PDA

View Full Version : Some PowerBook Customers Unhappy with New Screen

MacBytes
Dec 17, 2005, 01:20 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Some PowerBook Customers Unhappy with New Screen (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051217022023)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Seasought
Dec 17, 2005, 11:50 AM
It seems that the problem is incredibly widespread and Apple's lack of comment on the matter aside from 'submit it to AppleCare' doesn't really help the issue. I'm sure they're just playing the regular PR route...I just hope this doesn't resurface with their next line of Powerbooks (or whatever they decide to call their notebook computers).

I wish I could see some of these problematic Powerbooks in person - I haven't had any 'line issues' with mine thankfully.

SiliconAddict
Dec 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
How the hell do you mess up an upgrade to the display? I've rolled out god knows how many laptop models at work, I've owned two laptops myself and I've never had any problems with the display beyond the occasional dead pixel. Only Apple could mess up Rev. . . what? C hardware? :rolleyes:

~Shard~
Dec 17, 2005, 03:21 PM
How the hell do you mess up a upgrade in the display? I've rolled out god knows how many laptop models at work, I've owned two laptops myself and I've never had any problems with the display beyond the occasional dead pixel. Only Apple could mess up Rev. . . what? C hardware? :rolleyes:

Maybe Apple isn't too concerned since the dual core Yonah PowerBooks are just around the corner. :eek: ;) :cool:

nagromme
Dec 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
Different brand/model screens have different characteristics, some good, some bad. This could just be that--in which case non-Apple laptops using the same exact model screen would share the same issue. It's even possible that Apple is using multiple suppliers and the screens aren't all the same screen at all.

But if SOME individual units of the SAME screen have the problem and some don't, that would be really weird. How would that happen?

And in that case, Apple could presumably get compensation from the screen maker. How does that work, I wonder? Would Apple just get a refund on the parts, are would the screen maker reimburse Apple for the labor and shipping costs too?

Anyone have a mirror of the sample image?

I'm glad my Rev A YonahBook will have Rev B of these screens...

nagromme
Dec 17, 2005, 03:36 PM
Only Apple could mess up Rev. . . what? C hardware? :rolleyes:

The screens aren't rev C Apple hardware. I believe these are new higher-res screens, not the same as in previous revisions. And I believe Apple does not manufacture the screens.

Fred Flintstone
Dec 18, 2005, 12:09 AM
that raises a question I've meant to ask for a while - what "rev" is this?

it's almost a Rev A - DDR2 Ram, different screens; but it's the same G4 and graphics card.

is it Rev D and a half?

anyone?

California
Dec 18, 2005, 12:31 AM
It seems that the problem is incredibly widespread and Apple's lack of comment on the matter aside from 'submit it to AppleCare' doesn't really help the issue. I'm sure they're just playing the regular PR route...I just hope this doesn't resurface with their next line of Powerbooks (or whatever they decide to call their notebook computers).

I wish I could see some of these problematic Powerbooks in person - I haven't had any 'line issues' with mine thankfully.

All this may be true. But what the hell is this "graphic" detailing Apple's problems? http://news.com.com/2104-1044_3-5999088.html?tag=st.bp

Two things strike me: 1. I just realized that financial analysts read MR for tips (which is incredibly random, stupid, lazy and therefore dangerous) and 2. Some "writers" are out there with other motives, probably financial.

Uh, how many Dells etc. just fall apart after a few months? Apple may have the line issue with the PBs, just like they had the paint problem on old Tibooks but man, these are STILL THE BEST COMPUTERS EVER MADE imho.

When you are a trailblazer like Apple you become the standard by which everyone else judges you and it is a ridiculous amount of scrutiny at times. This is not to excuse Apple's lack of care but overall, I have had only GREAT experiences with Apple. Any real problem I've had with my machines was user error.

Seasought
Dec 18, 2005, 12:49 AM
All this may be true. But what the hell is this "graphic" detailing Apple's problems? http://news.com.com/2104-1044_3-5999088.html?tag=st.bp

I don't think that's specific to Apple on this site. It looks like more of a "related news" type of feature that is more pleasing (and noticable) to the eye.

I'm with you with regard to good experiences with Apple (even though I did have to replace my under-warrant Powerbook battery). I just regret not doing it sooner. :D

Live and learn I guess. Computers are finally fun again.

s10
Dec 18, 2005, 03:15 AM
Is it not more a problem with the preset COLOR LCD display profile?

When I bought my new PB 3 weeks ago, I copied all the settings from my previous PB, including my own color corrected Profile (done with pro measuring equipment)...and the screen is gorgeous.
After reading this thread, I tried the Color LCD settings and noticed the stripes...

So my screen is fine, but that COLOR LCD preset is not.

fixyourthinking
Dec 18, 2005, 10:09 AM
Some Customers Unhappy with News.com Reporting

suntzu
Dec 18, 2005, 01:12 PM
Is it not more a problem with the preset COLOR LCD display profile?

When I bought my new PB 3 weeks ago, I copied all the settings from my previous PB, including my own color corrected Profile (done with pro measuring equipment)...and the screen is gorgeous.
After reading this thread, I tried the Color LCD settings and noticed the stripes...

"The old display is crisp and solid," wrote user Jason Hilton, in one posting. "The new display has very noticeable black horizontal lines between each row of pixels. It's quite frustrating as a graphic designer."

It's kind of funny that a graphic designer would make this statement. As a graphic designer, don't you have to calibrate your equipment? He must be getting some weird colors sometimes when his stuff goes to press.

mkrishnan
Dec 18, 2005, 01:20 PM

That's really, really interesting. Thank you for sharing. I don't have one of the new PBs, but I am really surprised that a color calibration profile could have this effect. But it sounds like it is, at least, worth it for anyone who is dissatisfied to at least try your suggestion and calibrate, since it only takes a few minutes, and everyone should be doing it anyway. :)

mkrishnan
Dec 18, 2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think that's specific to Apple on this site. It looks like more of a "related news" type of feature that is more pleasing (and noticable) to the eye.

Yes, C|Net seems to slowly be incorporating that into all news items, in a corner or at the bottom, or here or there.

Silencio
Dec 19, 2005, 11:00 AM
It's kind of funny that a graphic designer would make this statement. As a graphic designer, don't you have to calibrate your equipment? He must be getting some weird colors sometimes when his stuff goes to press.

If there are persistent horizontal lines in the display, I don't think calibration will make them go away.

FWIW, I purchased and set up a new 15" Powerbook for a lucky client a couple of weeks ago, and could not for the life of me notice anything "off" about the display. It looked great to me, and I have a much more critical eye than even most of the design clients I work for. So, if there's a problem with this product line, it's not affecting every single model coming off the assembly line.