Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tribbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I have on order a new MacBook Pro - waiting for my first :apple: "Mac".

My question pertains to the proper sequence to install Win 8.1 and Parallels 9.

Do I install Win 8.1 using BootCamp and then install Parallels?
Or do I install Win 8.1 from within Parallels without using BootCamp?

Relatedly, is the 64-bit version of Windows (7 & 8/8.1) the only compatible version within OS X using Parallels 9?

Also, what is the ideal partition size to reserve for Windows? (1TB SSD)

Tribbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I was at a B&N bookstore and found a OS X Mavericks Portable Genius book (pg. 376) by Dwight Spivey that explained this.

Also > http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729

BootCamp creates a partition and the Mac boots up in either OS X or Windows.
While Parallels does not require a partition, if I read it correctly, but instead runs Windows in a "virtual machine" in memory concurrently with OS X - D'oh! :eek:

My other questions still stand. Additionally, I wonder if Parallels can run both 32 or 64 bit Windows.

Last edited:

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
The way you install it depends how your going to use it really...

If you just want to run the occasional software within windows then install windows from within parallels from within OSX.

If your going to be using it for any memory intensive software or games, then install it using Bootcamp.

I have Windows7 professional installed within parallels and it does what I need it to do without any issues on my mid 2011 iMac.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
You can do it both ways, too. Install Windows via Boot Camp, then set up Parallels to run the same installation in a virtual environment. The only hitch is that you'll have to re-activate Windows, but at worst it would require a phone call to the automated system.

woxof

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
Late 2013 15 inch, Parallels, Win8.1 Pro, and ArcGIS 10.2

This may be a bit long but hopefully it will give you some things to think about and prove helpful.
I just did this with my new Macbook Pro and have also done it with my 27" iMac that has a 1TB drive.
On the iMac I gave windows 100GB for bootcamp (Mountain Lion). I also loaded ArcGIS 10.1 for a pair of classes. After one semester I'm sitting with 19GB left. No MS office, no games, just WIN 8.0 (then 8.1), ArcGIS and a lot of data.

For the Macbook Pro...I decided against bootcamp. I was getting anoyed having to reboot to work with ArcGIS (my workflow choices). Using parallels AND Bootcamp caused ArcGIS licensing issues that I couldn't get around. On the iMac, ArcGIS ran much faster in native windows. So I chose to boot into Windows vice parallels at all times on the iMac.
For the Laptop...
Bought Parallels 9.0 and WIN8.1 Pro (cheaper w/student discount).
Downloaded both to my iMac. Downloaded win8.1 as an iso as recommended and then used the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter to transfer the files to my Macbook Pro. Can even get at my iMac's cd/dvd drive that way. No need for Superdrive at all.
Anyway, installed parallels 9.0. followed the parallels "how to" and installed win8.1. did the updates. After a few days I tackled installing ArcGIS and my data files. Tested and works just fine with the biggest stuff i could throw at it.
Don't have time for games, so not an issue for me. The machine is quick. Even using Parallels, it smokes my iMac. Granted having no moving hard drive helps :).
Lovin the Macbook Pro and have not had any issues with it or Mavericks so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.