PDA

View Full Version : Apple.com: 1GB iPod shuffle sold out for holiday

MacBytes
Dec 17, 2005, 02:52 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple.com: 1GB iPod shuffle sold out for holiday (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051217155257)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

~Shard~
Dec 17, 2005, 02:57 PM
Wow, great news for Apple - in a way I guess. ;) Good to see that the shuffle is still so popular, mind you I'm sure Apple would prefer to have more stock so they could sell more. ;) With the new, hot nano and cool new video iPod, it's good to see the shuffle is still a strong seller. :cool:

JDOG_
Dec 17, 2005, 03:10 PM
That's what happens when you EOL a product and yet still advertise the heck out of it....

Waiting for the new ones in January :)

DCBass
Dec 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
That's what happens when you EOL a product and yet still advertise the heck out of it....

Heck yea,

I'm counting on something with a really small screen, to just show very basic info. Perhaps the whole thing could be smaller. We'll see.

~Shard~
Dec 17, 2005, 03:19 PM

Wasn't aware the shuffle has been EOL'd - do you have a link stating this? Guess I missed that one....

nagromme
Dec 17, 2005, 03:22 PM
Hmmm... planned shortage to get people to move up to Nano?

(Nah. I doubt Apple can predict demand--or control supply--that closely.)

mikeyredk
Dec 17, 2005, 03:29 PM
Hmmm... planned shortage to get people to move up to Nano?

They better be able to… in order to be competitive against dell…

~Shard~
Dec 17, 2005, 03:30 PM

Especially when you're talking about the volume of sales the iPods do. ;)

dcv
Dec 17, 2005, 04:15 PM
Well I hope they have more stock or perhaps smaller sized/bigger capacity models in January. I was supposed to be getting one for Christmas and now they're unavailable :(

This had better not be EOL... I (along with many other people I suspect) have no interest in buying a Nano. I just want a small inexpensive iPod to take to the gym and don't want to have to worry about it getting scratched etc.

Keynoteuser
Dec 17, 2005, 04:20 PM
I wonder if the sales of all the other brand players will go UP this Christmas as Apple runs out of iPods. It'll be interesting to see the stats. It'll be sad when the other brands ramp up production thinking demand is up and find themselves stuck with thousands of unsold players come next quarter...

dontmatter
Dec 18, 2005, 01:11 AM
whew, it is bad news to be sold out of a product in december. But my oh my, the shuffe? if apple's selling that many of it's weakest ipod....

or, it's been EOL'd, as mentioned previously, which is always nice news. Minus them doing it before they'd made enough to not run out, that is.

devman
Dec 18, 2005, 01:17 AM
sounds like a new shuffle at MWSF.

mad jew
Dec 18, 2005, 01:20 AM
Well, lucky I didn't buy one yesterday... Roll on MacWorld. :)

~Shard~
Dec 18, 2005, 09:51 AM
sounds like a new shuffle at MWSF.

Flash memory is cheap, and getting cheaper every day. From a technical standpoint, Apple could easily bump up the capacities in the shuffles, even just by 512 MB, keeping the price the same. However, from a marketing standpoint, they would have to analyze whether this would encroach on the nano's price point and offering. Perhaps Apple will simply drop the price on the shuffles at MWSF, nothing more - after all, even though they could increase the capacity, doesn't that start defeating the purpose of the shuffle in the first place? Start increasing the capacity and Apple will need to introduce a better system and interface for navigating all that music.

fixyourthinking
Dec 18, 2005, 10:07 AM
There are plenty in the refurb section at Apple and TONS of Radio Shacks still have HP shuffles....

devman
Dec 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
Flash memory is cheap, and getting cheaper every day. From a technical standpoint, Apple could easily bump up the capacities in the shuffles, even just by 512 MB, keeping the price the same. However, from a marketing standpoint, they would have to analyze whether this would encroach on the nano's price point and offering. Perhaps Apple will simply drop the price on the shuffles at MWSF, nothing more - after all, even though they could increase the capacity, doesn't that start defeating the purpose of the shuffle in the first place? Start increasing the capacity and Apple will need to introduce a better system and interface for navigating all that music.

could be. I don't know. I never said they'd increase the capacity. They seem to be running out stock with future availability around MWSF. That seems to suggest something new in shuffe-land. OTOH - it could be a coincidence. All part of the fun of this time of year (pre-MWSF that is) :)