Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer787

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Ok, I have a 120GB Air, and it is beginning to get full. So I cleared out pretty much everything in my Finder. (Literally, just about 2GB of music and my Apps are the only thing left) No movies, nothing. But I still only have 10GB free.

How can I clear up some more room? I don't know what else to delete and it's very frustrating.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
Ok, I have a 120GB Air, and it is beginning to get full. So I cleared out pretty much everything in my Finder. (Literally, just about 2GB of music and my Apps are the only thing left) No movies, nothing. But I still only have 10GB free.

How can I clear up some more room? I don't know what else to delete and it's very frustrating.

If Time Machine is ON but no external drive is available it stores backups on your local hard drive. Check that first. If you have an external drive, connect it and do a backup. Use Omnidisksweeper to find other big stores of files.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
If Time Machine is ON but no external drive is available it stores backups on your local hard drive. Check that first. If you have an external drive, connect it and do a backup. Use Omnidisksweeper to find other big stores of files.

Wait, what good is a time machine being on your startup disk? If that fails, then you loose your recovery too.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
While it's not useful for a complete drive failure, a local Time Machine backup is convenient if you want to revert to an older version of a particular file.

For some people, having an hourly local backup is useful, a poor/sloppy man's undelete so to speak.

It does not replace a backup to an external drive. The oft-repeated conventional wisdom from old-school system administrators is that if it's worth backing up, it's worth backing up at least twice. Ideally, at least one backup would be to an offsite location (cloud, physical disc, tape backup once upon a time).

Since notebook computers often aren't connected to external peripheral drives -- including ones explicitly designated for backup purposes, having a local backup is better than nothing.

Last edited:

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
The time machine backups to local disk is used when the system isn't able to locate the drive normally used by time machine, such as when traveling / disconnected from your home network.

halledise

macrumors 68000
for starters, TM backups should always be to an external drive, as someone has already mentioned.

it's possible that your sleep image is huge, so you can always try this:

open Terminal (in ‘other’ or Utilities)
copy and paste each ‘sudo’ command one at a time and hit ‘Enter’
it’ll ask you for your password the first time.
if one of the last 2 commands doesn’t work it’s no biggie.
restart and you should be fine :)

Set sleep mode in shell:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Remove the image:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Create a blanked file:

sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Make file immutable:

sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
An alternative to Disk Inventory X is Omnidisksweeper, my preference as I like numbers instead of colors. :)

As an aside, have you emptied Trash?

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
for starters, TM backups should always be to an external drive, as someone has already mentioned.

it's possible that your sleep image is huge, so you can always try this:

open Terminal (in ‘other’ or Utilities)
copy and paste each ‘sudo’ command one at a time and hit ‘Enter’
it’ll ask you for your password the first time.
if one of the last 2 commands doesn’t work it’s no biggie.
restart and you should be fine :)

Set sleep mode in shell:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Remove the image:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Create a blanked file:

sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Make file immutable:

sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

That's what I thought. I just don't see the benefit to using disk space (which on an Air is valuable. It should be TM'd on an external drive and accessible remotely if needed.

My only question to you is, must you type the sudo command by itself or can you jump straight to checking the size of the sleep image?

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
You don't need sudo privileges to do an 'ls' on /var/vm.

The sleep image is the size of your computer's RAM. An 8GB MacBook Air will have an 8GB sleep image.

Based on your comment, it doesn't appear that you know what a sleep image is: it's a quick, easily-accessinble disk-based snapshot of what was in main memory at the time of sleep. It's used by the computer for a quick restoration of the computer's status: programs, processes, documents.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Just checking, but you did remember to actually empty the Trash bin, right?

Gamer787

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Yes, trash is emptied. (Duh)

Storage Breakdown: (According to 'About this Mac' tab)

Audio: 2.1GB
Movies: 0GB
Photos: 266MB
Apps: 5.6GB
Backups: 0GB
Other: 106GB

I don't understand. Like my files are near empty I dumped everything pretty much.

----------

Check that, ran DIX and found out it was 70...that's right, 7-0 GB of swapfiles that had piled up. Odd thing is I just rebooted not too long ago. Oh well, problem solved.

Alex8

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Are you syncing your Iphone to Itunes on this machine?

If you are you should check whether your Iphone backups are taking the space.

I found this problem on another 128GB Mac Air before.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I'm more of a command-line guy. Open a terminal and type:

Code:
$ cd /
$ du -sg *

This will show the size in GB of all folders on your startup disk. Mine shows something like this:

Code:
22	Applications
6	Library
0	Network
4	System
1	User Information
41	Users
15	Volumes
1	bin
0	cores
1	dev
1	etc
1	home
1	mach_kernel
1	net
1	opt
5	private
1	sbin
1	tmp
1	usr
1	var

Obviously the biggest hog is the users folder. You can cd into that, then repeat the command:

Code:
$ cd Users
$ du -sg *

Keep repeating until you found the biggest hog.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Command line stuff is great - my usage of du is "du -sk * |sort -rn" which provides a sorted list of top disk hogs in the current directory.

One more plug for omni disk sweeper - I just ran this on one of my boxes and very much like the output. Show me the numbers. ;) You can keep drilling into directories until you find what you're looking for.

Attachments

• omnidisksweeper.jpg
    omnidisksweeper.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 174

geertvn

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
Possibly a hidden library filling up the drive

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. The culprit was AdobeRevel, which made backups in a hidden library of all the files I uploaded to the AdobeRevel-cloud. It was really confusing, since the program made a non-hidden library in the images-folder of the user account, and created a hidden library as well. In the program you could deactivate the option to make local copies of all files uploaded. But this option only had effect on the 'visible' library, the files were still backed up in the hidden library - it became really a problem after uploading 50-60GB of pictures to the cloud. (The hidden folder with the backups had to be deleted to free space up again.)

Took a while to figure this out.

I think you can make the hidden libraries visible by holding down the option key while browsing the user account folder in finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.