PDA

View Full Version : my iBook is scaring me...

lilsuprano
Dec 16, 2005, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, I tried searching and didn't find anything. Randomly, my iBook will go, "Helloooo!", it does it every so often...and I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

Eric

Maxiseller
Dec 16, 2005, 09:06 AM
Maybe it's Victoria, the automated voice thingy!

I used to have great fun with 10.2 showing off the "Stickies" app to my Windows friends at school; used to get it to swear at passers by; "Yough Jak ashf"

*mind wonders* Ahh, victoria :p

SilentPanda
Dec 16, 2005, 09:14 AM
At least it says Hello and not "I am going to destroy you".

There is a voice recognition thing in OS X that might be turned on... Not sure why it would say Hello though. When it does it, remember what apps you have open. Have any friends messed around with your computer?

lilsuprano
Dec 16, 2005, 09:16 AM
Haha that's true...

Nope none of my friends messed around with it at all. I do remember turning SOMETHING on so that it says the time every hour, that could have something to do with it.

It;s just really weird..it gets all quiet in my room, then you hear the computer, "HELLLOOOOOOOO!"..kinda creepy

Eric

Sunrunner
Dec 16, 2005, 09:16 AM
At least it says Hello and not "I am going to destroy you".

There is a voice recognition thing in OS X that might be turned on... Not sure why it would say Hello though. When it does it, remember what apps you have open. Have any friends messed around with your computer?

The voice recognition is at least mildly amusing and fun to play with... I dont know about at being actuallty usefull though. :rolleyes:

SilentPanda
Dec 16, 2005, 09:19 AM
The voice recognition is at least mildly amusing and fun to play with... I dont know about at being actuallty usefull though. :rolleyes:

If you can use a mouse and keyboard voice recognition isn't useful at all really. But it's there and it's fun.

"Tell me a joke."

:)

Sunrunner
Dec 16, 2005, 09:21 AM
If you can use a mouse and keyboard voice recognition isn't useful at all really. But it's there and it's fun.

"Tell me a joke."

:)

True. Ive impressed the hell out of many a PC user by turning that stuff on and doing a few things with it... :p

NYmacAttack
Dec 16, 2005, 09:39 AM
If your on AIM it could also be someones signon sound. People choose strange things for thier sounds.

lilsuprano
Dec 16, 2005, 12:17 PM
BAM! I figured it out... it turns out that it was a banner ad on some website I kept visiting...everytime the page reloads it says, "Hellooo!!"...haha so in the end it had nothing to do with the iBook!

Eric

NYmacAttack
Dec 16, 2005, 12:23 PM
good to hear you solved the problem.:)

istonedu321
Dec 16, 2005, 02:37 PM
Post Deleted