Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Hey so, ive always been using a mac computer, my first one was a mac and i still do have a mac, but why does everyone on Facebook, youtube, twitter, 4chan, 9gag, tumblr, cheeseburger, yahoo, and pretty much any forum, hate macs?
Like people said, macs take 25,000 years to open safari, if you use mac you should kill yourself, like why cant i like a mac, and the os x if i want too? Personally i think its a lot better than windows and linux, except for gaming, which i can use bootcamp for. Im not kidding people gave me death threaths because i said mac was better lol.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hey so, ive always been using a mac computer, my first one was a mac and i still do have a mac, but why does everyone on Facebook, youtube, twitter, 4chan, 9gag, tumblr, cheeseburger, yahoo, and pretty much any forum, hate macs?
Like people said, macs take 25,000 years to open safari, if you use mac you should kill yourself, like why cant i like a mac, and the os x if i want too? Personally i think its a lot better than windows and linux, except for gaming, which i can use bootcamp for. Im not kidding people gave me death threaths because i said mac was better lol.

if you get death threats you should be reporting it to the police, especially if you can identify the sender.

Why even discuss it? it's a waste of time to argue with people who are close-minded.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
if you get death threats you should be reporting it to the police, especially if you can identify the sender.

Why even discuss it? it's a waste of time to argue with people who are close-minded.

Yeah, i know that its a waste of time, but i just wonder what makes people hate mac so much.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
A) Stupid people
B) People seem to have the impression that Mac users are all ... well, fanboys.

I love Macs, but some of the people who use them make me frustrated.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Because Apple makes computers and phones that (generally speaking) only target a single demographic, and if you're not a part of that demographic, what they offer is not only useless, but it's downright insulting.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What a load of crap :rolleyes:

Uh huh. You've been a Mac user for years, you can't tell me that you don't see Apple slowly pushing the professional crowd out, removing features or simply refusing to add features that many "power users" would like, because it might increase complexity.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Uh huh. You've been a Mac user for years, you can't tell me that you don't see Apple slowly pushing the professional crowd out, removing features or simply refusing to add features that many "power users" would like, because it might increase complexity.

Of course not you must always put you're rose colored glasses on when talking Mac.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
For me, it is the slow removal and shunning of pro-features. But many people have a habit of hating stuff for it simply not fitting in their personal ecosystems.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Apple very much as a "my way or the highway" attitude. They design their hardware, software, and cloud services to be tightly integrated with each other. If you do things the way they design and intend, things generally work great.

But if you don't want to do things their way -- well, tough.

This affects everything that Apple does. It is in their DNA. They find something, make it work beautifully their way, and call it the most remarkable thing ever (says Jony Ive, with a tear rolling down his cheek). Oh, and they charge a pretty penny for it.

Want more storage for your iPad? Buy a new, bigger model. But why can't I just put in an SD card and upgrade the storage? Sorry, can't do that. How about a USB port on my iPad? Why would you even want that? Sorry, can't do that.

Want more RAM in your MacBook Air? Buy a new model. But why can't I just replace the RAM module? Sorry, can't do that. It's soldered, see, to make it thin and light. Didn't need thin and light? Prefer a cheaper computer over one with unibody aluminum construction? You're wrong, don't you know. You don't know what you want. Apple does. Trust them.

Want a Blu-Ray optical drive in your iMac? No you don't. Optical media is dead, or didn't you know? The future is in digital streaming.

Want to sell apps, or upgrades within your apps? Gotta pay Apple the 30% cut. Don't like it? Tough.

Want to manage your photo collection your own way, in folders on your own hard drive? Why on earth would you want to do that? Just be a good little boy and let Papa Apple take care of it for you, and sort all your photos in the iPhoto library the way they're supposed to be sorted. Gotta problem with that? Tough.

Hey, none of this is a bad thing if you're willing to let Apple take over some of the decision-making for you. If you don't really care where or how your photos are stored, then by all means let iPhoto take care of it. But if you want control, you have to fight little battles all the time about where and how Apple likes to do things.

The worst (?) part is, it affects the users too.

I remember, when I first switched to OS X, asking what I thought were simple questions about how to do stuff. Hey, when I was working in Windows, I could do X. On the Mac, it does Y. How do I do X on the Mac?

The answers I got varied from useless to downright insulting. You can't do X on a Mac. It's just not done. Why would you even want to do X? Y is way better! Just learn to do it the Mac way. Put up and shut up. You'll realize Y was the better way all along. You were wrong to think X was useful.

But doing X has its advantages, I would say. NO! X has NO advantages. X is WRONG! Y is the ONLY way! And, my favourite, if you insist on doing X, then why don't you buy a Windows PC. Clearly the Mac isn't for you.

That's why people hate Macs.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Want a Blu-Ray optical drive in your iMac? No you don't. Optical media is dead, or didn't you know? The future is in digital streaming.

I really have to add on to this. I was at an Apple store over the weekend buying an iMac for my dad, and I got talking to a sales rep. My girlfriend asked "what is a superdrive?" and "can it play my movies?" because she didn't know what a "super" drive was.

First the genius was shocked, but understood that not everyone could be expected to know that a "superdrive" was actually a "DVD and CD drive", but he politely explained it. But once she asked if it could also play her blu-rays, he was downright insulted, explaining that "Steve knew blu-ray wasn't going to take off". I wanted to ask "Who's steve, and why should it matter what he thought", but I bit my tongue.

The whole attitude that permeates the "Apple diehards" is downright disgusting. Luckily, it's been toned down with Apple's popularity, but that exchange I had was really a throwback to the older days of Apple. The worst part was how this is going on while I'm trying to buy an apple product, I'm not even trying to be a dick!

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Apple very much as a "my way or the highway" attitude. They design their hardware, software, and cloud services to be tightly integrated with each other. If you do things the way they design and intend, things generally work great.

This affects everything that Apple does. It is in their DNA. They find something, make it work beautifully their way, and call it the most remarkable thing ever (says Jony Ive, with a tear rolling down his cheek). Oh, and they charge a pretty penny for it.

Want more storage for your iPad? Buy a new, bigger model. But why can't I just put in an SD card and upgrade the storage? Sorry, can't do that. How about a USB port on my iPad? Why would you even want that? Sorry, can't do that.

Want more RAM in your MacBook Air? Buy a new model. But why can't I just replace the RAM module? Sorry, can't do that. It's soldered, see, to make it thin and light. Didn't need thin and light? Prefer a cheaper computer over one with unibody aluminum construction? You're wrong, don't you know. You don't know what you want. Apple does. Trust them.

Want to sell apps, or upgrades within your apps? Gotta pay Apple the 30% cut. Don't like it? Tough.

Want to manage your photo collection your own way, in folders on your own hard drive? Why on earth would you want to do that? Just be a good little boy and let Papa Apple take care of it for you, and sort all your photos in the iPhoto library the way they're supposed to be sorted. Gotta problem with that? Tough.

Hey, none of this is a bad thing if you're willing to let Apple take over some of the decision-making for you. If you don't really care where or how your photos are stored, then by all means let iPhoto take care of it. But if you want control, you have to fight little battles all the time about where and how Apple likes to do things.

I remember, when I first switched to OS X, asking what I thought were simple questions about how to do stuff. Hey, when I was working in Windows, I could do X. On the Mac, it does Y. How do I do X on the Mac?

The answers I got varied from useless to downright insulting. You can't do X on a Mac. It's just not done. Why would you even want to do X? Y is way better! Just learn to do it the Mac way. Put up and shut up. You'll realize Y was the better way all along. You were wrong to think X was useful.

But doing X has its advantages, I would say. NO! X has NO advantages. X is WRONG! Y is the ONLY way! And, my favourite, if you insist on doing X, then why don't you buy a Windows PC. Clearly the Mac isn't for you.

Some of your points are good and I can see why some people don't like macs. But, in my experience the people that try them end up loving them. For the most part everything Apple makes works flawlessly, and the winblows crowd can't say that. I switched 12 years ago and never looked back and have converted at least 20 friends and family to Macs.

p.s. When I switched the iPod was just taking off, iBooks and titanium powerbooks were the bomb. I started really looking at what Apple and Mr. Jobs were trying to do, tying everything together to "just work". I though this will really catch on. So much so I bought 2000 shares of Apple right at $15 with a bonus check from work and some savings.

I LOVE MACS!!

macs4nw

macrumors 601

With such a detailed and long, not to mention, passionate post, you almost have some of us wondering if you hate macs? While much of what you've said is true, many put up with these limitations for simplicity's sake. Not everybody has the knowledge, desire or inclination to deal with myriad settings and configurations.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

A big plus 1 from me, especially with the bolded sections. Personally I cannot stand how Apple is successfully shunning optical media. I collect all my music on CDs and a computer without a CD player is useless to me. People may scream that stuff like upgrading and optical media is dead, but not in my world and it is stuff like this that has only resulted in me buying less products off Apple over the past few years.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
A big plus 1 from me, especially with the bolded sections. Personally I cannot stand how Apple is successfully shunning optical media. I collect all my music on CDs and a computer without a CD player is useless to me. People may scream that stuff like upgrading and optical media is dead, but not in my world and it is stuff like this that has only resulted in me buying less products off Apple over the past few years.

Indeed, I think that Apple's "modern" hardware is pretty much unusable; no optical drives, not even an Ethernet port on the latest laptops. I actually recently sent feedback to Apple asking them to consider licensing out OS X, in which I included a phrase along the lines of "since Apple is clearly no longer attempting to compete when it comes to hardware". I know that my feedback won't accomplish anything, but hopefully at least one person reads/understands it!

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
...I remember, when I first switched to OS X, asking what I thought were simple questions about how to do stuff. Hey, when I was working in Windows, I could do X. On the Mac, it does Y. How do I do X on the Mac?

The majority of this post can be summarised by stating one simple fact:

If you don't like what Apple offer, use something else.

Your arguments could be equally countered thus:

You can't do Y on Windows. It's just not done. Why would you even want to do Y? X is way better! Just learn to do it the Windows way. Put up and shut up. You'll realize X was the better way all along. You were wrong to think Y was useful.

If you're not prepared to adapt your way of working, why even consider switching? If something is working great for you, why change?

Why do people expect Apple, or any manufacturer, to cater to EVERY method of working?

This is an impossible ideal, not based in reality.

I switched to Mac OS X in a personal capacity a long time ago. I didn't make a single compromise in the process. I still use Windows, for particular tasks.

I switched because I was disatisfied with what my Windows-based notebook offered. I didn't expect Mac OS X to function the same, or even in a remotely similar fashion.

I switched, expecting, and desiring something different.

I switched, looking for something better.

That's what I found, something different, and entirely more suited to my requirements.

Those will likely be different requirements to any one of the 7 billion people on the planet.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
The majority of this post can be summarised by stating one simple fact:

If you don't like what Apple offer, use something else.

Your arguments could be equally countered thus:

You can't do Y on Windows. It's just not done. Why would you even want to do Y? X is way better! Just learn to do it the Windows way. Put up and shut up. You'll realize X was the better way all along. You were wrong to think Y was useful.

If you're not prepared to adapt your way of working, why even consider switching? If something is working great for you, why change?

Why do people expect Apple, or any manufacturer, to cater to EVERY method of working?

This is an impossible ideal, not based in reality.

I switched to Mac OS X in a personal capacity a long time ago. I didn't make a single compromise in the process. I still use Windows, for particular tasks.

I switched because I was disatisfied with what my Windows-based notebook offered. I didn't expect Mac OS X to function the same, or even in a remotely similar fashion.

I switched, expecting, and desiring something different.

I switched, looking for something better.

That's what I found, something different, and entirely more suited to my requirements.

Those will likely be different requirements to any one of the 7 billion people on the planet.

The problem isn't so much what's said as how it's said. When you tell someone the way they do something is stupid you are calling them stupid because they developed the habit or way. People generally don't take a step back and explain how they end up with the same end result. There are too many unequivocal statements made here and it turns people off.

Mac people are arrogant

Linux people are geeky

Windows people are hardware nerds

While these statements don't generally hold true there is a grain of truth to them all.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
agree with some of this

I agree with a large part of your post. The Disposability of Macs and the recent attitudes are very disappointing. I know, they're in business to make $ get used to it.

I am hanging in, however, although the more I see with all the display/build issues the more bummed I am. The build quality and lack of Quality Control in almost every computer line over the past four years is increasingly problematic. While I am a design fan, the designs are becoming determental to the product and the user.

As someone who is going on 18 years of using Macs at home etc., it is harder for me to justify beyond the ease of use and the OS (when it works...)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
The problem isn't so much what's said as how it's said. When you tell someone the way they do something is stupid you are calling them stupid because they developed the habit or way. People generally don't take a step back and explain how they end up with the same end result. There are too many unequivocal statements made here and it turns people off.

Mac people are arrogant

Linux people are geeky

Windows people are hardware nerds

While these statements don't generally hold true there is a grain of truth to them all.

That's an entirely different argument, and I don't like generalisations.

What you are referring to is entirely dependant upon the individual, and not their chosen OS platform.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013

What you are referring to is entirely dependant upon the individual, and not their chosen OS platform.

People dislike things based on generalizations.

I'm not arguing with you I'm informing you why that poster said what he said. People in here and on other forums can be very silly and petty and it turns people off. You don't have to actually like his conclusion nor agree with it, it's the way he feels so it's a real as the sunrise.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

I think my big long rant was pointing more toward the collective arrogance of some of the fan base (and forum base) as much as the apparent arrogance behind the decisions Apple is making. Apple says "take this, we know what's best for you" and the Apple fanatics ratchet it up even more.

Yes, Apple has made some restrictive choices in the name of making a tightly integrated system. Yes, as consumers, we have to choose to either accept that, or buy something else. I believe in making informed decisions and I'll buy whatever works best for me. I'm not going to be blindly loyal one way or another.

Several posters questioned where *I* stood with Macs based on the rant post. To be honest, I'm not really sure. I switched to the Mac in 2003 because at the time it offered a far superior experience over Windows XP. I am still using the Mac (and iPhone, and iPad). However, you'll note that most of the Apple decisions that people are not happy about today, have occurred since that time. Each time Apple has made a unilateral design decision, I've said "OK... I guess I can live with that."

Look, on the whole I like what Apple has done. There's no question they make excellent hardware with reliable software. The "it just works" mantra is still true (mostly). But I go in knowing full well what the strengths and weaknesses are, and I try to also keep up to date on what the other guys are doing (e.g. Android phones, Windows 8.1). Next time I'm due to buy a device, I'll have to evaluate it based on what's current at the time.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Personally I cannot stand how Apple is successfully shunning optical media. I collect all my music on CDs and a computer without a CD player is useless to me.
Exactly the same for me. When it was time to upgrade my trusty old iMac, that was the one huge deal-breaker that made me get a PC instead (and install OS X on it for old time's sake).

If it wasn't for that, I'd still have an iMac and I'd know nothing about life on the other side of the fence (been using Macs since the 90s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.