Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyckd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
I just found another REALLY IMPORTANT issue with Mavericks.

I was searching my hard drives for some files I had created and others I had downloaded.

Since a lot of times it's easier to find files using Cover Flow, I decided to switch to that as file names downloaded from the Internet aren't always as recognizable. I was searching through a number of PDF files with Cover Flow and decided I no longer needed those files after looking at the image of the file in Cover Flow. I was incredibly shocked when after deleting some files I thought weren't needed based on the image shown in Cover Flow, the files WEREN'T the files associated with the image.

For example, I had been looking at some RVs and downloaded the brochures for those RVs. In Cover Flow the file name shown in the finder is "2013 Airstream Travel Trailer.pdf". However, the image shown in Cover Flow is of the "Grey Wolf" travel trailers brochure.

In fact, NONE of the images that appear when I click on the associated file in the Finder are of the ACTUAL DOCUMENT. What is even more bizarre - there are images appearing in Cover Flow FOR FILES THAT DON'T EXIST on my Mac any more!!!

I've included a couple of screenshots to highlight this bizarre issue.

As you can see, the screenshot with the last file highlighted lists the files as Pewag Chains, yet the image appearing in Cover Flow for that file is of the Ascend Trailers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.54.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.54.08 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.52.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.52.39 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 84

wyckd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
This has NEVER happened before - until I upgraded to Mavericks @ a week ago.

My Mac HD drive is 640GB and there is 425GB free space on that drive. I don't understand why now, after I've upgraded to Mavericks, this is happening. I checked the link you provided and it basically just says you might want to clear the quicklooks cache file if you're running low on disk space - nothing about the quicklook cache getting confused.

What is also bizarre to me is that if you look at the attached screen shot, the volumes and sizes listed in the Finder have NO RELATION to the actual size of the volumes in the "Get Info" tabs shown to the left of the Finder window.

What is going on here? I don't know about anyone else, but this really raises questions in my mind about the reliability / integrity of Mavericks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 4.22.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 4.22.25 PM.png
    665.8 KB · Views: 107

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

My Mac HD drive is 640GB and there is 425GB free space on that drive. I don't understand why now, after I've upgraded to Mavericks, this is happening. I checked the link you provided and it basically just says you might want to clear the quicklooks cache file if you're running low on disk space - nothing about the quicklook cache getting confused.

Bugs happen on every OS. After an update to a X.X.0 release you're basically guaranteed to experience bugs, that's just the nature of today's extremely complex computing. If you don't want to experience many bugs it's highly advised to never update to the first release of an OS.

There is indeed Finder and Quicklook bugs in the current release. Multiple people have already posted on these very forums about Cover Flow getting out of sync when deleting a file.

Using the column browser is as far as I know not bugged and also provides a quick look at files in the far right. I would recommend using this view in the meantime, if your issue is not fixed by doing what cerberusss suggested.

What is also bizarre to me is that if you look at the attached screen shot, the volumes and sizes listed in the Finder have NO RELATION to the actual size of the volumes in the "Get Info" tabs shown to the left of the Finder window.

What is going on here? I don't know about anyone else, but this really raises questions in my mind about the reliability / integrity of Mavericks.

Can't you clearly see that the size column is reporting the used data(size) and not capacity just like it normally does...

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Here's one for you - somehow, pressing the 4 key brings up Launchpad. I've not made any changes, and verified that I dont have any keyboard shortcuts assigned to Launchpad. Its driving me nuts

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Here's one for you - somehow, pressing the F4 key brings up Launchpad. I've not made any changes, and verified that I don't have any keyboard shortcuts assigned to Launchpad. Its driving me nuts
On my 2011 MBP 15" with a Japanese keyboard, the F4 key has 2 rows of little boxes 3 on top, 3 bottom and that key pops up/closes Launch pad. The real mystery is why the F3 key, supposed to show the desktop, does nothing, unless you use Control+F3, then it works as it used to in ML, showing the Desktop. Agin I have not set up either of the F keys, must be system defaults.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
On my 2011 MBP 15" with a Japanese keyboard, the F4 key has 2 rows of little boxes 3 on top, 3 bottom and that key pops up/closes Launch pad. The real mystery is why the F3 key, supposed to show the desktop, does nothing, unless you use Control+F3, then it works as it used to in ML, showing the Desktop. Agin I have not set up either of the F keys, must be system defaults.

When I press the F4 key, LaunchPad flashes in and out about 3 times, and then stays. When I press the 4 key, it comes up right away. I created another profile on it to test it out, whether it was something profile specific or if it could be the keyboard itself, and it did the same behavior. So I'm going to make an appointment at the Apple store and have them take a look. Come to think of it, this didnt happen prior to the update that should have fixed the keyboard/touchpad freezes that affected some 13" rMBP's

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica

The only volume I see an issue with is Data 3, which shows a size mismatch between the two windows. I've seen this off and on with various Macs through at least 4 major releases now, dating back to Leopard. Usually repairing the affected volume through Disk Utility or Disk Warrior resolves it. I've never dove too far into it but my guess is some corruption within the file system of the volume.

In general though your situation is the exact situation I would expect to see some corruption & whatnot introduced. Any sort of large software update, OS upgrade/installation, etc always involves shuffling files around during the process. If you were upgrading a Mac that was new out of the box then you'd likely see a completely smooth process. However, once you factor in months/years of data and changes made to the OS it becomes a different story when this automated installation process is shuffling things around. This is the main reason a lot of veteran Mac users insist on clean installations rather than migrations or upgrades. Is this absolutely necessary? Not by any means. The flip side is you'll occasionally run into odd issues like this, though thankfully there are usually easy solutions.

The cover flow thing is definitely a bug though, one that as others have pointed has been widely mentioned ever since Mavericks formal release.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I've been seeing the same issue on my Mac.
It is especially problematic when I am importing photos from SD cards. I often am dealing in hundreds of photos.
Adobe Bridge can rebuild the preview cache, and this works.
However once I delete or move a few hundred photos it's out of sync again.
The only thing that works reliably and uses up little time is to back out of the directory I'm in and re-enter it again. SOmetimes I have to go up 2 levels if I moved the files across that many.
This is silly.
At least give us the mac equivalent of F5 on Windows if you are going to screw with something as elemental as the file manager view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.