PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft drops IE support.

MacBytes
Dec 19, 2005, 08:05 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft drops IE support. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051219090511)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mitthrawnuruodo
Dec 19, 2005, 08:09 AM
Well, it's about time that piece of pooh is put to the rest...

And imagine that at one point in time, pre-Safari and pre-Firefox, for a very short time, that was actually the best browser... :rolleyes:

xtbfx
Dec 19, 2005, 08:15 AM
Woop-te-freakin'-do

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 08:18 AM
YAY! <pops some champagne>

ReanimationLP
Dec 19, 2005, 08:18 AM
LMFAO.

They're recommending that people move to Apple's Safari. :p

Dane D.
Dec 19, 2005, 08:19 AM
Another MS piece of crap gone by the way side. Why that app ever became popular is beyond me. I know PC people blindly use it. :)

gangst
Dec 19, 2005, 08:20 AM
I wonder if anyone is still using that crap?!

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2005, 08:20 AM
Considering I was forced to use IE for my medical school applications (AMCAS), I find this slightly disturbing. AMCAS does not support Safari or Firefox, and will LOCK you out of the application unless you have and run IE.

Not too worried at the moment, but if I lose IE from my computer, I won't be able to download a copy from Microsoft? Heh, should prove interesting for next year.

(I used Safari when filling out my AMCAS using the Debug menu to show that I was using IE ... bad idea. My application ended up slightly mangled, and I can't change it =/)

IE is still used unfortunately, this is a little surprising.

greatdevourer
Dec 19, 2005, 08:25 AM
Wasn't this on MB about a month ago? Why the repost?

Stella
Dec 19, 2005, 08:30 AM
Ironically, the Mac version was superior to the windows version.

However, these days, thats not saying much when comparing against standards compliance browsers such as Gecko based browsers, Opera and of course, Safari and other webkit based browsers.

danny_w
Dec 19, 2005, 08:43 AM
There is no question that Safari and FF (and meny more) are better browsers than IE on a Mac, but as Over Achiever said, there are still those rare times when it is absolutely necessary. Are we to be forever left out in the cold just because we happen to run a Mac? I'm glad all of my Macs already have IE installed.

Photorun
Dec 19, 2005, 08:48 AM
Now if Microshaft REALLY had mercy on the masses they'd stop making and end all IE support on Windoze!

Deepdale
Dec 19, 2005, 08:52 AM
Now if Microshaft REALLY had mercy on the masses they'd stop making and end all IE support on Windoze!

I was just about to post a message asking the Gods for similar relief. Thank you for concisely expressing the same sentiment.

greatdevourer
Dec 19, 2005, 08:56 AM
Ironically, the Mac version was superior to the windows version. It's still the same with the different versions of Office - the Mac version is faster, looks nicer and has more features :confused:

prostuff1
Dec 19, 2005, 09:19 AM

Unfortunantly people still do. Some people on my college campus are so igrorant and dont know what safari is. Me being a mac person and having taken my iBook to class the first day i nwas always asked "how do i get on the internet?" then, "were is Internet Explorer." I kept showing them safari but i would always get the "were is IE" question again.

I think because the name of the application has "Internet" in it they know what it is supposed to be used for. Not to mention they expect IE to be on the computer.

There are the rare instances that IE needs to be used but it should not be that way.

danny_w
Dec 19, 2005, 09:23 AM
There are the rare instances that IE needs to be used but it should not be that way.
I agree completely that IE should not be necessary, but unfortunately it still is in some instances. :( That is why I am glad that IE is already installed on all of my Macs.

Yvan256
Dec 19, 2005, 09:33 AM
Another MS piece of crap gone by the way side. Why that app ever became popular is beyond me. I know PC people blindly use it. :)

Just like a lot of Mac users blindly use Safari. Not that I'm comparing the two, just that they're both pre-installed and the default browser on their own platform.

Yvan256
Dec 19, 2005, 09:34 AM

Don't you mean "they'd stop making Windoze"? ;)

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2005, 09:43 AM
Unfortunantly people still do. Some people on my college campus are so igrorant and dont know what safari is. Me being a mac person and having taken my iBook to class the first day i nwas always asked "how do i get on the internet?" then, "were is Internet Explorer." I kept showing them safari but i would always get the "were is IE" question again.At my school computer lab, the dock is filled with many many applications ... not one of them is Safari. I have to manually open the applications folder and run Safari from there.

People when they use my laptop look for the IE icon to connect to the internet ... they have no idea that Safari is an internet browser. Many have been confused trying to check their e-mail on my laptop.

*shrug* IE is still used today.

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 09:45 AM
I think part of the reason IE still exists in numbers on Mac OS X boxes is from switchers. Remember a lot of computer users out there don't do much on them. Email, surfin', IMing, personal finances, etc. If you were a WindowsLifer and only knew IE and switched to a Mac, that'd be the first thing you looked for "to get on the internet".

Of course, the whole shift to FireFox has helped teach people that there ARE alternatives to IE for web browsers out there, but most folks that switched to FF don't really know why they did, just that someone suggested it to them and gave them some vague reasons why..

This is also the reason Symantec is still in business, IMO, but that's another story.

I HATE sites that "require" IE or another particular browser. That's just LAZINESS on the part of the webdev. Sheer laziness.

greatdevourer
Dec 19, 2005, 09:46 AM
At my school computer lab, the dock is filled with many many applications ... not one of them is Safari. I have to manually open the applications folder and run Safari from there.

People when they use my laptop look for the IE icon to connect to the internet ... they have no idea that Safari is an internet browser. Many have been confused trying to check their e-mail on my laptop.

*shrug* IE is still used today. Why not add it to the dock?

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 09:47 AM
Since it's a lab box, they're probably reset ever night to defaults. So adding it during the day only to have to do it again tomorrow gets pointless.

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2005, 09:48 AM
I can't even remember the last time I used IE on my Mac. Good riddance, by now everyone is using Safari and Firefox anyway.

So, how long until MS drops IE support for Windows due to lack of popularity? :eek: ;) :cool:

Warbrain
Dec 19, 2005, 09:52 AM
I remember when I hated IE enough in OS 9 that I used iCab, Netscape, and Mozilla. Those were the good ol' days...

Good riddance, IE.

OCOTILLO
Dec 19, 2005, 09:53 AM
LMFAO.

They're recommending that people move to Apple's Safari. :p This is easy for MS to say. There are several of us who use on-line bill pay for certain payments. Some of these payments require the use of IE. I have emailed the vendors requiring IE that they start to support Safari. How much good this will do, I don't know.
I suggest that any other members that have this problem do the same, it may help.

thequicksilver
Dec 19, 2005, 09:55 AM
Just like a lot of Mac users blindly use Safari. Not that I'm comparing the two, just that they're both pre-installed and the default browser on their own platform.

Bang. Nail, head, hit.

The number of OS X users who refuse to use anything other than Safari is also very high, despite the fact that many of these users that I know complain about it all the time. It's not a question of preferring Safari, it's just a case of not being technically minded enough to search for a solution.

Same applies to IE on Windows, IMHO - not a question of preference, but one of ignorance.

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 09:55 AM
I can't even remember the last time I used IE on my Mac.

Me neither. I've gone so far as to start 'archiving' it on all my user's Macs. Still there for desperation's sake and legacy stuff, but they won't be tempted to use it.

danny_w
Dec 19, 2005, 09:56 AM
I can't even remember the last time I used IE on my Mac. Good riddance, by now everyone is using Safari and Firefox anyway.

So, how long until MS drops IE support for Windows due to lack of popularity? :eek: ;) :cool:
Unfortunately NEVER. There are way too many corporate sites that require IE and are locked into using it. It would be very difficult for these corporations to change to anything else because MS has them where they want them. I could not do my job if it were not for IE, and that is true for many, many others as well. IE may go away for consumers, but not for business use (at least not anytime in the forseeable future).

tsaxer
Dec 19, 2005, 10:03 AM
Don't you mean "they'd stop making Windoze"? ;)

Nah, They provide a valuable service in being a target for virus/spyware/hacker folk. :D

iMeowbot
Dec 19, 2005, 10:11 AM
That's too bad. Mac IE really wasn't a bad little program, related in little more than name to its Windows counterpart. The only thing really wrong with it is that it stopped being updated. If there was any other logo on it, I'll bet that the reactions to its demise would be entirely different.

SiliconAddict
Dec 19, 2005, 10:12 AM

YES! There will now be a certain handful of websites and corp intranet sites that will no longer be accessable from a Mac. Some of you guys just don't get it. This is a BAD thing. Download the installer for IE now folks and P2P it because this is going to be a required install for some users for a long time to come. Hopefully at some point on a dual boot machine OS X \ XP\VISTA machine there will be an app that can run programs from the XP side of things and allow a newer version of IE to run inside OS X.

Note that I don't use IE. But I do need it from time to time. Firefox is a fantastic browser but its not 100% perfect with all sites.

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2005, 10:24 AM
Why not add it to the dock?
Security on the lab computer mean I cannot adjust the dock. Also there are 50 2.7 GHz Dual G5 PMs ... I'm not adding safari too all of them =P

jackc
Dec 19, 2005, 10:47 AM
Considering I was forced to use IE for my medical school applications (AMCAS), I find this slightly disturbing.

Filling out applications for grad school about 2 years ago was the last time I remember having to use IE (even IE on Mac wouldn't work, I had to go use a PC). Luckily, it has become increasingly rare, especially now that Firefox is more popular. I haven't had a problem since.

florencevassy
Dec 19, 2005, 10:48 AM
I say good riddance :)
I have it but have only used it once. I use Firefox, Camino and Safari

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2005, 10:49 AM
YES! There will now be a certain handful of websites and corp intranet sites that will no longer be accessable from a Mac. Some of you guys just don't get it. This is a BAD thing. Download the installer for IE now folks and P2P it because this is going to be a required install for some users for a long time to come.

Good point, I think I'll grab the latest version and just tuck it away on my HD for safe-keeping. I have never come across any sites I have needed IE for on my Mac, but I guess you can never be too careful. ;)

danny_w
Dec 19, 2005, 11:16 AM
It seems to me like the last time I used it at home was for the FAFSA website. Neither FF nor Safari would do the trick.

EDIT: BTW, this is a biggie if it is still this way.

looklost
Dec 19, 2005, 11:30 AM
To this day the only browser that I can order my RXs with is IE. Some companies just don't care about mac user not being able to access their sites. I have brought up this concern with my RX supplier in the past and was told I should order online at work, "using a computer that is compatible with the internet". Their words not mine. Even sites that have government regulations for accessibility's don't conform with there own rules. I think it's going to get even worse for mac users before it gets better. My online bank just updated their website and now the billpay feature does not work. They told me they are aware for the problem and working on it, that was 2 months ago. You don't think for a minute that they would lock out windows users from billpay do you. Are we mac users second class citizens that are suppose to deal with internet incompatiblity just because we don't use what the other 95 percent if internet users use?

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2005, 11:42 AM
Are we mac users second class citizens that are suppose to deal with internet incompatiblity just because we don't use what the other 95 percent if internet users use?
It happens to all minorities =/

redAPPLE
Dec 19, 2005, 11:49 AM
Good point, I think I'll grab the latest version and just tuck it away on my HD for safe-keeping. I have never come across any sites I have needed IE for on my Mac, but I guess you can never be too careful. ;)

in my part, i don't plan to download IE for mac (plan to use it? nah.). should i need it, i'd get it from you guys :D

iMeowbot
Dec 19, 2005, 12:04 PM
in my part, i don't plan to download IE for mac (plan to use it? nah.). should i need it, i'd get it from you guys :D
You'd better download it then. All you will get from here is a bunch of people telling you that you don't need it or that you should send a telegram instead.

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2005, 12:32 PM
You'd better download it then. All you will get from here is a bunch of people telling you that you don't need it or that you should send a telegram instead.

Along with a small processing fee... :p :cool:

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 12:48 PM
Along with a small processing fee... :p :cool:

"Shipping and Handling"? :)

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2005, 01:10 PM

Sure, call it what you like... ;)

yellow
Dec 19, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hehe, then I vote for "Nickeling and Diming".

Seasought
Dec 19, 2005, 01:20 PM
R.I.P. (Rest in Pieces)

TwitchOSX
Dec 19, 2005, 01:37 PM
When using the order interface that our printer gives us through a browser, sometimes I have problems with Safari. I call them up (even if I can obviously tell its some sort of scripting error) and tell them whats up. They ask what browser I am using and I tell them "Safari". They say.. "do you have internet explorer?" and I tell them that I do but I hate to use it. They then suggest using internet explorer because Safari doesnt always work right with their website. The main problem is that people are still designing stuff that is using propriatary MS IE code crap that IE can take advantage of and no other browser can.. or works poorly on other browsers. Either way, I have IE and I am sure we can all get it in the future if needed from other sources other than MS's website.

TwitchOSX
Dec 19, 2005, 01:38 PM
RIP - Raster Image Processor.

danny_w
Dec 19, 2005, 02:08 PM
Also, many corporate websites and intranets still use Frontpage to generate the websites. Is Frontpage still as IE slanted as it used to be?

steve_hill4
Dec 19, 2005, 02:23 PM
It will be available for download until 31st January 2006. So I would recommend all to downalod it, just in case, no matter how much you hate it. Any returning here after that date saying they can't access a website that requires IE and they didn't download while they had the chance could be met with a mixture of laughter and annoyance.

Better to be safe than sorry, never I thought I'd be saying that of any Microsoft application.

Nermal
Dec 19, 2005, 02:36 PM
As some of you have mentioned, some sites require IE. MS discontinuing it may force developers to support other browsers, as they won't be able to play the "use IE" card anymore :)

danny_w
Dec 19, 2005, 02:42 PM
As some of you have mentioned, some sites require IE. MS discontinuing it may force developers to support other browsers, as they won't be able to play the "use IE" card anymore :)
I doubt it. Most developers that require IE assume that the user will have MS Windows, and probably don't even think about Apple Mac users. Non-support for the Mac version will have little if any effect on these people. They are already ignoring anybody that is using Unix or Linux.

steve_hill4
Dec 19, 2005, 03:37 PM
Just reading the article on BBC's tech news and they stated that a recent test of 100 UK websites showed one in ten did not work under Firefox, (and required IE to run properly, I'm assuming). That's pretty high and worrying.

It does appear that Mac users are being left high and dry as far as this is concerned, but you never know, a 3rd party company may come up with a browser that will allow OSX users to view sites that would ordinarily only work with IE. It's not the same as Safari or Firefox being compatible, but without web designers developing their sites for Firefox et al, it could be a good short term solution.

superleccy
Dec 19, 2005, 03:47 PM
Just reading the article on BBC's tech news and they stated that a recent test of 100 UK websites showed one in ten did not work under Firefox, (and required IE to run properly, I'm assuming). That's pretty high and worrying.

Hmmm. I use Safari 2.0.2 as my main browser, and Firefox 1.5 as a backup for the few sites that Safari doesn't like. I can't remember the last time I found a site that wouldn't work with one or t'other.

All my banking / credit card / utility bill websites work fine with Safari AND Firefox. I should think that such companies that handle online transactions are waking up to the fact that users who care about online security do not use Internet Explorer. :cool:

Good riddance.

Regards
Superleccy

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2005, 03:56 PM

Indeed - let's hope this is a good thing. I know my banking site has been very good about supporting Safari, so hopefully other institutions which have been lax in this area so far will follow suit as well.

steve_hill4
Dec 19, 2005, 04:24 PM
Hmmm. I use Safari 2.0.2 as my main browser, and Firefox 1.5 as a backup for the few sites that Safari doesn't like. I can't remember the last time I found a site that wouldn't work with one or t'other.

All my banking / credit card / utility bill websites work fine with Safari AND Firefox. I should think that such companies that handle online transactions are waking up to the fact that users who care about online security do not use Internet Explorer. :cool:

Good riddance.

Regards
Superleccy
I agree, but I can only assume that they tested the top 100 websites in the UK, or they chose websites that they considered to be important for access. Either way, there are still sites out there, but I don't think that there is that much of a cause for concern.

Loge
Dec 19, 2005, 05:09 PM

I don't know how they chose the 100, but I find that much fewer than one in 10 UK sites of the ones I visit fail to work under Safari. Even odeon.co.uk works now, even if though it's only the text based version. :(

Superdrive
Dec 19, 2005, 05:44 PM
Nobody has heard of the Safari debug feature? I'd be willing to bet that Safari can do the trick on these sites that lock you out. Fool them into thinking you are using IE one Windows and they'll let you right in. Works with my old College of Business website, and a number of "Only Works With Windows IE" websites that are too lazy to verify compliance. It's on Mac OS hints.

superleccy
Dec 19, 2005, 05:50 PM
Well that's that sorted then.

All we need now is for Apple to turn iWork into an MS Office killer, and then everyone's a winner if your name isn't Bill Gates.

Superleccy

macsoapbox
Dec 19, 2005, 06:23 PM
I've been using Camino (made by the Mozilla folks too) for a while now, and find it more accepted than Safari with a lot of websites including some online bill pay sites. It's also smaller than Firefox. It's only made for mac but seems very compatible. http://www.caminobrowser.org/

zap2
Dec 19, 2005, 06:50 PM
i read i and i thought "no more IE for Windows" and i was like YESSS bu alas no, did anyone use IE on mac anymore(other then developers)?

p0intblank
Dec 19, 2005, 07:38 PM
I actually have IE in my Dock, but it's good to see it go. Now MS just needs to get off their asses and update WMP. o_O

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2005, 07:47 PM
Nobody has heard of the Safari debug feature? I'd be willing to bet that Safari can do the trick on these sites that lock you out. Fool them into thinking you are using IE one Windows and they'll let you right in. Works with my old College of Business website, and a number of "Only Works With Windows IE" websites that are too lazy to verify compliance. It's on Mac OS hints.
I did that ... it severely mangled my med school application. This is my future! I should have stuck with IE. -_-

winmacguy
Dec 19, 2005, 10:01 PM
State taxes:D

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2005, 10:53 PM
State taxes:D

I'm not going to state the taxes, they're secret. Just pay up. :p :D

illegalprelude
Dec 20, 2005, 01:12 AM
hhmm this is in some ways bad. I still got a PC so I have no worries but for example, one of my credit cards, their site dosent work with Safari so I cannot access my account. ive seen even some colleges not work. I cant imagine why they would also yank the download.

doucy2
Dec 20, 2005, 06:47 AM
IE really sucks
i was so glad when i got a mac and started using safari
way faster
i feel bad for my pc which hasnt seen software updates since 2000 now i'll have to find a internet program

Project
Dec 20, 2005, 06:47 AM
The funny thing is the reasons websites give you when you arent using IE.. make you feel like you are running a real inadequate browser lol

Looks like im Gmailing myself the DMG of IE anyways... best keep it safe until the web finally becomes standards compliant.

Sic
Dec 20, 2005, 07:04 AM
the problem is from a web development point of view. i'm now going to have to get Guest PC just to test websites in IE, because even though i may not like it, IE is the most widely-used browser, and has to be catered for as a priority, if you're a professional.

mjstew33
Dec 20, 2005, 07:35 AM
does this even effect any mac users? :rolleyes:

bodeh6
Dec 20, 2005, 09:28 AM
What the heck. Bank One's online bill pay stopped working this month with Safari. It worked last month. Now I have to use Firefox to use the online bill pay. D**n you Microsoft. You to Chase for buying Bankone and changing the online bill pay.

Project
Dec 20, 2005, 09:34 AM
does this even effect any mac users? :rolleyes:

Yep, it definitely does, especially in the corporate / commerce area. Luckily, my main bank account supports Safari, but many simply dont and are IE only.

iHateWindows
Dec 20, 2005, 10:01 PM
Do they even have support for the Windows version? For any of their products?

iMeowbot
Dec 20, 2005, 10:32 PM
the problem is from a web development point of view. i'm now going to have to get Guest PC just to test websites in IE, because even though i may not like it, IE is the most widely-used browser, and has to be catered for as a priority, if you're a professional.
You should have been doing that all along, because Mac IE and Win IE have different rendering engines and display pages differently.

bryanc
Dec 22, 2005, 11:14 AM
Sure, we can use other browsers, or run VPC, or change our useragent strings, or whatever. But that's beside the point. We should be giving these companies as much grief as we can manage until they get a clue and hire web-developers who stick to standards.

I've just exchanged some emails with the Gap technical support people that went along these lines:

Me: Hi, your site (www.gap.com) is locking me out because I'm using Safari (a fully W3C standards-complient browser). But if I set my useragent string so that it looks like I'm using IE, the site works fine under Safari, so you don't need to change anything... just stop blocking Mac users. How is blocking affluent, fashion-conscious computer users good business anyway?

Them: We don't support IE for Mac. Our developers are working on it.

Me: Why are your developers working on supporting a long depreciated, discontinued browser that no one uses? I said "Safari". Why don't you require your developers to adhere to W3C standards and thereby support *everyone* at the same time?

I suggest as many mac users as possible inundate their tech support people with emails to this effect. Personally, I couldn't care less about the Gap, but, where the Gap leads, others will follow.

cheers

danny_w
Dec 22, 2005, 11:23 AM
Sure, we can use other browsers, or run VPC, or change our useragent strings, or whatever. But that's beside the point. We should be giving these companies as much grief as we can manage until they get a clue and hire web-developers who stick to standards.

I've just exchanged some emails with the Gap technical support people that went along these lines:

Me: Hi, your site (www.gap.com) is locking me out because I'm using Safari (a fully W3C standards-complient browser). But if I set my useragent string so that it looks like I'm using IE, the site works fine under Safari, so you don't need to change anything... just stop blocking Mac users. How is blocking affluent, fashion-conscious computer users good business anyway?

Me: Why are your developers working on supporting a long depreciated, discontinued browser that no one uses? I said "Safari". Why don't you require your developers to adhere to W3C standards and thereby support *everyone* at the same time?

I suggest as many mac users as possible inundate their tech support people with emails to this effect. Personally, I couldn't care less about the Gap, but, where the Gap leads, others will follow.

cheers
What you suggest could be a solution for home users, but is not going to have any effect whatever on corporate intranets. Most corporations, like it or not, use MS products for internal intranets, and this means that they are automatically designed for IE by default. Most corporations use Windows and IE at work, and aren't concerned about non-IE for their intranets. How does your solution help in this very major case? Unfortunately, the only way that I can see this happening is for MS to somehow "get religion" and start creating development tools that use the W3C standards.

bryanc
Dec 22, 2005, 12:51 PM
I agree that we can't do much about the corporate sheep and their intrawebs, but companies that have public websites that are not W3C standards-compliant deserve to be excoriate by mobs of rabid customers.

When the suits realize that they are loosing money by making IE-only websites, they'll be interested in options. If their tech-people are halfway competent, they'll be able to make the sites W3C compliant. Once the on-line gateways are standards-compliant, it should be a no-brainer to have future intraweb development done in a similarly standards-compliant manner. Once the intraweb are standards compliant, browsers become a non-issue (as they should be).

We can all do our part to get the ball rolling, by coming down like a ton of bricks on sites that require IE or that use non-standard code.

Cheers.

Apple Hobo
Dec 23, 2005, 09:03 PM

I find it a little odd that they'd support Firefox and not Safari. If other mega retail sites work with all newer browsers, what's keeping Gap's site from working? :rolleyes: