Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToanNguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Canada
Hi,
I am just wondering how easy is it to change the battery for the Ipod? Can I do it at home or do I have to send it out to the Apple store.
Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much everyone in advance.
Regards,
t.N

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
If you're having to change the battery on 5G iPod, I would go to the apple store and use my warranty. That baby is under a year old (waayyy under a year old) and the battery shouldn't be experiencing any problems yet.

If you're having issues, I'd re-calibrate the battery. Run it until the iPod shuts itself off, then charge it back up to 100%.

Edited to add:
It'll be a while before third-party batteries are on the market. I'm guessing they'll start popping up around October, November?

ToanNguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Canada
I am just wondering since according to a friend of mine, he said that the battery will be useless in about 8 months or so then I have to change to a new one.
So I am not a very happy camper when hearing this, especially if I have to send my ipod out to be changed every 8 months. So, I just hope that I will be able to do this at home.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
It's not every eight months. It can be probably 12 months to 18 months, depending on usage. (maybe even longer than that!)

As with ALL rechargeable batteries, the iPod's battery has a finite life. It won't last forever.

It will be possible to change the battery on the video, just like it was on the previous generations.
(the nano, not so much. As far as I can tell, the battery is soldered onto the board, meaning no in-home battery replacement.. :eek: )

Don't worry about your battery until you notice a change in performance. (IE not holding a charge long enough)

ToanNguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Canada
Thank you. I guess I will wait and see then.
But I really do hope that it will be easy to just change the battery yourself rather than send it out for replacement. That will be a drag.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
This is a myth that had surfaced before Apple had their warranty program. Someone's battery ran out after about a year and a half, and they were told by Apple that they had to buy a new one. Which even then was incorrect, and an official battery replacement program was announced by Apple. Buy AppleCare for iPod for $59US (not sure what it is in Canada) for an extra year, and if you have to, you can have Apple or someone else replace it for a small fee.

Otherwise, if you take good care of it, your battery should last a few years. Like any other rechargable, it just may not hold as much of a charge after awhile. Though as said above, you can usually just recalibrate it.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
what is the battery life like on the new video's? I see that futureshop has a 30GB one in stockr ight now and I am achin to get one (althought I just told myself yesterday that I would wait for an update...)

Just thought of this! What if you buy a 5G ipod then in 6 months or whatever a 3rd party battery with longer life comes out or Apple makes a new ipod with better battery life, maybe it would be able to go into the 5G, like Sony plans on doing with the psp (releasing a better battery as time goes on)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
ToanNguyen said:
I am just wondering since according to a friend of mine, he said that the battery will be useless in about 8 months or so then I have to change to a new one.
So I am not a very happy camper when hearing this, especially if I have to send my ipod out to be changed every 8 months. So, I just hope that I will be able to do this at home.

That's total crap.

There was a problem that affected a small number of 3rd generation iPod batteries and was subsequently fixed with the release of the 4G. My 3G iPod is coming up to 2 years old and I can still get about 6 or 7 hours of the originally claimed 8. You just have to use it properly.

Your friend has fallen victim to the anti-iPod hype. The batteries on the new ones are top notch and if you take care of it (this is an expensive piece of highly complex electronics you know, not something you can just lob about) then it should last you quite a long time. If you can afford the extended warranty Apple offers then by all means get it - it would give you peace of mind if nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.