Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

softarget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
This issue bothers me a lot. Since I have upgraded to iOS7 I can not longer put low volume for alarm and for instance mute standard ringtones. I would like to control those 2 volumes separately. Is there any way to achieve it?

Thanks for your help.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
This issue bothers me a lot. Since I have upgraded to iOS7 I can not longer put low volume for alarm and for instance mute standard ringtones. I would like to control those 2 volumes separately. Is there any way to achieve it?

Thanks for your help.

Settings > Sounds > Change with Buttons

Works fine here :)

softarget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Settings > Sounds > Change with Buttons

Works fine here :)

I got turned it ON, but tried as well OFF. Whenever you change volume on Ringtones exactly the same goes to Alarm and vice versa. It does not work independent. No matter if this settings is ON/OFF. It basically changes nothing when it comes to this issue.

tvguy

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It seems to have been removed in iOS7. I liked to have the alarm a lot lower than the ringer and the sound effects all on high. It is had to achieve that now.

softarget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
It seems to have been removed in iOS7. I liked to have the alarm a lot lower than the ringer and the sound effects all on high.

For me it was very very nice feature. I usually muted sounds and leave low volume for alarm for the night (just not to wake up kids).

I have even tried some third-party apps, but they seems to have a limit when they are in the background and don't play sounds if muted/locked :(
Could anyone confirm if this is able to achieve with jailbreake?

macmacgoose

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I too would like to see the alarm be separate from alerts. I like the alerts (sound effects) set low because I don't want my iPad making a ton of noise whenever I get an E-mail, close the lid or type. It's on the lowest setting. My music volume is variable, depending on last usage. But I always want the Alarm to be set high because I only use it for the purposes of being a wakeup clock.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Did you guys know that alarms still ring when your device is set to silent? So during the night you can increase volume and silence ringtone, then when you wake up you can decrease volume and unsilence! Isn't that amazing?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Did you guys know that alarms still ring when your device is set to silent? So during the night you can increase volume and silence ringtone, then when you wake up you can decrease volume and unsilence! Isn't that amazing?

No, it isn't amazing. Sometimes people set alarms during the day that they want to vibrate only, which takes more work as you have to make sure the alarm ringtone is set to None.

It also prevents you from having a quiet ringtone and loud alarm during the night. Vibrate only can travel through floors easily.

Wouldn't hurt to have a dedicated alarm volume control.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012

I don't think you've really captured the many combinations of ringer and alarm volumes that might be desired in this 'solution'. There's the possibility of forgetting to do one or the other, for a start; why should you have to manually intervene every morning and every evening on a smartphone? I have turned off using the hardware buttons for ringer control to prevent accidental adjustments of it, and so changing the alarm volume requires going into Settings >Sounds.

As amazing as you think that is, it would be fair more amazing, and simpler, to have a dedicated volume slider in the alarm app.

What's really confusing me is that people thought alarm and ringer had separate controls before iOS 7, as if iOS 7 took away this feature. Really? Am I just dumb or really forgetful? I don't think this ever existed, for example see this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1254529/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.