Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deniz070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Hello, Tomorrow i'm going to buy a Emac, It has a G4 800mhz Processor and
768mb Ram. i don't know more about it now. But now i see leopard needs a 867mhz G4 Processor. is there a possible way to install leopard on it?
I already have a Imac G3 and I really want Leopard so i buying this emac (budget is a reason to) Or do i need to Overclock it?
Already Thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That or Target Disk Mode with another Mac. Unfortunately, your iMac G3 can't be that Mac.

Leopard is capable of running on sub-requirement platforms. I have it running on a G4/450 AGP with 256mb of ram right now and I have run it just fine on a TiBook 400.

Max your ram out if you can.

Last edited:

Deniz070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Thank you, But how do i use it? do i need to install it on the existing mac osx and then use the leopard cd?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Thank you, But how do i use it? do i need to install it on the existing mac osx and then use the leopard cd?

All that's stopping Leopard running on <867Mhz G4's is a simple clock speed check. LeopardAssists gets around this by making your 800MHz eMac show up as a 933MHz eMac in the installer.

You'll need a Leopard disc or (as eyoungren said) another Mac running Leopard & a FW400 cable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had no idea anyone still used it. Wow. ;)
Your program is still regularly mentioned around this particular subforum of Macrumors. It's a big help in keeping our PowerPC Macs relevant.

It's also prominently mentioned in our FAQ sticky at the very top. Post #5.

Deniz070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Hello, My friend let me copy his cd and now i have the DMG file on my dad's pc
The emac Has a DVD Drive but i dont have a dual layer dvd. is it possible to split the dmg ? so i can burn it on 2 dvd's or is there a another way to install?
thank you

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
The emac Has a DVD Drive but i dont have a dual layer dvd. is it possible to split the dmg ? so i can burn it on 2 dvd's or is there a another way to install?
thank you

No, you can't. Just make 8GB partition on eMac's HDD (resize existing and add this 8GB one), restore .dmg to it, boot off of this partition and install on this second one.
After that delete installer partition in DU (or leave it for the future, maybe you'd need it - who knows).

There is a way to do this without LeopardAssist, such as in instances where the computer doesn't already have Mac OS X installed, but you have to be very careful in doing this. I managed to brick a Power Mac G4 Logic Board by entering a single typo in while typing out the commands manually.

How so? It's only nvramrc edit, you can always revert it back to defaults with NVRAM reset.

Deniz070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks but how do i boot from the other hdd partition? Im installing 10.4 because after the update it wouldnt boot passed the white screen but after that my background and nothing else. After that u will make a 8gb partition and with put the dmg on a usb stick and then on the second partition.

Deniz070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Hello, so, I bought Dual Layer dvd disks but my emac do not read them...
i put the dmg file on my second partition but i cant boot from it...
what can i do?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Does it read regular DVD's? Any DVD drive should be able to read a dual layer disc (the original DVD-ROM in my B&W G3 can) so either the drive does have a defect, or the disc wasn't burned properly. Can the disc be read in another Mac?

Deniz070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Yes it read Regular dvd´s and CD´s
it does not read any dual layer dvd´s not burned ones and not empty ones.
and the cd works on a windows computer.
but why can i boot from my second partition that´s named data?
on that is a dmg file to..

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
This is something I was never able to understand back then either. LeopardAssist 1.x used a somewhat different method of loading the script into the nvram. It would generate the script, then instead of writing it directly to the nvram, it would write it to a plain text file in the root directory of the boot drive, and write a flag to the nvram to load "/boot.txt".

Understandable, but should be reversible. Take a look at Pareis blog, there's a similar method: http://4thcode.blogspot.com/

Edz2

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Can't boot Leopard off external HD on eMAc

Hi Macers,
I'm trying to run Leopard off my external HD for my eMAc. My eMac specs agree with Leopard (so I don't think I need Leopard Assist). I installed Leopard on my 500GB hard drive: Nextar 3 enclosure with a Samsung hard drive inside. I formated it accordingly, put the cd onto the external HD as instructed, and am using Firewire 400 (on eMac and external HD).

All the research says all I have to do is select it on Startup Disk (under System Preferences) and click restart, or hold the Alt key (Option key in Mac world) and select my external HD when prompted, but it never appears in ether case. However it does appear on my desktop and whenever I'm saving files. I can read/write to it no problem. I checked it using Disk Utilities and nothing seems to be wrong.

Suggestions from other blogs were that eMacs can't read DVD's but I use to watch them all the time on my eMac. Another said I need to install MPlayerX, but it's unsupportable on Tiger so I can't install it. Installed the latest version of MPlayer for Tiger and even MPlayer osx Extended. Still bubkiss. Please help.

eMac:
Machine Model: PowerMac6,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

External HD :
Interface: Serial ATA-300
Buffer Size: 16MB
Drive Transfer Rate: 300 MBps
Internal Data Rate: 135 MBps
Seek Time: 8.9 ms (average) / 18 ms (max)
Track-to-Track Seek Time: 0.8 ms
Average Latency: 4.17 ms
Spindle Speed: 7200 rpm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.