Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I don't know anyone who bought an iPod because it was trendy... besides, I always thought being trendy had nothing to do with the popularity of a product and everything to do with exclusivity.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Watch as those same idiots switch back to iPod after realizing all the other MP3 players are hard to use and just plain lame.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yours for only $1500.

Let's start a collection so we can find out what consumers really think of the iPod and its competitors.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I already see it with those not yet owning any mp3 player. They say they don't want an iPod because they are crap, but then come up with no valid argument against them. They only want one to be different and stand out. I can see more going for the next big rival, once we've decided what it is.

I see the sticking point generally being those who have bought into Apple in more than just the iPod. Those who have either bought a Mac, bought from the iTMS or both, are to an extent stuck with the iPod. It's the ones who haven't bought into the brand that would switch though. If you have decided to purchase a lot of music from Apple, you are happy with the product and are likely to stick with it. Since many fall into this category, I think few will switch in the near future, even with something available that is as easy to use and fashionable as the iPod.

It's had too much of an impact on society, I mean, how many have heard of Zencasts?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, now the emphasis will shift to having pre-clickwheel iPods, with retro monochrome screens, and iPod minis. Because clearly early adopters are the only ones who have claim to self-respect. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Being cool and trendy means not having to worry about being cool and trendy.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Yes, now the emphasis will shift to having pre-clickwheel iPods, with retro monochrome screens, and iPod minis. Because clearly early adopters are the only ones who have claim to self-respect. :)

I absolutely LOVE my pre-clickwheel iPod.
I just wish it had a colour screen.

And who gets a $200+ device to look cool?:confused:

If I had that kind of money laying around in my "looking cool fund" I would probably own a few thousand shares of AAPL, and have an even bigger "looking cool fund" so that I can look cooler and cooler with each day.

Heck yea, 425% growth in one quarter.(3Q2005)
It'll be at least 500% when I'm CFO.
:D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
transcript said:
SCHILLER: What?

JOBS: What?

COOK: Huh?

JOHNSON: [STARTLED SUDDENLY OUT OF A DEEP SLEEP] Bacon! Wha... huh? What?

I'm glad to see that their meetings are as professional as I am. I'll fit right in when I'm CFO!
Maybe even make them act a little more professional.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
mkrishnan said:
I agree, I have been eyeing up getting a 1G iPod for sometime, purely because it would be great to own one with a mechanical scroll wheel. It would be partly cool, but it's just a great slice of Apple history.

Think I might go looking for one this evening now I think about it.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Applespider said:
Everything stops being trendy when the massmarket starts buying it.

Fortunately, the mass market is much larger than the trendsetters and generally more concerned with how stuff works than how cool it looks.

didn't cell phones, DVD players, voicemail, email, etc. used to be trendy, too? nobody has stopped using them because they are popular with the masses and they aren't cool anymore, have they?

i hear all about how trendy the ipod is but everyone who i know who owns one likes them because they work and they are simple. people thinking of getting a new player are thinking of getting the newest ipod, not some other brand.

i think the thing about this article to notice is not that 30% of the posers will switch when ipods aren't trendy anymore, but that 70% of the posers won't switch. and doesn't apple have something like 70% of the market share for mp3 players? hmmmm....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.