Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I can't seem to figure out how to copy TO another Mac (my laptop) over the LAN. I can access and copy FROM the laptop with no problem.

I suspect it's a user name issue; both have the same short name, although the UID and long name are different. In the past I've been able to do it with the UID and short name being the same, but I don't wanna even think about changing the UID just to be able to use a drop box type function.

I even set up the ~/Public/Drop Box on the laptop so that everyone had permission to read and write, but still got errors (which are like "file already exists" and it leaves a 0 byte file there...or even writes thousands of them).

I can understand why if I had the same UID, folder names, etc and pushed a file to the laptop it would think it was the correct user and allow it. And why it might prevent that if it saw a different UID no matter what the name was. But surely there's some combo of permissions and settings that would allow me to copy TO another Mac with the same user short name??

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.