Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Interesting article in The Register suggesting that Apple were set to announce iRingtones which could be transferred by Bluetooth to mobiles as part of iTunes and iLife 06.

They are saying that the phone companies kicked up a fuss... although as far as I'm aware most ringtones in Europe aren't sold by the phone companies but by people like Jamster who I'd love Apple to put out of business.

I'm also curious about this since some US carriers cripple Bluetooth so that it can only transfer certain data on the phones so not sure why this was going to irritate those companies anyhow.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Ringtones is like a $3 billion a year industry for the cell phone companies. Anybody trying to compete in what is historically a competition-free segment will be met fiercely at the Gates.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Lacero said:
Ringtones is like a $3 billion a year industry for the cell phone companies. Anybody trying to compete in what is historically a competition-free segment will be met fiercely at the Gates.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Wow, $3 billion a year? What's wrong with the regular "ring ring" sound that phones are supposed to make? And who in their right mind spends $3 on a 30 second clip from a second rate pop song?

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
SummerBreeze said:
Wow, $3 billion a year? What's wrong with the regular "ring ring" sound that phones are supposed to make? And who in their right mind spends $3 on a 30 second clip from a second rate pop song?

I make my own ringtones from garageband

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
chavs, i swear they have to have at least 30 "bling" tones on their phones, personally if i had a phone i'd make my own, and i'd end up just using imperial march.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple axes RingTone iTunes Plan?

TheRegister.co.uk claims that Apple had big plans to introduce ringtone sales into the iTunes Music Store. Users were also reportedly given the capability to remix the ringtones before transfering them to their phone.

The new feature was reported to be a headline feature of iLife '06 at Macworld San Francisco. According to The Register, however, it has been cancelled just weeks before the supposed announcement.

A source described the feature, which included integration with GarageBand and Flickr, as "giving ringtones the Apple makeover".

It's unclear why the feature was cancelled.

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Macrumors said:

TheRegister.co.uk claims that Apple had big plans to introduce ringtone sales into the iTunes Music Store. . . The new feature was reported to be a headline feature of iLife '06 at Macworld San Francisco.

A part of iLife cancelled from the iTunes Music Store? This sounds like a fundamental misunderstanding of the Apple product line.

Even if the ringtone feature were part of iTMS, I have a hard time believing that it would also depend on iLife.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Oh well, personally I've no use for it. I just use the mp3 files stored in my cell as my ring tone.

Hopefully, they have much much more bigger things to announce at Macworld than ringtones....

nagusjim

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
Silence!

just leave the things on vibrate anyways. then we don't have to hear them going off in rude places all the time!

~runs and hides~

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I'm sure it has something to do with the cellular carriers. They're almost as bad if not worse than the RIAA.

Fishes,
narco.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Headline feature? Integration with GarageBand and Flickr? I just don't get it.

First off, ringtones as a major feature? Doesn't make sense, or they've somehow revolutionized a ring. Right.

GarageBand, alright, but Flickr? What in the world does Flickr have to do with ringtones?
-Chase

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Gotta love the MP3 feature on my SE 710a. I just go pick out my favorite song in iTunes, snip it up a bit and transfer via bluetooth. Nice, free and easy.

jon

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
how bizarre to be planning something so big and shelve it so near to launch... that's definately the work of the mobile providers...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
though i have to admit it's a close call between thriller and imperial martch, the trouble is if my phones playing out thrilla i'm more likely to wait a bit before picking up.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Applespider said:
They are saying that the phone companies kicked up a fuss... although as far as I'm aware most ringtones in Europe aren't sold by the phone companies but by people like Jamster who I'd love Apple to put out of business.

So what if they did? It's no business of the phone companies what Apple sell over iTMS, which can subsequently transferred to phones that support such music files.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
mkrishnan said:
Vibration in rude places is never a bad thing. Sometimes a naughty thing, yes. But never bad. :D

Yah well a friend of mine does kilt. OK he has one. The kilt in question he has, has a pocket strategically placed right in the front. So when he sat down it sat between the legs. Imagine his surprised at a party, I was there, when his Treo went off in vibrate mode. :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
SiliconAddict said:
Yah well a friend of mine does kilt. OK he has one. The kilt in question he has, has a pocket strategically placed right in the front. So when he sat down it sat between the legs. Imagine his surprised at a party, I was there, when his Treo went off in vibrate mode. :eek:

When I first received a pager at work, I was playing around with it while seated in a meeting, and I dropped it in my lap while I was doing something else, and it went off in vibrate mode, and I almost jumped out of my chair. :eek: ;) :D

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
wjdennen said:
ring tones are annoying. bleah.

All but one. I want a sound bite of Majel Barrett Roddenberry saying "Incoming subspace Communication" with a good 4 seconds of silence afterwards so it doesn't repeat over and over and over again immediately.

*shrugs*
Its a geek thing.:D

A friend of mine has a Pocket PC Phone edition where he used the text to speech synthesizer in Windows XP to capture everyone's name in his address book then associated each number with an MP3 that says the person's name and phone they are calling from. So x number would say "Silicon Addict is calling you on his cell." Y number would say "Silicon Addict is calling you on his home phone."
A lot of work but oh so cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.