Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hey guys,

My 2012 MBA base model is getting the spinning beachball all the time now. I still have 30 GB left of free space on the SSD. I am not doing anything intensive at all. Sometimes it even happens with just iTunes and Chrome running. I usually only have 3-5 tabs open as well. I get it pretty consistently with over 5 tabs or with word or powerpoint open too. I'm running OS 10.8.4 still, (can't upgrade bc overseas still and awful internet).

Is there a problem with my mac? I got it around February so it's not even a year old.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I would advise getting it looked at as soon as you can. Since you're not on Mavericks, there is no reason that you should be getting the beach ball so frequently.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I had this happen to my 2011 iMac 27 after Maverics upgrade. I just made a quick backup.. then erased the drive and did a TM restore.

All is fine now. My guess is, in my case Mavericks upgrade caused a lot of file fragmentation....

Try it just for the heck of it and see if that helps.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I'll try making a backup when I get home, hopefully that can fix it but I'm thinking I will get it looked at anyways. One thing I forgot to add, whenever I plug in any USB device, my keyboard and trackpad are frozen until I click on the trackpad. It doesn't matter if I'm using a bt or wireless mouse either.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Could be something even simpler:

Just happened to me the other day all of a sudden and WTF. Looked at my PAGE OUT and it's at 10 GB! and I expect ZERO. Notice Safari is taking a tons of ram when I only have 2 tabs. WTF. So I quit Safari completely and that cleared up the issue. Safari not releasing unused memory.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Could be something even simpler:

Just happened to me the other day all of a sudden and WTF. Looked at my PAGE OUT and it's at 10 GB! and I expect ZERO. Notice Safari is taking a tons of ram when I only have 2 tabs. WTF. So I quit Safari completely and that cleared up the issue. Safari not releasing unused memory.

I think he is using chrome, primarily. But it can be a hog as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.