Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Does anyone know what the max number of times I can use a step up ring before I start to degrade image quality?

I've got an Olympus epl5 with a 20mm pancake lens. Since getting rid of my DSLR I've got a 0.9nd filter that's 67mm but the pancake is 46mm I believe. I don't really want to get rid of the nd filter because it's quite nice

Suggestions? Does anyone have experience with the adjustable nd filters?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Does anyone know what the max number of times I can use a step up ring before I start to degrade image quality?

I've got an Olympus epl5 with a 20mm pancake lens. Since getting rid of my DSLR I've got a 0.9nd filter that's 67mm but the pancake is 46mm I believe. I don't really want to get rid of the nd filter because it's quite nice

I'm really confused about what you are asking here. Is it just an adapter ring that goes from 46mm to 67mm and holds your beloved 0.9 ND filter? If so, why would you think it degrades the image? As long as it's not getting in the way of the angle of view of your lens, I fail to see an issue. I'd be more worried about possible image quality loss from a cheap ND filter.

I really don't understand the "maximum number of times" bit. :confused:

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

The main degradation from filters is from reflections, step-up rings don't change the number of air/glass interfaces, so as long as you don't get a noticeably larger amount of reflections it shouldn't affect it at all.

Paul

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Thanks Paul, that makes sense
I just thought if I added multiple rings (if I couldn't get a 46 to 67mm ring) the air glass interface would get larger and that may mess things up

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Since step up rings don't have glass elements in them therefore there is limited degradation.

Consider spending money on a decent ND as some of the cheaper ones have strong colour tints.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys

I'm in a bit of a bind. I have been clearing stuff out when I found my 67mm ND filter and that's when I had the brainwave to use it.

Unfortunately I leave for overseas next week so I was just trying to find a temporary solution to use this filter overseas then sort something more permanent out when I got back

I have something like this at the moment protecting my lens when I'm out and its likely to get knocked

185218d1377447657-k-01-hood-40mm-xs-pancake-lens-da-40-xs-hood-3.jpg

(this isn't mine, its just google but identical to what I've got)

I can get a 55mm-67mm step up ring shipped quickly within Aus and before I leave. Do you think there would be any glaring issues with this? When I get back I'll look into the rings from BH but at the moment the odds of them getting it to me before I leave are slim

----------

Since step up rings don't have glass elements in them therefore there is limited degradation.

Consider spending money on a decent ND as some of the cheaper ones have strong colour tints.

I've got a Tiffen 0.9 ND. Not sure on what that rates on the quality scale but I'm not a pro, so I am not sure I could majorly tell the difference :confused:

Don't have the cashflow to get serious filters at the moment, moving has eaten away at my bank account! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.