Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Next round of Next Gen console release.

I've already played it at the Microsoft Store - they've had a beta release unit for about 2 weeks.

It is actually pretty good. The controller is really comfortable - more than the XB360 (for me at least). The left and right triggers have feedback in addition to the the controller's (kinda strange).

Was at the MS store for a short time yesterday, and all the units in the store that show on the video wall in the XBox section have been replaced with XBox One's (production I assume).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Anyone?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/xbox-one-early-adopters-reporting-hardware-problems

With today’s launch of Xbox One, some owners are discovering various problems with their next-gen console.

An IGN reader's system is in an endless cycle of crashing and rebooting. Another has issues with his headset outputting nothing but static. Others have seen the "E100" notification, indicating a total hardware failure caused by an update error. The Xbox One troubleshooting page notes that this error requires you submit your Xbox One for repair.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I believe the rest of the owners are busy playing with them. I get mine soon from UPS I'll report back then.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
jesus.jpg

That controller...is sublime.

(I know I'm probably using that meme wrong. I'm pretty sure that was my face when I held the controller for the first time though)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Was paranoid but luckily I didn't have any of these problems. I've been playing with the Kinect and configuring apps / settings for the past couple hours and looking at game videos. Also set up a profile for the girlfriend

Random thoughts

TV integration is better than I expected and way better than TVii, I'm impressed. Going back and forth between apps and the Spurs game right now. My XB1 is staying as a cable box pass through. I also set up the console to turn on/off the TV which is kinda cool

Controller is awesome... I normally don't care about industrial design but I keep admiring the chrome D-pad on the Day One controller

Profile set up for my gf was kinda confusing. She'd say Xbox show my stuff and it would go to my UI instead of hers. I think it's because the Kinect was training the AI on whoever was holding the controller, which was me typing in stuff

Avatar app wasn't working for some reason

XBox Fitness is a mashup of free workouts and paid programs going up to $30. Not a lot of Beachbody stuff right now, mostly Jillian Michaels and Tracy Anderson

What games did you get folks and your honest impressions?

Anyone get Ryse or Dead Rising?

Downloading Dead Rising and 2K14 right now. Only at 5% so it's gonna be awhile

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Profile set up for my gf was kinda confusing. She'd say Xbox show my stuff and it would go to my UI instead of hers. I think it's because the Kinect was training the AI on whoever was holding the controller, which was me typing in stuff

i as far as i remember some reviewer had the same experience with the "show my stuff command" ...he speculated that this command currently is only reacting to the voice and not analyzing the picture/lip movements (which kinect can according to some comments)

congrats on your new system for all who managed to snatch one up !

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
Dont forget about the many reported bad BD drives too..

https://vine.co/v/hFpi0LDwhtv

Looks like maybe MS hasn't learned anything since last gen when it comes to hardware quality.

I actually have a bad drive as well. Spoke to microsoft last night and ill have a replacement at my house in 2 days along with a box and label to ship mine back.

Am I happy? Most certainly not, but microsoft has done the best they can for me.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
What games did you get folks and your honest impressions?

Anyone get Ryse or Dead Rising?

I'm just playing killer instincts until Sunday, then I'm grabbing a deal where you buy two games get one free and stacking with a 30% off coupon and grabbing 6 games for $180 then might sell 2 of them at $55 each.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Chances are it'll just be same amount of folks as PS4 owners with HDMI issue, that being tiny amount compared to those sold. Only time will tell.

Yeah, I'm betting the 99.6% with working XBones are playing/downloading the crap out of it...and the 0.4% with hardware failures are on the forums flaming it left and right, which I can understand, but geez people!

----------

Controller is awesome... I normally don't care about industrial design but I keep admiring the chrome D-pad on the Day One controller

Odd that you would be on an Apple site, and possibly a fan of Apple products :p

But since you don't care about "industrial design," I've been meaning to take a photo of the XBone and color it beige...it bears a striking resemblance to the old Mac IIci and Quadra 700, which was a quite stunning design, in 1992 :D

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Any more impressions?

I caved in and ordered a Day One edition with Forza and Ghosts which should arrive early next week, but I already have buyers remorse :p

Mainly because my brother who is a die hard Xbox guy admitted that while nice, there wasn't much to be excited about at the moment :eek:

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
Any more impressions?

I caved in and ordered a Day One edition with Forza and Ghosts which should arrive early next week, but I already have buyers remorse :p

Mainly because my brother who is a die hard Xbox guy admitted that while nice, there wasn't much to be excited about at the moment :eek:

Although my disc drive is faulty and im waiting for a replacement, im able to use the system and play my downaloadable games and I have to say its amazing. Kinect has yet to fail on me, and the whole system is snappy as hell. Its awesome trust me.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
A friend of mine got the Day One edition, but his Kinect has already died and needs to be exchanged. Other than that he is liking it.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Anyone else? Really amazed at how little chatter there is here, good or bad. Are you all too busy being stuck on hold with Micro$oft due to hardware problems? Sitting catatonic with controller in hand due to the sheer awesomeness of it all? Working, sleeping, eating, reproducing, as the Kinect has instructed you to, lest you displease it?

What gives? Report and represent, people!

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
i as far as i remember some reviewer had the same experience with the "show my stuff command" ...he speculated that this command currently is only reacting to the voice and not analyzing the picture/lip movements (which kinect can according to some comments

I learned you can retrain the Kinect to recognize you on the profile screen so I did that a couple times and the problem's gone. Also I didn't know it could read lips, that's interesting

Odd that you would be on an Apple site, and possibly a fan of Apple products :p

I can appreciate it, it's just not a big deal to me. I just tend to focus more on what the thing can do than materials and stuff like that

Any more impressions?

I had a busy weekend - 3 birthdays to go to, but I got a few hours in.

There's a slow installation issue going around that my console has. Supposedly I can fix it by cycling the console's wifi settings but I haven't tried yet

I'm sold on it as a TV passthrough. The Xbox Record and Upload is also gold. When you browse games on the xbox store, the videos are actually in-game footage uploaded by players and posted realtime.

I've been playing NBA2K and Dead Rising 3. For Dead Rising 3, I'm only on Chapter 1 but the most next-gen thing about it is the ridiculous number of zombies on screen at any given time. In Chapter 0 there's a part with a hole in the floor that goes into a sewer full of zombies. Zombies are on the other side of the hole. What you're supposed to do is draw their attention so they go toward you and fall in the hole and you can jump across. I didn't see the hole and fell right in the sewer. I then spent the next 5 mins killing what felt like 50-60 zombies, I don't know how I didn't die.

And first time I got in a car, I just drove around for 10 mins running over zombies and racking up points. Felt like Carmageddon on juice

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Although my disc drive is faulty and im waiting for a replacement, im able to use the system and play my downaloadable games and I have to say its amazing. Kinect has yet to fail on me, and the whole system is snappy as hell. Its awesome trust me.

Had a play on my brothers console, it's great.

It's only a matter of time before one graces my lounge, but I still can't decide whether to keep the unit that arrives tomorrow. Knowing me, I'll see the box and get all excited and decide to keep it. But I know that after playing Forza for a week, the system will just sit there until something new comes out for it.

If only they made it backwards compatible, it'd be easier to justify.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
X-Box One won't even be out until 2014 in Europe. Stupid decision, this is gonna give the PS4 (which comes out November 29th) a serious advantage over the holiday period.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
X-Box One won't even be out until 2014 in Europe. Stupid decision, this is gonna give the PS4 (which comes out November 29th) a serious advantage over the holiday period.

Um, what? It launched last Friday? Not all European countries though...just the ones they care about! :p

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Well, it didn't launch in Belgium, insignificant country, I admit...

They've obviously favoured markets that will bring in the biggest numbers over the holiday period.

It does kind of suck that they've prioritised countries like that though. I read that Microsoft has been pretty ****** in general with their distribution network. Like last minute allocation cuts to independent stores (with pre-orders already paid for) in favour of big chains like GAME and Amazon.

"We run an indie game shop and are preparing for the next generation heavyweights due this month. We received a frustrating call from our official Microsoft supplier to tell us our Xbox One pre-orders were being culled to less than a quarter of our order. Now this is only day one stock and we are hoping to get the rest sooner rather than later. We were told by the supplier that Microsoft reduced their numbers last minute."

Link:http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/23/xbox-one-vs-indie-game-shops-readers-feature-4198231/

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
I love the interface and the controller and I personally think the console looks beautiful. Not as sleek as the PS4, but I love the look.

The games I have are Ghosts, BF4, and NBA 2k14. 2k looks gorgeous. Ghosts looks pretty much the same as the 360 version however. I haven't played BF yet.

The tv integration is very cool. I use AT&T Uverse and it picked up everything with no problem. However, some of my channels are missing along with some channels not being correct on the guide when I go to view them.

Everything is very fluid and fast though. I can switch between playing a game and watching tv or going to an app with no lag or hiccups.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
Got mine on day one

Works rather flawlessly for being this soon after launch. I'm very happy with it. Sure, Kinect won't catch a command here or there, but typically I'm saying the command wrong or not projecting my voice. I'm still getting used to it. It works much better than i expected as far as that goes. The controller might be my favorite ever. No lie. I like it that much. I've been a gamer since coleco vision, so i feel like i can make that judgement call for myself.
The TV guide is pretty cool, but I'll admit i wish it controlled the dvr controls on my cable box, but I'm hopeful that might just be an update away from existing. It seems like the next logical step IMO. It's really all the tv experience this xbox is missing. Give me a reason not to have to pick up that remote, or ever look at another twc menu.

I have three games.

Cod ghosts- pretty ok but not as great as I hoped. Feels rushed. Graphics look nice but game feels a little incomplete to me. I'm a longtime cod player, and that's just how i feel about it. For the first time in several years, I might not buy the map packs for this release.
Forza 5- simply beautiful. All i hoped for, and more. Sometimes the menu set ups are a little wonky and unintuitive, especially in multiplayer. Overall a great game tho.
Killer instinct. Looks cool but honeslty I'm not a fighting game type guy. I'll give it more time eventually.

Overall my only gripes are these, and I could see some, if not all being changed in updates.
1. Menus are not intuitive all the time. Like partys. Or deleting a game save. Or how do i get to my storage? Any 360 user should be able to find things without getting lost, but this is not always the case. Needs mucho polishing. On the upside, I'm not opposed to how things look, i just don't care for how its all arranged everywhere. Especially settings.

2. Party system is mostly broken. Me and a friend got into a party and played forza together, but it was not easy. This has got to change. Also, why the hell do i have to tell it to be in party chat? Should be by default. Always has been. I don't want to talk to teenagers if I'm partied up with friends. That's the whole point. Sure i can select it, but it should be in party chat already if I'm in a party.

3. Why the hell do i have to leave the damn thing on if i want my tv on? I leave a tv on in the house when i leave for the dogs. I don't want my xbox on 24-7. I suppose my assumption about an hdmi pass through was that the signal would just pass thru without the Xbox being powered on. Not the case. Really not cool with this. May lead me to unconnecting it from the cable box. Sorry microsoft but u shoulda thought about that. U should just allow the signal to pass through when the xbox is off, if that is possible, and I'd be hard pressed to believe its not.

4. Dvr functionality for tv. It's a must have, and in the end it will decide just whether i let my xbox control my cable tv experience or not. Use that industrial IR blaster like u should have. If my 7 year old remote can do it, xbox can do it. Figure it out.

I realize its early and much of this could change, it's just my observations over the past few days. I love the xbox, these are just the tweaks i would like to see addressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.