Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've had this for 6 weeks and I haven't really used it at all. It's got a clean install of Leopard, my iTunes library transferred over, a few PPC apps installed, and that's about it.

The annoying things are that the wifi is terrible, low RAM (fixable), and slow internet performance.

I'm not sure what's going on with wifi, it appears it's never been opened (I'm waiting to get some Arctic Silver before doing the deed). When in the same room as the router wifi's great. Other than that it gets very low signal, pretty much unusable. My MBP will work everywhere in my small apartment at full strength.

RAM.. Fixable, and this may fix the poor performance of the internet.

As far as slow performance, RAM may help that but so far I'm not getting any page outs (I think that's what it's called).

I do get to play Diablo II now and it runs great at high settings.

Thoughts anyone? I paid $100 for it, along with gas money. It's in great condition, keyboard's dirty but that can be cleaned up. I've also been using a MacBook since 2006 so it's a little odd sitting at the table with a desktop. For a little more I can buy an external monitor, Mighty Mouse, and Keyboard and have a desktop when needed.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
If you're not using it and don't really want it around, sure, sell it. I keep mine around simply because I think it's an amazing-looking computer, not because I actually use it; I have an iMac G5 for my PowerPC needs though. Check your local craigslist and see what they are going for in your area.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
That's what I'm thinking. I originally wanted a Power Mac G4 and was planning on using it to transfer VHS tapes to DVD. Since it wouldn't be HD I thought the power would be fine. I actually just came across this on CL one day, thought the price was great for the specs, and decided to go for it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I've had this for 6 weeks and I haven't really used it at all.

I try my best to not post in the PowerPC forum mainly because I always tell people to save their money and not bother. This advice is usually not widely accepted.

PowerPC's are done. They offer just about zero benefits to users today mainly because they can't even handle modern websites or basic tasks (i.e. music ripping, video conversions, etc.). Sell it and be done with it.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I have a couple PowerPC Macs. One of them (a iMac G3) is hooked up and is used once or twice a week for word processing and light internet browsing. Most of the time they all sit as "museum" pieces.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I try my best to not post in the PowerPC forum mainly because I always tell people to save their money and not bother. This advice is usually not widely accepted.

PowerPC's are done. They offer just about zero benefits to users today mainly because they can't even handle modern websites or basic tasks (i.e. music ripping, video conversions, etc.). Sell it and be done with it.

I for one will not agree with what you said. Personal computers are tools. My powerpc computers still serve me best and I have no need for anything latest. My work is not affected at all. The beauty of a painting depends on the artist and not on the brush that he is using.

Its not about the computer, it is all about the person who is using it. Heck I can still get the job done on an old 400MHz PowerPC G4.

If your benchmark is youtube, interwebs speed and functionality you are much better on an iPad or any Android tablet for that matter. My computers are used for tasks better than browsing the internet or ripping music.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

They can handle modern web sites just fine with TenFourFox. Music ripping on a fast G4 is more limited by CD drive speed than CPU speed. (I ripped my 200+ CD collection on a 550 MHz G4.) Video conversions, absolutely. They are dog slow for converting any modern format. (A quad G5 could do it reasonably, but even so a current minimum-spec Mac mini would be faster...)

But if you want it for vintage nostalgia sake, they are absolutely useful. It just depends on how you define "useful". :-D I enjoy playing old 1995-2002 era games on my iMac G4. (Marathon, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Myst, The 7th Guest, etc.)

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

Well, I got my Powerbook G4, and it is quite fast. Not as fast as my Windows Desktop machine but it does the job quite well :)

PowerPC are more for like people who know how to use it, know the limitations and love them. Of course when people tell me about getting a Mac I tell them to get an iCore7 or Macbook Air :cool:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I for one will not agree with what you said
Like I said, my advice on this is generally not accepted :) I suppose I continue to argue my point from the standpoint that better computers are available. If push came to shove and I had to get a job done on as little budget as possible, I'd be perfectly comfortable hunting down a Quicksilver DP. That was probably my favorite PPC design (though I never owned one).

PowerPC are more for like people who know how to use it, know the limitations and love them.

I dealt with there limitations plenty in the 90's and 00's. I suppose at this point in time I just can't justify having a whole computer for tiny tasks. This is where I think the my Raspberry Pi, NAS, and iPad have really filled in the gaps.

If I were going to get nostalgic on anything, I'd make a bigger leap back to System 7. Fortunately, for those sort of things there are emulators to take care of that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
… I suppose I continue to argue my point from the standpoint that better computers are available.
I suppose at this point in time I just can't justify having a whole computer for tiny tasks.
This is why it is that you go wrong every time you make a post advising PowerPC fans to move on. For you (it seems) there must be a justifiable reason to have these Macs. Nostalgia is not a justification and neither is small tasks or such.

That's reasonable. The problem here though is that you are dealing with unreasonable people. Or rather, people who have reasons of their own for owning these Macs that aren't financially or otherwise justifiable by the standards you are setting for your own purchases. We are coming from two different places.

If I were going to get nostalgic on anything, I'd make a bigger leap back to System 7. Fortunately, for those sort of things there are emulators to take care of that.
And this is another example of what I mean. An emulator is enough to satisfy any nostalgic feelings you may have. For us, that's not enough. We want the actual machines. We want to interact with them on a physical level that brings a tactile satisfaction to us. This is why we are enthusiasts and continue to pursue our love of PowerPC Macs.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I dealt with there limitations plenty in the 90's and 00's. I suppose at this point in time I just can't justify having a whole computer for tiny tasks. This is where I think the my Raspberry Pi, NAS, and iPad have really filled in the gaps.

I never had limitations back in the 90's and 00's. Of course I always had the fastest Intel computer while I was growing up :) Never owned a mac till 2005 :cool:

Raspberry Pi? Really? An Xbox One/360 is sooooo much better, and I know that 'cause I have mine, with Netflix, Music and favorite music videos on it.

It is not about nostalgic. I travel a lot, work with a lot of projects, etc. The iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 are more than enough for the projects. Also I won't risk taking my Macbook out of my house. (By Travel I mean Bus, Car, etc.)

Since I didn't want a netbook, I chose both iBook and PowerBook, which are not the fastest nor the slowest. Both are for work, work great, do what I need and move on.

HD videos? Xbox 360/One. Gaming? Again Xbox. TV Shows? Xbox with Netflix. Skype? Again Xbox. HD video encoding? I use either my Intel or AMD computer, both far more powerful spending the same amount of money I spent on my Macbook.

"Sell it and be done with it" Well... That's an advice that pretty much anyone at a Windows 7/8 forum would say to you and your Intel Mac :rolleyes:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Raspberry Pi? Really? An Xbox One/360 is sooooo much better, and I know that 'cause I have mine, with Netflix, Music and favorite music videos on it.

Um... You're comparing a $60 device (for a ready-to-use as a home theater Raspberry Pi) to a $200+ device.

Yes, it's "sooooo much better," but it's also three times as much.

You know what? That Lexus LS600h is also sooooo much better than my wimpy little Kia Rio, too... :rolleyes:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
My RPi has Plex, and Netflix too and cost $35. My 360 RROD'd on me a few months back and I'm still debating on the next gen console I want. I'm thinking PS4.
It is not about nostalgic. I travel a lot, work with a lot of projects, etc. The iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 are more than enough for the projects. Also I won't risk taking my Macbook out of my house. (By Travel I mean Bus, Car, etc.)
Should have bought an iMac if you're not going to travel with your Mac.
Since I didn't want a netbook, I chose both iBook and PowerBook, which are not the fastest nor the slowest. Both are for work, work great, do what I need and move on.
I have an iBook G4... in the bottom of my gadget drawer. The iBook is pretty darn slow.
"Sell it and be done with it" Well... That's an advice that pretty much anyone at a Windows 7/8 forum would say to you and your Intel Mac :rolleyes:
My 2007 iMac and MBA are doing there jobs just fine these days. I don't need a specific computer to do their own tasks. I want one machine that will do everything I need, and until I need a gaming rig, that machine is going to be a Mac.

I'm glad that you are making the best of your PPC's and if you have questions I'm around :)

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
They can handle modern web sites just fine with TenFourFox. Music ripping on a fast G4 is more limited by CD drive speed than CPU speed. (I ripped my 200+ CD collection on a 550 MHz G4.) Video conversions, absolutely. They are dog slow for converting any modern format. (A quad G5 could do it reasonably, but even so a current minimum-spec Mac mini would be faster...)

But if you want it for vintage nostalgia sake, they are absolutely useful. It just depends on how you define "useful". :-D I enjoy playing old 1995-2002 era games on my iMac G4. (Marathon, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Myst, The 7th Guest, etc.)

I agree. I use my iBook some for nostalgia sake. I too play Marathon, 1, Durandul, and Infinity. I also play some old games with the help of classic support. I <3 my G4 :D

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
ppc macs are just find if buyers would understand the way computers/internet in general was the years these computers were made.

-take my 2004 ibook G4 1.2GHz....while it's only 9 years back you have to remember most people still used modems to connect to internet....the internet in general had way less flash,media,pics ect,thus making for better faster page loads.

-with ppc besides maxing the ram....one of the best upgrades you can do to help make them useful in today's computer world is to upgrade the harddrives! (my ibook runs faster using a external ssd with tiger installed running from the usb port then using the slow older 4200rpm internal hd.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
My RPi has Plex, and Netflix too and cost $35. My 360 RROD'd on me a few months back and I'm still debating on the next gen console I want. I'm thinking PS4.

Should have bought an iMac if you're not going to travel with your Mac.

I have an iBook G4... in the bottom of my gadget drawer. The iBook is pretty darn slow.

My 2007 iMac and MBA are doing there jobs just fine these days. I don't need a specific computer to do their own tasks. I want one machine that will do everything I need, and until I need a gaming rig, that machine is going to be a Mac.

I'm glad that you are making the best of your PPC's and if you have questions I'm around :)

I do have an iCore7 iMac. Well I just got it today :cool:

I spent US $40 on my Xbox 360, brand new. I had a lot of store "points" saved hehe ;)

I do need specific computers for specific tasks, for my jobs. Use my iMac for design and the normal computers for Visual Studio and other windows tasks. I discovered in a bad way that programs compiled on an intel iMac (with Windows 7) won't work on a normal PC. I have no idea why, and it sucks.

I have a lot of questions, like huge list. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.