Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatMightySymp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
The one I bought earlier this month still doesn't sit flush with the case on the left side where the hinge is, so any dust/etc. in the air could easily get into the opening on the top and bottom.

Has anyone gotten one that actually sits flush like the Smart Cover does (meaning mine is a defect) or is it a known issue? If it's the latter I'd probably just get a cover + case to slide it into when travelling, but I like the feel of the leather on the Smart Case.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
The one I bought earlier this month still doesn't sit flush with the case on the left side where the hinge is, so any dust/etc. in the air could easily get into the opening on the top and bottom.

Has anyone gotten one that actually sits flush like the Smart Cover does (meaning mine is a defect) or is it a known issue? If it's the latter I'd probably just get a cover + case to slide it into when travelling, but I like the feel of the leather on the Smart Case.

its because most users fold the front screen protector to the back. This "straightens" out the hinge, so when the front part is back over the screen, it doesn't sit flush because the hinge is stiff.

Since this is leather, hopefully it will "wear in" so to speak, and when folded back, it won't be stiff when returning to normal position.

So i expect all cases to be like this out of the box. You just got to give it the ol baseball glove treatment

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
A folded piece of leather for a hinge is just bad design.
As it wears in the problem is only going to get worse, not better.
The more flexible the hinge gets the less likely it will be to align the cover properly.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Nope, which is why I returned mine. Not sure why they didn't make it a hinge like the Smart Cover, would have been a lot better than a leather flap. I returned mine to get the Smart Cover and smart-cover-locking back plate. Love it much better.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Thats what i use smart cover and sleeve when travelling, when you fold it back you are holding the same material on cover or case. Least the magnets work on the cover.
If you are in and out of a vehicle like me the leather would be trashed anyway, still need a sleeve/bag.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Mine didn't sit flat either. One of the reasons I returned it and went Smart Cover with separate back plate instead. I expected a much sturdier, higher quality case from Apple for the $80 price tag.

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
I took mine back for the same reason and replaced it with the kavaj case. much happier!

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Mine (for a miniR not a full size ipad) is perfectly flush. Even when i put the cover around flat on the back and hold the whole thing by the cover with my thumb on the right side of the case, the left side of the case never separates from the ipad mini.

They're leather products, each one is going to be a little different. I think I got pretty lucky with this case though. I'd take some pics if I knew how to upload pictures here.

FWIW i've seen more complaints about the case for the ipad air not fitting properly than for the ipad mini/miniR.

RoqueCub

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
If your talking about a case...

I personally did not care for the way fold, where the cover and case meet, it sticks out. This extra flap did not look appealing when it was closed. I also did not care for the way the case covers over the speaker outputs, it muffles the sound.

I ended up finding another case that does not have the extra tag or covers the speaker. Its $20 on Amazon, INVELLOP Black Leatherette Case. The only downside is that its not real leather, however some people swear that it wears overtime better. I'm incredibly happy with it. Apple missed the boat in the case department.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
If your talking about a case...

I personally did not care for the way fold, where the cover and case meet, it sticks out. This extra flap did not look appealing when it was closed. I also did not care for the way the case covers over the speaker outputs, it muffles the sound.

I ended up finding another case that does not have the extra tag or covers the speaker. Its $20 on Amazon, INVELLOP Black Leatherette Case. The only downside is that its not real leather, however some people swear that it wears overtime better. I'm incredibly happy with it. Apple missed the boat in the case department.

INVELLOP missed the boat in my book. 3 cases, all came unstitched, 2 separated at the edges, after a couple of months of careful light use. Good looking, slim, junky case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.