Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameis321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Right so I've had my 13" Air for around 3 weeks, so far I've not taken it out and about or even bought any sort of protection for it. I think it's about time I do.

I would buy a shell case, however I'm worried that it would make my lid heavier hence making the lid very very lose.

So I'm opting for a sleeve. A sleeve that isn't too tight so that when closed the screen is tight against the keyboard, scratching and leaving marks on the screen (as I've read on these forums happen) nor something so loose that the laptop rattles around. Something that will protect the delicate device from any bumps, dents, dings or scratches. Will probably put the laptop in my Uni side bag.

Being in the UK there aren't many stores that have MBA accessories in store to play around with other than the official Apple ones at the Apple store.

Oh nothing too expensive btw, budget of around £25 max, doesn't have too be too stylish as Function > Form for me

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Last edited:

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Right so I've had my 13" Air for around 3 weeks, so far I've not taken it out and about or even bought any sort of protection for it. I think it's about time I do.

I would buy a shell case, however I'm worried that it would make my lid heavier hence making the lid very very lose.

So I'm opting for a sleeve. A sleeve that isn't too tight so that when closed the screen is tight against the keyboard, scratching and leaving marks on the screen (as I've read on these forums happen) nor something so loose that the laptop rattles around. Something that will protect the delicate device from any bumps, dents, dings or scratches. Will probably put the laptop in my Uni side bag.

Being in the UK there aren't many stores that have MBA accessories in store to play around with other than the official Apple ones at the Apple store.

Oh nothing too expensive btw, budget of around £25 max, doesn't have too be too stylish as Function > Form for me

i purchased the Thule envelope for the 13" macbook air, it's 50$ and the quality is well made.

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
I purchased a Bau Bau neoprene sleeve from eBay for the whopping price of about $9 and it is great. It has a texture to it that's like a tempurpedic foam.

The best case/sleeve is the one you'll use religiously to protect your MBA. I never take mine anywhere unless it's in it's protective sleeve first.

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013

This right here is by far the best case that I have for my MBA. I had a hardcover shell for it and HATED it, I then just had it in a normal sleeve and I felt like it wasn't protected well. So after a ton of searching I found this gem. This is a great case that has great protection (padded), none of the corners are exposed, and it is slim and looks great on the computer. They come in blue, black, peach, and pink. They're only $20, which is a lot cheaper than a lot of similar cases I've seen. When I took my computer to apple they actually complimented me on the case:):):apple:

Hoyasaxa

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Living Social had a deal for half off anything from InCase, I think it's still available.

I've used their basic neoprene sleeve for 4 years with my 13 inch MBP and it fits perfectly my new 13 inch MBA. For 20 bucks, it's as quality as you can get IMO. Does exactly what it's supposed to do and doesn't add that much bulk so that it doesn't still fit in my undersized briefcase.

Update: apparently the deal expired but the coupon code is good through 12/25. I never used mine so give it a try if it's not account linked. LS501OKFY4TT3M58

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-neoprene-pro-sleeve-for-macbook-air-13

Last edited:

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I spent $15 and am happy with my Targus sleeve..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T5CUFM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits great, surprisingly little wiggle room for how thin the Air is. Has protection from the zipper so no scratches from it. I use it with an iCarbons skin (bottom and keyboard, no lid) and have no scratches or marks anywhere yet..

I usually take it with me to class (in my backpack) with the zipper unzipped so I can just reach in and grab it out. So easy and accessible..no fumbling with a tight form fitting leather sleeve that I need two hands to yank the Air out of. It just slides right out of the Targus sleeve..

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
This right here is by far the best case that I have for my MBA. I had a hardcover shell for it and HATED it, I then just had it in a normal sleeve and I felt like it wasn't protected well. So after a ton of searching I found this gem. This is a great case that has great protection (padded), none of the corners are exposed, and it is slim and looks great on the computer. They come in blue, black, peach, and pink. They're only $20, which is a lot cheaper than a lot of similar cases I've seen. When I took my computer to apple they actually complimented me on the case:):):apple:

Bought three after following your link.:D

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Bought three after following your link.:D

I know you don't have it yet, but in general, is there any inherent risk to using something like that case that adds bulk between the lid and bottom of the laptop?

Does it mess with the hinge at all? Does it fully shut and put the computer to sleep?

mynameis321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I'm a big fan of the ACME Made Skinny sleeve that I used on my old 11" MBA. Very minimalistic and great protection.
http://www.acmemade.com/laptop-cases/the-skinny-sleeve-macbook

However for my recent MBP, I bought this wool case on etsy. The case looks pretty stylish and well made.

The macbook air version looks a bit different:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/108774842/wool-felt-macbook-air-13-newold-macbook?ref=shop_home_active

Is the wool case very protective though? I mean… It's wool.

i purchased the Thule envelope for the 13" macbook air, it's 50$ and the quality is well made.

Which one? I've googled it and there seems to be 2 different models

I purchased a Bau Bau neoprene sleeve from eBay for the whopping price of about $9 and it is great. It has a texture to it that's like a tempurpedic foam.

Is it a hard case? Protective enough that when dropped it will offer some protection for the laptop?

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Is the wool case very protective though? I mean… It's wool.

Yes, it's pretty thick and it's dense.

If you're looking for something to protect from a drop, I don't think there are many that will do that. Most of these are just meant so you can throw it in a back back or car trunk and not worry about it.

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013
I know you don't have it yet, but in general, is there any inherent risk to using something like that case that adds bulk between the lid and bottom of the laptop?

Does it mess with the hinge at all? Does it fully shut and put the computer to sleep?

Ive been using this case for over a month now and I have had no problems with it at all. It does fully shut and and put the computer to sleep, and it does not mess with the hinges at all.:):)

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010

Received them all the other day. I'm using mine and it works great. Obviously it adds a lot of bulk and a tad of weight. It's very easy to remove and install as well. Which is perfect for me because I prefer and have used my MBAs naked for years with really no issue. But there are times I'd like some added protection. Especially when I'm carrying it around w/o a backpack. For $20 it was worth trying and I'm happy.

BTW, I ordered a black and both pinks. They ALL look better in person than on the site. My wife initially didn't like the 'pink hearts' when viewing online and picked the 'pink' for it's texture. After viewing them in person she likes both extremely well. One is for my daughter for Christmas and she complimented me on mine earlier today. I think she'll like it.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I bought this now out-of-stock sleeve from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085R315G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The description is correct, it is genuine leather. I realize that this style is not for everyone. It works for me, I am happy to use this on my MacBook Air.

There are probably similar sleeves elsewhere on the Internet.

I am currently seeking one for my Retina iPad mini. I don't need an exact matching pair though. If the two devices look like they belong in the same room, that's good enough.

gooostovo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Dallas, TX
I really like my Thule 13" Gauntlet Sleeve that I picked up at the Apple Store. I did some review searching and my velcro hasn't come off. I've used it only about a week though, so I won't count that out yet. Even so, that's what the warranty is for. My MBA slides in and out perfectly without roughing it up.

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I'm a big fan of the ACME Made Skinny sleeve that I used on my old 11" MBA. Very minimalistic and great protection.
http://www.acmemade.com/laptop-cases/the-skinny-sleeve-macbook

However for my recent MBP, I bought this wool case on etsy. The case looks pretty stylish and well made.

The macbook air version looks a bit different:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/108774842/wool-felt-macbook-air-13-newold-macbook?ref=shop_home_active

I bought the Acme sleeve from the Apple Store for my 11" Air. So far I'm quite happy with it - it feels really sturdy, and has kept my Air safe whenever I've travelled with it (which admittedly isn't that often) - do find it's extremely snug though making it a bit of an effort to insert and remove the Air from the sleeve!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.