PDA

View Full Version : PCs: The Buzz Is Back

MacBytes
Dec 16, 2005, 02:54 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: PCs: The Buzz Is Back (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051216155435)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Passante
Dec 16, 2005, 03:05 PM
"An Intel-based Apple will move the Mac toward the computer mainstream while keeping its distinctiveness"

Ahh the stupidity.

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2005, 03:28 PM
"An Intel-based Apple will move the Mac toward the computer mainstream while keeping its distinctiveness"

Ahh the stupidity.

Ahh the irony. Someone claiming stupidity without thinking things through. I know of at least 3 people who would never touch OS X who are interested in an Apple PowerBook to run XP and eventually Vista. There isn't anything stupid with putting your foot in the door of a 90%-ish market share and for those people who do load Windows there is still that slim chance that somewhere down the line they will either dual boot or simply convert over to OS X.

greatdevourer
Dec 16, 2005, 03:45 PM
Ahh the irony. Someone claiming stupidity without thinking things through. I know of at least 3 people who would never touch OS X who are interested in an Apple PowerBook to run XP and eventually Vista. There isn't anything stupid with putting your foot in the door of a 90%-ish market share and for those people who do load Windows there is still that slim chance that somewhere down the line they will either dual boot or simply convert over to OS X. Even now you have the people who buy PowerBooks and iBooks to run Linux on

Randall
Dec 16, 2005, 04:22 PM
Even now you have the people who buy PowerBooks and iBooks to run Linux onThe Holy Trinity of ultimate computing. Triple boot into OS X, Windows, or Linux. Not that you need to... but the option is there! :)

Seasought
Dec 16, 2005, 09:18 PM
It will be interesting to see how many more people switch once the Mactels arrive...I wonder if it is going to be a big jump or a gradual progression over time, or if it is going to largely stay about the same with regard to market share between Apple and MS.

It feels like Apple is taking the fight to the enemy, so to speak. Competition is a good thing.

generik
Dec 16, 2005, 09:23 PM
The Holy Trinity of ultimate computing. Triple boot into OS X, Windows, or Linux. Not that you need to... but the option is there! :)

Maybe they will port "open"firmware to x86 and stick it to Microsoft :)

macnulty
Dec 16, 2005, 09:35 PM
Ahh the irony. Someone claiming stupidity without thinking things through. I know of at least 3 people who would never touch OS X who are interested in an Apple PowerBook to run XP and eventually Vista. There isn't anything stupid with putting your foot in the door of a 90%-ish market share and for those people who do load Windows there is still that slim chance that somewhere down the line they will either dual boot or simply convert over to OS X.

the stupidity is what does the computing experience of OSX have to do with PPC or Intel? Business is not built on slim chances, the switch to intel has has to do with corporate buyers. Apple may never license OSX to other OE's but I can see Apple licensing OSX to large corporate users with a bunch of intel boxes just waiting to dump Windows. Throw in some emulation, and you got promising expansion going on.

Photorun
Dec 16, 2005, 09:36 PM
Someone claiming stupidity without thinking things through. I know of at least 3 people who would never touch OS X who are interested in an Apple PowerBook to run XP and eventually Vista.

No, someone wanting to run the train wreck that is XPee or then the uber piece of crap that is turning out to be Vista on a Powerbook, THAT my friend is for the three people you mention ULTIMATE stupidity. May they throw themselves over a cliff because people like that shouldn't live.

nagromme
Dec 17, 2005, 01:14 AM
It will be interesting to see how many more people switch once the Mactels arrive...I wonder if it is going to be a big jump or a gradual progression over time, or if it is going to largely stay about the same with regard to market share between Apple and MS.
Gradual progression--but faster than before. That's my call.

greatdevourer
Dec 17, 2005, 03:05 AM
The Holy Trinity of ultimate computing. Triple boot into OS X, Windows, or Linux. Not that you need to... but the option is there! :) How is Windows part of a Holy Trinity :confused: BeOS, surely

Maybe they will port "open"firmware to x86 and stick it to Microsoft :) Can't see them doing that - the dev kits don't run OF, and it would mean that any other current x86 OS would never run on it (well, maybe they could put summat like PBL on it, but that'd make it stupidly slow)

javabear90
Dec 17, 2005, 11:49 AM
If I ever got an intel 'book. I would defiantly tripple boot. However, I would use OS X for most things. However for gaming Windows is defiantly the top choice. All of mac soft's ports are horribly slow. The only decent fps for mac in terms of preformance is halo. Only becuase it was originally made for Mac. Linux is good for all sorts of stuff, but I probably would not use it much. Actually, my brother is going to get and intel powerbook so he can boot all three. He is a die hard linux fan, but does not like any of the other manufacture's offerings.

nagromme
Dec 17, 2005, 03:34 PM
I will never boot my Mac to Windows, because then a Windows virus/malware could wipe out my Mac stuff. True, Windows can't read an HFS partition, but there are still at least two ways this could happen:

1. The malware could just wipe the whole hard disk, all partitions.

2. The malware could include software to read HFS--then it could modify or steal/transmit my Mac files, not just delete them.

I know #1 is rare and #2 has never been done yet. But both COULD be done, and then my Mac is subject to Windows for its security. No thank you.

Instead, if I boot Windows at all, I want to boot Windows on a virtual machine, like VPC does, running off of a hardfile and virtualized hardware. A little overhead? I can deal with that. But then Windows isn't aware of the hard disk at ALL--it thinks its hardfile IS the hard disk. I like that security now with VPC, and I'll want it in future too--with a new version of VPC or some other product. (I'm willing to pay for it. BUT I will try Darwine first!)

I can then have my Mac running, at full speed:

Mac OS X
Linux
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Amiga OS
Commodore 64
VIC-20
:)

I'm already running all of the above except Vista and Linux on my G4. (And all at full speed except for XP.)

sjk
Dec 18, 2005, 12:46 AM
If I ever got an intel 'book. I would defiantly tripple boot.With a spell checker? :)

tjwett
Dec 19, 2005, 06:37 AM
first Intel Mac i buy will likely be a mini to run BeOS on, can't wait.

Bakey
Dec 19, 2005, 07:22 AM
With a spell checker? :)

Not necessarily! May be he will be defiant in his approach to triple booting!?

Although I think it's safe to assume the poster actually meant "definitely"!! :D

Or, are we referring to "tripple" re. "triple"... :confused: I'll stop now... ;)

PCMacUser
Dec 19, 2005, 07:50 AM
No, someone wanting to run the train wreck that is XPee or then the uber piece of crap that is turning out to be Vista on a Powerbook, THAT my friend is for the three people you mention ULTIMATE stupidity. May they throw themselves over a cliff because people like that shouldn't live.
Whoa! Take a chill pill dude. You shouldn't say that about people.

I am someone who wants to run XP on a Powerbook (assuming they catch up with PC laptops), and eventually Vista. My iBook is great - I like it a lot, and OS X is productive, but it's just not as much fun as XP :) And before you launch into the oh so predictable 'what? fun removing viruses and spyware 24/7?'. No, I know how to use a computer and they've never been a problem for me.

markjones05
Dec 19, 2005, 10:00 AM
I will never boot my Mac to Windows, because then a Windows virus/malware could wipe out my Mac stuff. True, Windows can't read an HFS partition, but there are still at least two ways this could happen:

1. The malware could just wipe the whole hard disk, all partitions.

2. The malware could include software to read HFS--then it could modify or steal/transmit my Mac files, not just delete them.

I know #1 is rare and #2 has never been done yet. But both COULD be done, and then my Mac is subject to Windows for its security. No thank you.

Instead, if I boot Windows at all, I want to boot Windows on a virtual machine, like VPC does, running off of a hardfile and virtualized hardware. A little overhead? I can deal with that. But then Windows isn't aware of the hard disk at ALL--it thinks its hardfile IS the hard disk. I like that security now with VPC, and I'll want it in future too--with a new version of VPC or some other product. (I'm willing to pay for it. BUT I will try Darwine first!)

I can then have my Mac running, at full speed:

Mac OS X
Linux
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Amiga OS
Commodore 64
VIC-20
:)

I'm already running all of the above except Vista and Linux on my G4. (And all at full speed except for XP.)

If you designated an external HD to install windows on would the rest of your computer including your other hd running osx be safe if you got a windows virus? The only reason I want windows is so i can run games ive been dying to play for years.

shamino
Dec 19, 2005, 12:12 PM
If you designated an external HD to install windows on would the rest of your computer including your other hd running osx be safe if you got a windows virus?
Nope. Windows is perfectly capable of seeing any and all drives you have attached. If they're formatted with something incompatible (like HFS+), Windows may not be able to mount the volume, but you can still wipe it, re-partition it, or re-format existing partitions.
The only reason I want windows is so i can run games ive been dying to play for years.
It will be cheaper and easier to just buy a Windows PC to use as a gaming console. Given the lowering prices of PCs and the inreasing price of game consoles, this isn't such a bad idea. And if you aren't into network gaming, you don't have to put that computer on your network - it is highly unlikely that you'll get a virus from your purchased game CDs.