Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Hey all,

Siri just doesn't get my last name. It gets something kinda sorta recognizable. But it just completely fails on my sister's name. Is there any way to hint this in a non-verbal way? If I do the "learn how to pronounce my sister's name" it just... doesn't get it...

I am guessing the answer is "you can't" but... meh. It's sad that Siri doesn't get me.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Hey all,

Siri just doesn't get my last name. It gets something kinda sorta recognizable. But it just completely fails on my sister's name. Is there any way to hint this in a non-verbal way? If I do the "learn how to pronounce my sister's name" it just... doesn't get it...

I am guessing the answer is "you can't" but... meh. It's sad that Siri doesn't get me.

I had to go to settings to set it up.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
You can say "call my sister" and Siri will ask you who is your sister and you select her contact.
After that you can say "call my sister" and it will know who to call.

njp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Have you tried going to your sister's (or anyone else's) contact and adding a phonetic field?

Thanks. This seems to be the way to go. It never even occurred to me that they had these fields - I was looking all over for something directly Siri related.

Another Hat off to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.