Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Adobe CC is now monthly subscription service.

Basically anything close to $100 will be a pirated copy (don't buy it!), considering full retail copy costs much more.

That is free, but it works only with Photoshop CS3.

I am pretty sure you can still do the conversion. The DNG format can work with more than just photoshop. Adobe doesn't place any restrictions on it. It's just that it never really took off that well.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am pretty sure you can still do the conversion. The DNG format can work with more than just photoshop. Adobe doesn't place any restrictions on it. It's just that it never really took off that well.

Yes DNG can work outside of photoshop, but the "download" link is for an Adobe software plugin that won't work without Adobe software.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yes DNG can work outside of photoshop, but the "download" link is for an Adobe software plugin that won't work without Adobe software.

I'm not sure this is true.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5569
The Adobe DNG Converter is a free utility that enables you to easily convert camera-specific raw files from more than 350 cameras to the more universal DNG raw format.

I haven't used it in a long time. As I recall though it can spit out a converted file without piping it through photoshop.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You can probably find a copy on eBay pretty cheap, just be sure to find a reputable seller and that you're not buying a student license.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Okay, so I am guessing I would need to purchase CS3 then download that? Can you send me some links where I can buy cs3 or cs6 cheap? (Non-pirate)

Why do you want Photoshop?

Come to think about it, Lightroom would be a good option for you. Around $100.

I'm not sure this is true.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5569

I haven't used it in a long time. As I recall though it can spit out a converted file without piping it through photoshop.

Well, seems like you are right but basically any modern photo editor that's worthwhile will be able to read RAW files. There's no need for such software.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well, seems like you are right but basically any modern photo editor that's worthwhile will be able to read RAW files. There's no need for such software.

That's why I don't use it. I considered writing a raw --> linear EXR processor , but I can't find a good library of camera data.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Adobe has a transfer-of-ownership program. If you buy a copy of PS, just give Adobe a call, and ask if the reported license qualifies for their transfer scheme. Then download the appropriate form and fill it out with the seller.
I also believe Elements has become more Photoshop in the last versions. I still have a Photoshop Light 6.0 version that came with a scanner, and boy that was good Photoshop for little money! They completely messed up with Elements 1.0, but it seems to have got back towards the ancient Photoshop Light concept.

chrisl123

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Anyone know where I can buy Photoshop CS3 for under or close to a $100?

I found this on eBay.
Unfortunately, most of the results of 'Photoshop CS3' on eBay is either instructional videos or 'Photoshop compatible.'
The link that I provided is for PC, by the way, and it's the cheapest I could find.:)
(If the pricing is in another language, sorry! I'm on vacation right now.:D)

Last edited:

remon7

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
Hi CS3

Anyone know where I can buy Photoshop CS3 for under or close to a $100?

Better u can collect it from EBay. But I would recommend you buy from adobe official website.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.