Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The list is long, but many of them are already obsolete, i.e., been replaced by a newer model.

The market will dictate whether there's too many devices, i.e., people stop buying them

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

That is every devices made since the first. It's like saying the list is pretty long of all cars made.

To put in perspective, here's just Apple's list of iOS devices since 2007:
iPad
Ipad2
Ipad3
New iPad
iPad Air
iPod Classic
iPod Nano
iPod touch
iPod shuffle
iPhone 2g
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
Apple TV original
Apple TV 2
Apple TV 3

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Multiple devices from multiple manufacturers is natural isn't it?

Do we also say "too many windows devices"?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah there is a lot, but the amount of Android devices that are relevant right now is pretty small.

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
The list is long, but many of them are already obsolete, i.e., been replaced by a newer model.

The market will dictate whether there's too many devices, i.e., people stop buying them

My bad, i meant too many devices are released every year on Android. It would be nice to have a smaller selection of devices to choose from...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
My bad, i meant too many devices are released every year on Android. It would be nice to have a smaller selection of devices to choose from...

As I said in my post above, there are only so many Android devices that are actually worthwhile. Just do your research.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yeah there is a lot, but the amount of Android devices that are relevant right now is pretty small.

Agree with this.

If you're looking within Budget, Mid-Range and High End, there are probably only 3 or 4 great options within each. And that sell healthily.

High End: Galaxy S4, HTC One, Xperia Z1, G2.

Budget: Motorola G, etc etc.

There might be loads of variations but when you walk into a phone shop or two, it becomes clear quite quickly.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
That is every devices made since the first. It's like saying the list is pretty long of all cars made.

iPad
Ipad2
Ipad3
New iPad
iPad Air
iPod Classic
iPod Nano
iPod touch
iPod shuffle
iPhone 2g
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
Apple TV original
Apple TV 2
Apple TV 3

You have one too many listed. The Apple TV original, was OSX 10.4

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If they were all from one manufacturer then I would agree.

If iOS was open, then that list would be mostly devices with iOS.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
It would be nice to have a smaller selection of devices to choose from...

Huh? Thats like going to a car dealership and saying "You know what? I wish you guys only had a couple models to choose from instead of all these models." Do you only like chocolate or vanilla once cream? 31 flavors too many options? I don't know anyone who wishes they had LESS choices of something they want.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

iPad
Ipad2
Ipad3
New iPad
iPad Air
iPod Classic
iPod Nano
iPod touch
iPod shuffle
iPhone 2g
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
Apple TV original
Apple TV 2
Apple TV 3

iPod Shuffle, Nano and Classic are not iOS devices, nor is the 1st Apple TV.

iPod Touch should be expanded into 5 devices:

iPod Touch 1st generation
iPod Touch 2nd generation
iPod Touch 3rd generation
iPod Touch 4th generation
iPod Touch 5th generation

You've also missed the iPhone 5C, iPad Mini and iPad Mini Retina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS#Devices

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
edit

----------

iPod Shuffle, Nano and Classic are not iOS devices, nor is the 1st Apple TV.

iPod Touch should be expanded into 5 devices:

iPod Touch 1st generation
iPod Touch 2nd generation
iPod Touch 3rd generation
iPod Touch 4th generation
iPod Touch 5th generation

You've also missed the iPhone 5C, iPad Mini and iPad Mini Retina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS#Devices

You also have the 16GB version which lacks the rear facing camera.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
All those Apple devices since 2007 are nothing compared to all the Galaxy devices Samsung has released in just the past TWO years...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Indeed. And, fortunately, there are clear winners in all categories; for example, the Note 3 as a generic phone if you don't mind the size.

----------

High End: Galaxy S4, HTC One, Xperia Z1, G2.

And the Note 3, the, IMHO, best.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Indeed. And, fortunately, there are clear winners in all categories; for example, the Note 3 as a generic phone if you don't mind the size.

----------

And the Note 3, the, IMHO, best.

The Note 3 is really in a different category: phablet (or whatever).

It's not competition for the S4 - honest to God, I see loads of S3's and 4 around, but very few Note 3's in the UK.

Great product that still sells, of course, but if you're talking about phones that most people would use, you're talking 4-5".

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
On the android side, I envision more phablets and larger screen smartphones and less 7" tablets which may actually be discontinued as a result.

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
What huh? Are you somehow allergic to choice. Why would you want less to choose from?

And again, i was misunderstood. I meant that they have TOO many phones coming out at any given time. Maybe slow down on the releases and spread them out.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
And again, i was misunderstood. I meant that they have TOO many phones coming out at any given time. Maybe slow down on the releases and spread them out.

Gotcha, my fault. It did sound kind of odd that you wouldn't want a broader selection to choose from. Personally, I like when multiple OEM's release a multitude of devices but not when the next upgrade to the device I own gets released so soon, making my phone nearly obsolete.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Android is a free and open OS to use. You will be surprised the list of OEM's. Panasonic, Sharp, Acer, Garmin, Vizio, and many others have all released an Android device before.

I think this is a good thing as if the field gets too crowded, competition gets fierce and prices go down. Many local branded Android phones here in Manila can be bought for $50 and it includes Jelly Bean. Lenovo sells their A369i with 4.2 and dual sim/dual core for less than $100 and it has the same GPU (Mali 400) of the Samsung Galaxy Note from two years ago. Motorola is obviously selling a solid midrange spec phone like the Moto G for about $200. Google Nexus phones seem to give the best bang for your buck when it comes to high-end specs. Android really caters to all segments. Some of the recent features might be overkill to many.

Most flagships compared to the predecessor of the year before will give us a 1-2 second faster speed. Maybe 3 seconds faster opening up a game with a better GPU. Hardly noticeable after a year unless you try to look for it. But as long as the field gets crowded, it keeps innovation going and prices to go down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.