Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nigel123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hello!

At my work we currently use a programme called File Maker Pro. It's pretty much an Excel spreadsheet on speed.

The problem is it's extremely pricey, and the way ours has been set up means you need to learn a complete new language to actually code it (all about setting up databases, and other dynamic files).

I was wondering if anyone out there has a programme that would be the same.

I'm sort of looking for one that you can have:
- start date
- due date
- ownership (ingest, editing, post, vfx, completed)
- ability to have multiple users (maybe even over a network)
- logging of the job (00001, 00002, 00003, etc)
- link to iPad/iPhone (not vital)

Mainly easy to use, easy to setup, and customisable without having to learn too much. Price isn't an issue at the moment, but your ideas :)

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
There is a program called Podio that is online based. You can create projects, add deliverables (input time, status etc). We've been using it with a small group and there are some good and bad things about it. You can assign a deliverable to people, subscribe to the calendar (all deliverables or only yours) to use on your calendar app of choice.

Asana is another one we tried, but it didn't have enough of what we wanted.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was wondering if anyone out there has a program me that would be the same.

You could use a Apple's "Numbers" spread sheet. It allows the same data to be kept in iCloud and accessed either on an iPad or a Mac. or a web dowsers.

Google Docs can work too. Maybe better then Apple's product because it is MADE to be used by multiple people and it tracks who makes which change. Apple's product aren't multi-user.

Apache's "Open Office" is very mature and works on most platforms. It as a data base front end that you can set up. It works like MS Access or even Filemaker. There is a steep learning curve. It allows you to choose your own storage server Several DBMS servers are supported.). Likely over kill for a small group But it's all free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.