Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yamadataro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I'm not sure how many D1x users are out here, but I've just found out that D1x can now generate 10M pixel images without hardware upgrade! Cool!

You need to use Nikon's updated Nikon View 3.5 or Nikon Capture software and the images need to be shot in the RAW format.

Nikon says that the D1x's CCD has been capable of generating native 10M images, but they dicided not to go for it when it was first released. For technological reasons, I guess?

Also, Nikon is updating firmware (free) and offering additional buffer memory installation (for about $190) in Japan. I'm not sure what's the situation in the US and elsewhere. I assume they are doing it?

Oh, and one more thing: Nikon will release a new Nikkor lense for D series digital cameras. The new zoom lens, DX Nikkor ED12-24mm F4G, will satisfy the need for a wider lenses for CCD's x1.5 magnification issue.

Well, I don't have to envy Canon's new 10M SLR anymore! :D

Edit: Ooops. I just realized that this story might be a little bit off of this category. Well. Since there are many creative industry guys here and it's Nikon's new *Mac software* that's making D1X capable of making 10M pix images, it's OK I guess?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Actually, for me, and my father, this is Mac related. :p

My father has a Coolpix 990, which he still uses, but he has been looking at a new Nikon camera (he couldn't think of the name, but the D1x could be it), which shoots almost perfect film quality images and costs around $1300 or whatever he paid for the 990. Once he gets that and more $dinero$ I get the 990.

And the Coolpix 990 still works with iPhoto. :cool:

eronald

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2003
Paris
Re: Nikon D1x can now generate 10M pixel images!

Originally posted by yamadataro
I'm not sure how many D1x users are out here, but I've just found out that D1x can now generate 10M pixel images without hardware upgrade! Cool!

You need to use Nikon's updated Nikon View 3.5 or Nikon Capture software and the images need to be shot in the RAW format.

Nikon says that the D1x's CCD has been capable of generating native 10M images, but they dicided not to go for it when it was first released. For technological reasons, I guess?

Hello Yamadataro,

you can get some free software that writes 10Mp 16bit linear files off my homepage. The files are actually generated by doubling the pixels vertically, which means that the D1X still has half the resolution of the 1Ds. You should play around with this crwmac software a bit, it is much more capable than the Nikon one, because you adjust the levels with curves in PS and get a lot more expsoure latitude ...

Edmund

yamadataro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
All right. After seaching thought Nikon's USA site, I've finally found a page equivalent of the Japanese site's I've seen.

* I said you can use Nikon View to do the 10M, but it appears that you need that extra software Nikon Capture ver. 3.5. Sorry about my mistake.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...DI9MjEmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0yMiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

According to this page:
"RAW images taken with the D1X can now be opened at a size of ten megapixels (4,016 x 2,616 pixels). D1X RAW images can also be opened at a size of six megapixels (3,008 x 1,960 pixels), as in earlier versions of Nikon Capture."

yamadataro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Re: Re: Nikon D1x can now generate 10M pixel images!

Originally posted by eronald
The files are actually generated by doubling the pixels vertically, which means that the D1X still has half the resolution of the 1Ds. You should play around with this crwmac software a bit, it is much more capable than the Nikon one, because you adjust the levels with curves in PS and get a lot more expsoure latitude ...

Oh, so it's not real 10M then?
I got too excited and forgot to check the sources.

But I was under the impression that D1X's CCD actually IS better than 5M, althoughty not as good as 1Ds. Isn't it a little more complicated than a simple pixel doubling, since you have to go RAW? Just curious.

I'll go and check that software you mentioned. Sounds cool. Thanks!

eronald

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2003
Paris
you can get 10M files with NC 3.5 or with Bibble on the PC, or with the *free* crwmac software I posted, BUT THESE ARE INTERPOLATED FILES ! The pixels on the D1 were cut in two horizontally for the D1X and are being cut in two vertically by the new software.

wait for PMA when Nikon is announcing a new professional camera...

Edmund

eronald

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2003
Paris
Re: Re: Re: Nikon D1x can now generate 10M pixel images!

Originally posted by yamadataro

But I was under the impression that D1X's CCD actually IS better than 5M, althoughty not as good as 1Ds. Isn't it a little more complicated than a simple pixel doubling, since you have to go RAW? Just curious.

I'll go and check that software you mentioned. Sounds cool. Thanks!

The D1x CCD is exactly half the size of the new 10MP files. I don't know how Capture interpolates the extra pixels, but I suspect they are simply doubled. The software I posted (wriiten by David Coffin) has a state-of-the art Bayer deconvolution algorithm - probably better than the one on Capture - unfortunately there are colorspace issues.

href="http://jove.prohosting.com/~eronald/crwmac

use as below. Don't forget to resize

garfield wrote:
> jeremiah johnson wrote:
> > It doesn't
> > output 48-bit images properly (since these are 36 bit NEF's to
> > start with, i assume), but the 24-bit PPM output is nice.
> Actually, given the commands:
>
> crwmac -3 file.NEF
>
> it outputs 48-bit (ie, 16 bits per channel) photoshop .psd files.
> The reason they may appear strange is that this is a linear raw
> output. Although you can make gamma selections that, I believe,
> would convert the image from linear.
>
> In Photoshop, using levels and curves you can make the conversion,
> and it's absolutely *amazing* the increase in dynamic range you get
> from the technique. There is detail in areas that are utterly
> blown out by using Nikon convert, which is not linear raw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.