a brewing electrical storm that's about to strike those not prepared for cover.

Great article. Pretty much summarizes the events leading to the position Apple now enjoys. 2006 looks to be Apple's best year to come. :D

Although the rumors of a wireless iPod won't see the light of day. Nevertheless, the idea of an iPhone sounds intriguing.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

winmacguy
Dec 15, 2005, 11:32 PM
Being a new AAPL stock holder myself I am just looking to enjoy the ride :)

Seasought
Dec 15, 2005, 11:33 PM
The nascent market is dominated by a variety of machines that run Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Media Center Edition operating system. But there's little consumer excitement, certainly not matching the thrill that followed the debut of Apple's original iPod in 2001.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who has become excited at the notion of a new Microsoft OS or that they are getting one flavor of Windows or another. I personally don't know how anyone could.

As many as 1 million of the 4.5 million computers Apple shipped in fiscal 2005 were from Windows users switching platforms -- a sign of a "halo effect" from iPod sales and Apple's growing retail presence, said Needham & Co. analyst Charlie Wolf.

I really think this has been key to recruiting new users. If they do in fact push the 'home media center' idea more along with streaming content they'll start to push their way into the minds of consumers who aren't as impressed with iPods. This will, in turn, open up their minds to the 'hey, they make nice looking computers...I wonder...' type of thinking.

I'm curious as to whether an iPod PDA type of device will mature more. Address book, email, calendar (advanced ones like on Palm and other PDA devices).

nagromme
Dec 16, 2005, 01:05 AM
Waning juggernaut? I'm calling the metaphor police!

I don't think I've ever met anyone who has become excited at the notion of a new Microsoft OS or that they are getting one flavor of Windows or another. I personally don't know how anyone could.
People do line up early for new major versions of Windows (like XP) :o It's a very tiny fraction of Windows users who would do that, but that's a fraction of a big total! Computers are a hobby for many, and people get excited about their hobbies! If your only computer experience is Windows--and if you've been suffering through the problems of the old version--then some excitement about the next version is understandable.

Still, the saying is largely true: Mac users love their computers. Windows users tolerate them. (And, I might add, get insecure because they don't get how anyone COULD like a computer better than they do.)

Seasought
Dec 16, 2005, 01:07 AM
And, I might add, get insecure because they don't get how anyone COULD like a computer better than they do.)

I remember that side of the fence (or Window if you want to go nuts with metaphors here).

What a cold and lonely place.

I won't go back there.

You can't make me.

I...won't. :D

iMeowbot
Dec 16, 2005, 01:52 AM
Once upon a time, Microsoft used to be able to generate a very strong reality distortion field. The Win95 release had people camping out at stores just like Apple store openings see now. Not long afterward, they apparently noticed that they already ruled the world and switched off the generator.

The anticipated 2006 Apple releases remind me of that funny almost but not quite nauseous feeling you get when you're coming down with the flu. You know you're gonna barf, but not how much or when. For the record, I finally got my share of barfing in last night. w00t.

bousozoku
Dec 16, 2005, 02:09 AM
Once upon a time, Microsoft used to be able to generate a very strong reality distortion field. The Win95 release had people camping out at stores just like Apple store openings see now. Not long afterward, they apparently noticed that they already ruled the world and switched off the generator.

The anticipated 2006 Apple releases remind me of that funny almost but not quite nauseous feeling you get when you're coming down with the flu. You know you're gonna barf, but not how much or when. For the record, I finally got my share of barfing in last night. w00t.

I remember the news media covering stories of people camped out in front of CompUSA to buy Win98, Win98, WinME, and WinXP at midnight. It seems sad to see fanatics of any kind: Windows users, Mac users, Star Wars, or Star Trek nuts. Of course, I usually say these things directly to one of the people in one of the groups before I know that they are. :D

I'm really surprised to see that May Wong can string a few words together into a coherent document. That's quite unusual for her. She must have enjoyed writing it, rather than just reporting some facts, as they usually have her doing.

I'm surprised to hear that Apple is getting watercooler time. However, I had been using my PowerBook before the wrestling meet I was photographing the other night and a few people weren't afraid to talk to me about it. That's especially odd, considering that I'm in conservative land.

rundevilrun
Dec 16, 2005, 09:23 AM

I used to get kind of excited about new Windows releases, but it was a different kind of excitement, more like "maybe it'll work now!"

Sunrunner
Dec 16, 2005, 09:25 AM
I used to get kind of excited about new Windows releases, but it was a different kind of excitement, more like "maybe it'll work now!"

EXACTLY. It all goes back to the axiom about Mac users and PC users; you see a lot of MAc zealots, but not really too many true PC zealots... there is a reason.

Mainyehc
Dec 16, 2005, 02:03 PM

I've switched two years ago, but I've been using PCs since I was seven, back in 1992 in the "good ol'" Win 3.1 days, so I've used Winblows almost exclusively for eleven years (except when I played around with a friend's Mac Color Classic running System 7 and when I installed an outdated RedHat 7 with Gnome on my old PeeCee three years ago), so I used to have that very same feeling of "excitement"...

I remember looking forward to Long(wait)horn, since there was no way I was going to use XPee, and really hoped that the future would be brighter. Loooooonghorn kept being delayed (this was back in... 2002? :rolleyes: ), and besides, I was already fed up with M$'s crapware, so I started looking at other options. My OSS experience was a total failure (which was predictable, since I was using an outdated version on crappy hardware), but even if it had been successful, Linux wasn't (and still isn't) ready enough for my needs anyway. And you know, the fact Apple was ahead of the curve with OS X was a pleasant surprise for me, and it really sold me to the platform.

Maybe Micro$oft will get it nearly right this time, except they are some three years late, so no, I'm definitely NOT excited about Vista!

OTOH, Apple product releases get me very excited... The last Rev. iMac G4, the iMac G5, the Shuffle and the 5G iPod, Tiger, and Mighty Mouse... Those releases got me thinking, "Man, I've gotta get myself one of those". And I eventually got them :D . And this is scaring the living hell out of me, because there'll be so many groundbreaking releases in the coming year... must... resist... :eek: :p