PDA

View Full Version : The day the music went defective

MacBytes
Dec 16, 2005, 08:38 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: The day the music went defective (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051216093812)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Passante
Dec 16, 2005, 10:56 AM
He said he was a regular online purchaser. "I have purchased many things online - via eBay, Ticketek, and all sorts of online stores. I've never had a major problem and any problem I've had has been addressed by the vendor - until the iTunes store came along."

This isn't a major problem and it was fixed. Whats the story? Apple's not perfect.:p

Applespider
Dec 16, 2005, 11:03 AM
I didn't think it was Apple who digitised the tracks to be honest. They're not going to listen to each of the hundreds they add to the site each week just to make sure there's no fault.

I have experienced this; an AIR album had two corrupted tracks. I mailed iTMS support, they came back the next day and asked me to try redownloading them (free of charge obviously). They were still corrupt so iTMS refunded the whole album the next day and told me to try downloading again in a few weeks. I got round to it about a month later and those two tracks were fixed.

The procedures for highlighting problems are there and they do generally seem to be followed. It would be interesting to see who he emailed or whether he figured putting in an online review would be enough.

KREX725
Dec 16, 2005, 01:08 PM
I get the impression this guy thinks iTunes is some small "mom & pop" music store that should know about every problem track in their millions of available songs. Until the problem is known to Apple, they can't do much to fix it, or alert others.

How this became a news story is beyond me. Show me ANY company who doesn't have various flaws throughout their products.

EGT
Dec 16, 2005, 08:52 PM
I bought a few songs at once but one of them had a glitch in it. I emailed the support team and they replied with a redeem code which I have a year to use.

"Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

Thank you for purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store. We're sorry the song you purchased didn't meet the standard of quality you have come to expect from the iTunes Music Store. We take the quality of our music and audiobooks very seriously and we will be investigating the issue you reported in depth.

Please do not repurchase this song in the next two weeks. This will give us time to resolve the issue with the song or remove it if we need to.

In the meantime, please accept the following song code, to replace the code you used: "

etc etc.

Who can complain with that? :confused:

generik
Dec 16, 2005, 09:26 PM
I am surprised something like this can happen to a big store like iTMS.. I mean, hey, even the WareZ d00ds can do a better job with a Liteon CDR drive and a free copy of EAC.. how hard can it be for a company that hires people (ie: pay people money to do nothing apart from ripping CDs).

It is their damned job, they do it for a living, there should have been no stuff ups.

EGT
Dec 16, 2005, 09:49 PM
I'd think it's pretty much impossible to be 100% glitch free when we're talking about the content of all iTMS.

It's not a serious problem and the iTunes staff are more than helpful if you do have any niggles.

solvs
Dec 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
how hard can it be for a company that hires people (ie: pay people money to do nothing apart from ripping CDs).
Even if that was how it worked (which it isn't, as noted above), there could still be errors popping up. The system is not perfect, which is why there is support. ;)

winmacguy
Dec 17, 2005, 12:51 AM
In the meantime, please accept the following song code, to replace the code you used: "

etc etc.

Who can complain with that? :confused:
Some people are just very hard to please...:p :rolleyes:

nagromme
Dec 17, 2005, 01:16 AM
It is their damned job, they do it for a living, there should have been no stuff ups.
No it's not their job.

The record labels perform the conversion to AAC. Not Apple.

iMeowbot
Dec 17, 2005, 01:29 AM
I didn't think it was Apple who digitised the tracks to be honest.
At least some of the material was supplied by companies like Loudeye, others are encoded by recording companies (especially the smaller ones). Apple do have editorial teams in each market who are supposed to vet content before it's listed, but I don't think there are enough hours in a day for them to have listened to all of every track!