Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Every body awaits the new IntelMacs but i havent heard yet any rumors about Intel chips in the PMac line. The rumors yet, only concern the mac mini, and ibooks not even pbooks. Well i personally dont care about non pro macs, i only care about the PMac line, are there any rumors about those? Seems like the PMac line has maybe more than a year of life until replaced, PPC cpus still seem powerfull enough! Honestly i wish it was not true but i havent heard anything rumors yet regarding PMacs! Then again im only human and if anybody knows better rumors im willing to listen!
Cheers

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
All you need to know is that ALL Macs will get an Intel processor at some point in time. It's looking like it will be about a 6 month transition after the first Mactel comes out. I would look for Intel PowerMacs around summer time if I had to guess.

jon

cgingrich

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Intel chips will be going in all of apple's line, the only thing that's uncertain to this point is when. It's likely the portable line will move first because it will benefit the most from the intel technology. As far as specific rumors, there have been rumors of powerbooks moving in January, however nobody really knows anything to this point. Apple previously stated that machines with Intels would start shipping by June however many people speculate, as I said before, in January. Powermacs will likely be the last to switch over, probably no earlier than 2007. There are many guides on the intel transition in the "Guides" section next to "Forums" at the top of the page. Check out that for more info

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea whilst the top end powermacs are just beasts of machines... I gotta say if Apple are switching to intel for some low-voltage high-speed goodness then you really do wonder about how much strength they really want the Powermacs to have.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
cgingrich said:
Intel chips will be going in all of apple's line, the only thing that's uncertain to this point is when. It's likely the portable line will move first because it will benefit the most from the intel technology. As far as specific rumors, there have been rumors of powerbooks moving in January, however nobody really knows anything to this point. Apple previously stated that machines with Intels would start shipping by June however many people speculate, as I said before, in January. Powermacs will likely be the last to switch over, probably no earlier than 2007. There are many guides on the intel transition in the "Guides" section next to "Forums" at the top of the page. Check out that for more info

the ultra low voltage of some intel processors will help the portables the most, but part of the reason for intel is that they can ship to apple on time which has been a problem of ibm and motorola, who both have more important business interests than making computer processors

and since ibm has sold off their computer division, it seems they are really going to move into the b to b field and high end server computing

motorola is making a ton on their cellphones so apple has never been that important to them

intel focuses mainly on processors for many purposes and machines/devices so they should be able to deliver on time which will help apple's market share and keep us current mac users happy and not pissing and moaning about too little too late for apple inc

i also hope amd can enter the equation, too for macs, and transmeta so apple can enter the ultra portable line of sub-4 lb. machines like the x series or libretto lines of the pc world (we already have the budget laptop and the multimedia desktop replacement and everything in between)

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
zoran said:
Every body awaits the new IntelMacs but i havent heard yet any rumors about Intel chips in the PMac line. The rumors yet, only concern the mac mini, and ibooks not even pbooks. Well i personally dont care about non pro macs, i only care about the PMac line, are there any rumors about those? Seems like the PMac line has maybe more than a year of life until replaced, PPC cpus still seem powerfull enough! Honestly i wish it was not true but i havent heard anything rumors yet regarding PMacs! Then again im only human and if anybody knows better rumors im willing to listen!
Cheers

Err Non Professional = Powermac AND Powerbook, I think you will find we are DESPERATELY IN NEED (as laptop users) for a decent CPU, not a wimsy single core G4 that can't go over 1.67Ghz.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Legacy said:
Err Non Professional = Powermac AND Powerbook, I think you will find we are DESPERATELY IN NEED (as laptop users) for a decent CPU, not a wimsy single core G4 that can't go over 1.67Ghz.

i can see the celeron m for the ibook and the pentium m for the powerbook and there wouldn't really be a great need to go over 2 ghz since the performance on intels "m" processors is very impressive (fast with long battery times)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
jefhatfield said:
i can see the celeron m for the ibook and the pentium m for the powerbook and there wouldn't really be a great need to go over 2 ghz since the performance on intels "m" processors is very impressive (fast with long battery times)

See the recent discussion on MacRumors about Yonah processors and Napa chipset. In about January, single processor Pentium M processors will be seriously outdated.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
macg4 said:
yeah i agree no celerons in mac, there is just something so wrong about that

the transition was set for 2006-2007 so a celeron in an ibook may only be the start graduating to a pentium, maybe by late '06, and a dual core pentium by late '07 or something...just a guess

sure, it would be nice to see pentium in the ibook and dual core in the powerbook, but i doubt that will happen in january...but who knows, maybe intel will make only the dual core pentium m for all laptops and discontinue single core "m" processors next month or sometime next year because intel has been relatively quiet in the last year and a half or so and maybe 2006 could be a quantum leap type of year starting with dual core pentium m chips and something really powerful for desktops for both the pc and the mac

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Apple has its eyes on the Conroe/Woodcrest chipset for the PowerMac which will not be available until late 2006. Therefore, I predict PowerMacs will be the last Mac to transition to Intel, sometime in 2007.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
~Shard~ said:
Apple has its eyes on the Conroe/Woodcrest chipset for the PowerMac which will not be available until late 2006. Therefore, I predict PowerMacs will be the last Mac to transition to Intel, sometime in 2007.

then i would suspect that getting a quad G5 powermac should keep a person very happy for at least three years, unless the intel powermac is way superior to our current powermac...sometimes performance is incremental but sometimes quite profound

when i got my ibook in '99, the powerbook also had the same g3 processor, but with more level 2 cache, but it was minimally better than the ibook on benchmark tests so i was happy with it for a long time...but i bet the people who bought a g3 ibook right before the g4 ibook were pissed so it's a good guess that it's not the best time to get an ibook right now since the portables will convert first

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Yeah, I would think that the top of the line PowerMac would be quite good for some time. However, I think it would be terrible to buy a portable right now, they are going to get some major changes soon, IMHO.:cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
jefhatfield said:
then i would suspect that getting a quad G5 powermac should keep a person very happy for at least three years

Agreed. Look for a refresh to the PM line mid-year, possibly at WWDC, where we'll see some speed bumps, updated video cards, and the like. Maybe throw a price drop in there somewhere too. This should tide everyone over until the Intel PowerMacs hit in 2007.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
ortuno2k said:
I'd hate to see a Celeron on a Mac, even on a budget Mac (iBook).
I think it will all go downhill from there.

Yonah Celeron's will be clocked higher than the current G4 in an iBook (very likely to be 1.6Ghz or more) and have almost quadruple the FSB (142Mhz vs. 533Mhz). What's not to like about that?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
jefhatfield said:
then i would suspect that getting a quad G5 powermac should keep a person very happy for at least three years,

And also require a second mortgage to buy one.

Here to hoping we see some variation of the Yonah chip in a portable sooner than later.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
The Intel switch won't be complete until 2007. G5 still has a little life left in it. It's the G4 that needs the update. And since there aren't any Pro apps available for Intel right now, they will probably have Mac minis and iBooks be the guinea pigs. The PowerBooks are the ones that need it most, so I suspect they'lluse the next gen Pentium-M chips whenever they're available.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
i thank you all for the contribution but guys this is MacRumors not MacPersonalViews. I would prefer the hear rumors things u have heard, of course personal views are welcome but rumors count more in here-i think!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
zoran said:
i thank you all for the contribution but guys this is MacRumors not MacPersonalViews. I would prefer the hear rumors things u have heard, of course personal views are welcome but rumors count more in here-i think!

when i first came here more than five years ago, mostly what i looked at were rumors about macs, but over time my personal views, even on politics, were my focus on macrumors ;) ...part of this was due to some of the really long, dry periods apple had with ibm and motorola not delivering sufficient numbers of faster chips

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
jefhatfield said:
when i first came here more than five years ago, mostly what i looked at were rumors about macs, but over time my personal views, even on politics, were my focus on macrumors ;) ...part of this was due to some of the really long, dry periods apple had with ibm and motorola not delivering sufficient numbers of faster chips

I didnt mean to offend anyone, im only afraid that personal views do not indicate the future more accuratelly than rumors!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
There's still a lot of life left in the G5 line. Although Steve did allude to the fact the Intel transition will be a long one, I'm expecting we won't fully transition over to Intel for at least another 5 years for all the Apple lines.

2006 would be Year 1 and probably finish by 2011. We'll likely see Mac OS XI by then. :p

Here's to the Crazy Ones

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
i think Steve made a mistake not to specify what line of models will come out in June cause a lot of people and im one of them are not buying dual cores right now cause they expect intel PowerMacs. In a way he cetainly sabotaged the ibmG5 line and it might turn out to be a shame cause the Quad seems pretty powerfull!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
zoran said:

We all hear the same stuff — most of it is rubbish. Talking about it and other related and unrelated topics is what this forum is about.

Personally, I would go by some of the educated guesses I hear from regulars rather than some of the wackier stuff that we hear as 'rumours'.

Most of those 'rumours' you seem so desperate to hear about start off as personal views anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.