PDA

View Full Version : Apple should plant a palm in its garden

MacBytes
Dec 19, 2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple should plant a palm in its garden (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051219130033)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mkrishnan
Dec 19, 2005, 12:14 PM
So...hmmm...buy a company that got beaten, and barely put up a fight, by Microsoft's push of multiple functions coupled with increasing horsepower availability, to fight back Microsoft's push of multiple functions coupled with increasing horsepower availability? I'm sorry, I don't get it. :(

GaelDesign
Dec 19, 2005, 12:48 PM
I guess this guy doesn't get that Apple's design philosophy is such that they want simpler devices that do less, not the other way around. Buying Palm would be the opposite of the Apple way. Look at the iMac Front Row remote compared to Microsoft's Media Center. 'Nuff said.

Seasought
Dec 19, 2005, 01:08 PM
Consumers demand freedom and choice. Microsoft offered more of both and won the computer war, even though its technology was worse.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
:rolleyes:

achmafooma
Dec 19, 2005, 01:19 PM
I guess this guy doesn't get that Apple's design philosophy is such that they want simpler devices that do less...
Not sure that's totally true. A Mac is a simpler device than a Windows PC (insofar as usability), but it certainly doesn't do less. I switched in 2001 because I wanted a machine that did as much or more than my PC, but in a way that I could use it rather than fighting with it.

The PDA/Smartphone segment is ripe for a shakeup. The major smartphone systems (PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Symbian) all fall far short of where they should be. I'd love to see what Apple would do in this market!

Apple's design philosophy is not devices that do less, it's devices that do as much/more but in a way that people can actually use them! Apple's design/interface flair on the Palm Treo-like platform would be a welcome improvement.

Hooking up with Palm would make extra sense right now -- the Treo remains popular, but it is in desperate need of a modern, usable OS (this is where Apple's engineers would step in). PalmOS seems to be dying a slow death right now, and Windows Mobile (which will power the upcoming Treo 700w) is hardly an ideal solution.

Mac Mobile! Bring it on!

Bad Beaver
Dec 19, 2005, 02:01 PM
Consumers demand freedom and choice. Microsoft offered more of both and won the computer war, even though its technology was worse.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
:rolleyes:

You beat me to it :D
Didn't I just read a totally ignorant piece of writing from this paper a few days ago? It's articles like these that render me very positive about my future career. If ignorant crap like this gets paid, I will always do fine.

jayb2000
Dec 19, 2005, 02:10 PM
"Palm’s net value today is just $1.1 billion. Investors are worried because the company is too small to take on Microsoft alone. Merging it into Apple would solve the problem.
Based on the last reported share prices and financials, it would cost Apple 2 percent of its shares but immediately add 10 percent to sales and gross profits."

I would love to see a Treo with OS X or some variant thereof. How great would a Treo be with bonjour for printing and 802.11x? Plus full .mac synch via bluetooth.

Superdrive
Dec 19, 2005, 06:08 PM
What iPod competitor is the size of my thumb, has a better battery life, radio, and will shut the iPod out of the market?

Once it was Napster, now it is Limewire? I don't remember the old Napster killing iTMS and free file sharing has been around as long as the iTMS. What about iTMS driving iPods do people not understand? It's doesn't have to work on anything else.

It's good that the iPod uses iPod accessories. With a market as such, what is the problem. I'm sure there is a Rio out there somewhere that only uses Rio accessories.

This quote sums up the guy's knowledge:
"Once again, Microsoft gets it. You can already buy multi-function Pocket PC devices. The music player may not be as good as an iPod, but the products do more. "

Microsoft doesn't get it. It's about the music. KISS.

pth-webdev
Dec 20, 2005, 10:17 AM
IIRC, what is now Palm started as a device called Newton. A lot of the UI and how it works is still recognizable.

I have read reports that the lack of being able to input even small notes into an iPod was considered a minus, but that was way back when iPods were mistaken for PDA's. Nowadays everyone understands what an iPod is.

Personally, I'd rather have multiple devices, each powered with it's own battery. I don't want my phone to become unusable because I listened to music too long.

What is needed is devices working together, not being integrated.

The idea is interesting, though, that Apple would take Palm back and create a new platform. There already exists an OS for the iPod that is Linux-based and something similar could be done for Palm hardware, so theoretically there could exist a Palm running a scaled-down version of OSX in much the same way that other PDA's run a scaled down version of Windows.

Question remains: what would it do for Apple? I don't see it happening soon.