PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple Push "Intel Inside"?

MacBytes
Dec 16, 2005, 02:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Will Apple Push "Intel Inside"? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051216152915)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

arkmannj
Dec 16, 2005, 02:40 PM
I really don't care if they "push" 'Intel inside'. in the past I did make comments that I didn't want a sticker on my mac unless it was on the back. However, now I find myself not caring. If Intel gives Apple some special deal and can help keep costs down for us then I can remove the sticker.

at first I hated the idea of "Intel inside" now I don't care if the processor is IBM or Freescale or AMD or _____ as long as it runs like a champ!

(I know the article isn't just referrinhg to stickers, I'm mostly using that as an easy example to give.)

nagromme
Dec 16, 2005, 02:53 PM
Of course Apple will push "Intel inside." (Or "Intel Core Duo," or "Viiv," or whatever.) The Intel connection has value to them, especially for switchers--and it's not like Apple could hide or downplay the fact that they've gone Intel, even if they wanted to :)

I don't expect garish stickers on PowerBooks, but some kind of marking someplace on the machine is likely. And on Apple ads? For sure. And the home page of Apple.com. Steel yourself :p

"Hard to imagine?" The hard to imagine part is Apple going Intel at all. And that's old news.

Relating to cost: if Intel will help pay for my next Mac, then they can have their sticker and I will scrape it off in .02 seconds. But I can believe Intel would cut special deals with Apple anyway: they have wanted Apple for a long time, AND they know that physical styling is part of Apple's appeal. They may very well accept that their publicity from the Apple deal will come in OTHER ways besides stickers. And I'm sure Intel will get plenty of valuable publicity to keep them happy.

iGary
Dec 16, 2005, 02:54 PM
They better ****ing not.

Cooknn
Dec 16, 2005, 02:56 PM
I read somewhere that the answer is yes. That the agency working on the new television spot was Chiat/Day (I suppose anyone could have guessed that though). Anyways, it wouldn't bother me. I'm looking forward to Intel Inside my Mac. Free advertising if they do. How could Apple pass that up?

Photorun
Dec 16, 2005, 03:06 PM
They better ****ing not.

I'm with you there, though I'm not a whining "waahhh I want PPC, Apple promised" (you nothing) type, if Intel can lead Apple to the promised land (better marketshare/acceptance in business/more dominance/self evident better buy than Windoze machines) BRING IT ON! Just don't put that stupid logo on the case.

The question is begged though, what will Apple call the new machine... G6? G4.5? Guesses?

danny_w
Dec 16, 2005, 03:11 PM
I certainly hope not, but I expect that they will anyway. I still think that in the long run Apple is going to be sorry that they ever thought they could deal successfully Intel. I think that ultimately it will turn Apple into just another commodity vendor like everybody else (but then again, that appears to be where Apple is headed anyway), but I currently have 3 Macs (2 iMacs and a Mini) all running PPC, so I am set for the forseeable furture anyway.

nagromme
Dec 16, 2005, 03:12 PM
I think the PowerBook will be called just PowerBook, or PowerBook D (for dual or Duo).

iBook will be just iBook and Mac Mini will be just Mac Mini. And some models may have other names after them, in the style of iPod Nano, that don't have to do with the CPU.

PowerMac will (eventually) become PowerMac D or Dual for dual-core Conroe, and PowerMac Quad for dual-dual.

iMac G5 will be just iMac again, or iMac D.

Purely guesses :)

PlaceofDis
Dec 16, 2005, 03:16 PM
the naming scheme will be interesting...

i dont care if they push intel or not. i just want to use OS X on great hardware. and no intel logos all over the place. i can stand a sticker or two. but no more!

nagromme
Dec 16, 2005, 03:18 PM
I certainly hope not, but I expect that they will anyway. I still think that in the long run Apple is going to be sorry that they ever thought they could deal successfully Intel.
Just wondering, what chips would you choose instead of Intel's Yonah/Merom/Conroe/beyond, for the coming years of PowerBooks and Macs?

Apple already knows they can't deal successfully with Freescale and IBM. Laptops especially have revealed that fact. At least Intel (and AMD--now a possibility) WANTS to make chips for personal computers. IBM and Freescale's profits lie with other devices, like game consoles and embedded CPUs. It would have been awesome if IBM and Freescale had generations of affordable, power-efficient, mobile-ready, high-speed PowerPCs ready to deliver and in sufficient quantities. But unfortunately they don't. The bright side: Apple had a backup plan ready just in case!

Cooknn
Dec 16, 2005, 03:20 PM
I think the PowerBook will be called just PowerBook, or PowerBook D (for dual or Duo).The supposed Chiat/Day spot that I referred to was for a PowerBook Duo. Has a nice ring to it ;)

danny_w
Dec 16, 2005, 03:29 PM
Just wondering, what chips would you choose instead of Intel's Yonah/Merom/Conroe/beyond, for the coming years of PowerBooks and Macs?

Apple already knows they can't deal successfully with Motorola and IBM. Laptops especially have revealed that fact. At least Intel (and AMD--now a possibility) WANTS to make chips for personal computers. IBM and Motorola's profits lie with other devices, like game consoles and embedded CPUs.
I don't have an answer to that question, but if Apple thinks that they will get favorable pricing and product engineering from Intel (and apparently that is what Steve Jobs thinks, at least publicly), I think that they are very much mistaken. Intel will always have much bigger customers and much more important projects to consume their time, and Apple will have to make do with whatever Intel feeds them. They will now be a much smaller fish in a much larger sea.

greatdevourer
Dec 16, 2005, 03:43 PM
They better ****ing not. I second that. Intel inside... pah

The question is begged though, what will Apple call the new machine... G6? G4.5? Guesses? How many fscking times do I have to type this! It will never be called "G". That refers to Generation Of PowerPC. Also (far as I remember), they would have to ask the permission of IBM, Motorolla and Freescale

nagromme
Dec 16, 2005, 03:46 PM
Intel will always have much bigger customers and much more important projects to consume their time, and Apple will have to make do with whatever Intel feeds them. They will now be a much smaller fish in a much larger sea.
I suspect that Apple already HAD answers from Intel on both engineering and pricing, before making their decision.

You seem to be assuming Intel is not interested in Apple. That's not actually true:

* Apple's not THE biggest PC maker, but they are one of the biggest, and one of very few profitable ones, and their sales are growing.

* Intel has been very open--even BEFORE Apple's decision--about wanting to make Apple a customer.

* Apple's a much more exciting, high-profile partner than other PC makers. Great PR, great mindshare for Intel.

* Apple's not bound to Microsoft--and that means Apple can adopt Intel technologies freely. Intel can innovate faster if they have a big, non-Windows customer to be an early adopter. Intel WANTS to be more free of Microsoft.

In addition, if Intel lets Apple down (like IBM and Freescale already have), Apple still has a second potential supplier: AMD. They need not be tied to Intel forever if it's not worthwhile.

Best of all, even if Intel is late on some chips (it WILL happen sometimes), at least now Apple's competitors will be in the same boat.

Lastly, even if the Intel change isn't "perfect"--that's life, and that's business. Sometimes there IS no perfect option--you have to choose the BEST option. Would you agree that there are no better options for Apple? If so, then Apple has chosen the best one.

~Shard~
Dec 16, 2005, 03:50 PM
Not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, it might not be a bad idea for Apple to promote this, as it will help bring recognition of the switch and so forth to the PC world, who they are trying to steal market share away from. If you've made this huge transition to Intel which could revolutionize your company, might as well make everyone know about it!

On the other hand, I don't want an "Intel Inside" sticker on my beautiful Mac. :p :cool:

nagromme
Dec 16, 2005, 03:52 PM
How many fscking times do I have to type this! It will never be called "G". That refers to Generation Of PowerPC. Also (far as I remember), they would have to ask the permission of IBM, Motorolla and Freescale
I agree, I tend to think Apple won't use a "G" because Apple will want the name to be a nod to the change. However, they COULD use a G number without permission from IBM or Freescale. The G names are entirely Apple's, and Apple could use the G in any way they wish to. No IBM or Freescale products use that name. (For instance, Apple could ship a PowerMac G6 with Conroe and say that the G6 means it's the sixth generation of PowerMac, or the 6th generation after 68000... or that it means nothing at all except for being newer than G5. Likewise with "PowerMac"--once upon a time it was a reference to PowerPC, but it's Apple's name to use as they wish--it can just mean "power." PowerBook, for example, did NOT mean PowerPC to begin with.)

szark
Dec 16, 2005, 03:56 PM
I could live with seeing the Intel logo on print and TV advertisements. But I don't want to see one on my computer -- if necessary, hide it on the bottom/in the back with the serial number.

~Shard~
Dec 16, 2005, 04:12 PM
How many fscking times do I have to type this! It will never be called "G". That refers to Generation Of PowerPC. Also (far as I remember), they would have to ask the permission of IBM, Motorolla and Freescale

You are incorrect. The "G" moniker is actually Apple's "marketing name" for the processor and has nothing to do with IBM/Moto/Freescale. IBM sold Apple the PPC970, what Apple decides to brand it as is up to them. So yes, Apple could indeed use the "G" again, however to better differentiate these new Intel machines form the PPC machines, I agree with nagromme, and assume they would want to go with something different. :cool:

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yah I want a big *** Intel Inside logo laser etched onto the top of my PowerBook's lid and instead of a glowing Apple the etching will glow and pulse an eery blue.

*dives into his bunker before any Macrumorís residents have a chance to beat him senseless* ;) :D

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2005, 04:19 PM
PS- No I don't. Apple isn't about pimping their internal components. I expect ads, I expect in store flyers, I expect everything other then a sticker. Jobs is anal enough that he would NEVER allow any stickers on a PowerBook or iBook. Itís just not how he does things.

yellow
Dec 16, 2005, 04:24 PM
Please jebus, no stickers.

~Shard~
Dec 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
Please jebus, no stickers.

Props on the Family Guy reference... :cool:

OutThere
Dec 16, 2005, 04:27 PM
PS- No I don't. Apple isn't about pimping their internal components. I expect ads, I expect in store flyers, I expect everything other then a sticker. Jobs is anal enough that he would NEVER allow any stickers on a PowerBook or iBook. Itís just not how he does things.

The iBooks do come with stickers showing you how to eject the CD iirc. :p

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2005, 04:27 PM
Props on the Family Guy reference... :cool:

Psst....Shard...Its from the Simpsons. :cool:

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
The iBooks do come with stickers showing you how to eject the CD iirc. :p

Really? Huh. Where? Trip to the Apple store this weekend me thinks. I guess I spend more of my time at the Pro section. :p :o

Randall
Dec 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
I agree, I tend to think Apple won't use a "G" because Apple will want the name to be a nod to the change. However, they COULD use a G number without permission from IBM or Freescale. The G names are entirely Apple's, and Apple could use the G in any way they wish to. No IBM or Freescale products use that name. (For instance, Apple could ship a PowerMac G6 with Conroe and say that the G6 means it's the sixth generation of PowerMac, or the 6th generation after 68000... or that it means nothing at all except for being newer than G5. Likewise with "PowerMac"--once upon a time it was a reference to PowerPC, but it's Apple's name to use as they wish--it can just mean "power." PowerBook, for example, did NOT mean PowerPC to begin with.)Yes I think they would likely use the term 'G' to mean Generation of the line. So the Yonah x86 based version of the Powerbook could be called G5... but this would most likely cause massive amounts of confusion and flame wars on forum threads. :p My guess is that they will call them something totally different to avoid confusion. Perhaps Powerbook I1 or something to indicate Intel 1st generation. I dunno that kinda sucks. :(

yellow
Dec 16, 2005, 04:32 PM

You win a cookie!

http://wh0rd.org/cookie-monster-in-rehab.png

balamw
Dec 16, 2005, 04:36 PM
The supposed Chiat/Day spot that I referred to was for a PowerBook Duo. Has a nice ring to it ;)
Powerbook Duo is so 1992.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_Duo

What next the Mac Cube? :p

B

Sir
Dec 16, 2005, 04:36 PM
The question is begged though, what will Apple call the new machine... G6? G4.5? Guesses?

I6 :-) Mark my words!!!

Cooknn
Dec 16, 2005, 04:41 PM
Powerbook Duo is so 1992.Whoa! I didn't know that. Guess that name's ruled out :eek:

d_and_n5000
Dec 16, 2005, 04:47 PM
Depends. In ads? yes. On computers? No, at least if Steve can help it. And for the names-i doubt it will carry the "Gx" name, because: Let's say the iBooks are gonna use Yonah, and Apple dubs it "G6(pontiac is out of the picture)" Now, the iBook is hopping a number, and it will confuse someone, somewhere. likewise for the PowerMac. If it adopts Merom, it may be called "G7", but, again, it is skipping a number. They will come up with something different. I like the "Ix" moniker, personally.

~Shard~
Dec 16, 2005, 04:51 PM

Sorry my friend, do not try and challenge my advanced Family Guy knowledge. "Jebus" first made it's debut on Family Guy, not the Simpsons. :cool:

When Peter poses as room service to try to talk to the Pope, there's a brief exchange between two "road crew" guys reading a Bible which is as follows: "Huh. Hey, j'ever notice this? On page 375 it says 'Jebus'!" "It's supposed to be 'Jesus', Right?" The Simpsons episode you refer to, "Missionary: Impossible!" used this phrase as well, true, however the Family Guy episode aired first, you can check the airdates. :cool:

You win a cookie!

So if he wins a cookie for making a half-correct statement, what do I win for being a Family Guy guru? :p :D

Seasought
Dec 16, 2005, 05:14 PM
All these talks of stickers...what's to stop an etching of an intel logo somewhere discreet on the inside of the iBook or Powerbook? It might not look THAT bad...but still...unnecessary imo.

Ever see those cars that people have dozens of stickers plastered all over them? That reminds me of the laptops I see at work. :D

Randall
Dec 16, 2005, 05:25 PM
All these talks of stickers...what's to stop an etching of an intel logo somewhere discreet on the inside of the iBook or Powerbook? It might not look THAT bad...but still...unnecessary imo.

Ever see those cars that people have dozens of stickers plastered all over them? That reminds me of the laptops I see at work. :DIn the PC world they do that for advertising, but more importantly for information. Since there are SO many hardware choices available for x86, there is a pretty good reason for slapping an FYI sticker on there. It is advertising, but it's not all advertising.

That said, I doubt that Intel will muscle Apple into putting a Pentium M sticker on the Powerbooks, and I doubt even more so a laser etching to that effect. That kind of permenent labeling isn't even in the PC world. :p

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2005, 05:35 PM
Sorry my friend, do not try and challenge my advanced Family Guy knowledge. "Jebus" first made it's debut on Family Guy, not the Simpsons. :cool:

:eek: :o I could have sworn Missionary: Impossible aired before Family Guy was even on the air.....DOH! sorry.

http://www.pyromosh.org/images/bbs/have_a_cookie.gif

balamw
Dec 16, 2005, 05:36 PM
Whoa! I didn't know that. Guess that name's ruled out :eek:
Hey, people thought there was no way the nano could be called an iPod nano, given Creative's competing (ok, well trying to compete) product. You never know what the Steve will do....

Next thing you know, Macs will have two button mice...

B

~Shard~
Dec 16, 2005, 05:38 PM
:eek: :o I could have sworn Missionary: Impossible aired before Family Guy was even on the air.....DOH! sorry.

http://www.pyromosh.org/images/bbs/have_a_cookie.gif

Haha - no worries, just wanted to set the record straight. ;)

P.S. Thanks for the cookie.

Yvan256
Dec 16, 2005, 05:48 PM
I think the PowerBook will be called just PowerBook, or PowerBook D (for dual or Duo).

DuoBook? :D

Yvan256
Dec 16, 2005, 05:54 PM
I don't have an answer to that question, but if Apple thinks that they will get favorable pricing and product engineering from Intel (and apparently that is what Steve Jobs thinks, at least publicly), I think that they are very much mistaken. Intel will always have much bigger customers and much more important projects to consume their time, and Apple will have to make do with whatever Intel feeds them. They will now be a much smaller fish in a much larger sea.

Except for a small detail: Apple used to be a big fish floating in a pond. IBM and FreeScale don't seem to want to make water anymore... They're engineering soils instead.

As for Intel, aside from chipsets, computer processors are their core business. They invent new types of water.

Apple, as a fish, had to go with Intel in order to survive.

Bad analogies on my part, but I did start with your "fish/sea" comments. ;)

AlmostThere
Dec 17, 2005, 03:37 AM
To satisfy both Apple and Intel - no stickers ;)

Dec 17, 2005, 05:28 AM
I really hope that Apple won't have any kind of Intel sticker plastered anywhere on the computer. They didn't before. What they could do is maybe plaster it all over the manual or something like that instead. The same with the commercials, although I haven't seen any Mac commercials in quite a while. The commercial's flow always stops when that dumb chime and logo appears in Windoze machine's commercials.

Also, I hope the naming system has some logical sense still. It was easy for everyday people to recognise what is the newest computer with the G3, G4, etc. naming system. If they start using Intel's naking, I for one wouldn't have a clue what has the newest chip and sure a lot of other people don't, either. What's the difference between Yoah and Viiv? I don't know and I don't care. However, if one was called "5" and the other "6", then I know what to upgrade to.

Cooknn
Dec 17, 2005, 08:00 AM
To satisfy both Apple and Intel - no stickers ;)
37028Uh, no.

shamino
Dec 19, 2005, 10:33 AM
Also, I hope the naming system has some logical sense still. It was easy for everyday people to recognise what is the newest computer with the G3, G4, etc. naming system. If they start using Intel's naking, I for one wouldn't have a clue what has the newest chip and sure a lot of other people don't, either. What's the difference between Yoah and Viiv? I don't know and I don't care. However, if one was called "5" and the other "6", then I know what to upgrade to.
Their naming convention probably won't mention the processor at all. It will be just "iMac, iBook, PowerMac, PowerBook, etc". The currently-shipping model will be the fastest versions to-date, period.

As for what the chips themselves will be named, Intel's naming scheme is similarly simple. Everything is either "Celeron", "Pentium" or "Xeon", depending on whether you mean the low-, medium-, or high-end series. These are the names Apple will use on their spec-sheets, for whoever cares.

All those other names (Yonah, Merom, etc.) are all internal code-names that will never appear on the shipping product.

shamino
Dec 19, 2005, 10:36 AM
Really? Huh. Where? Trip to the Apple store this weekend me thinks. I guess I spend more of my time at the Pro section. :p :o
When you unpack an iBook, it has a sticker in the upper-right corner informing you about the eject key.

Everybody peels this off and discards it soon after unpacking. So does Apple for their demonstrator models in the store.

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 10:44 AM
Everybody peels this off and discards it soon after unpacking. So does Apple for their demonstrator models in the store.

To minimize the "how do I open the CD drive" calls I get, I leave it on..

I say minimize because you'd be surprised the amount of people who never see that sticker and still ask.