Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
iPod for photos and movies.

I was viewing the pics I took this wekend and it dawned on me.

Imagine this; a large tablet-like device with an 8" screen that serves as a digital picture frame when on a stand. It can be passed around at family get togethers so everyone can see the photos instantly w/o printing - but it can connect directly to a printer.

It has USB so you can connect your digital camera to it directly. It has FW so you can connect your video camera to it and download movies. The kids can watch the movies in the car on vacation.

It would tie in with the iPhoto and iMovie updates.

If this isn't it then Apple should build one of these next.

Wad'ya think?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
*shrug*

It is a neat idea.. but what's the point? :) Most digital cameras have usb so you can hook up directly to a printer and there isn't much need for a ~$800 digital picture frame. What you're talking about is a tablet/ipod that is only for images or video... there isn't even a market for this device. Why would apple put that much effort into making a tablet thingy... but put in no functionality of osX into it? The storage requirements for digital video alone would be in the 60gigbayte+ range... that's going to get really pricey for just family gatherings.
Also, it would largely diminish the sales of their computers that they are already marketing as the digital hub.

If we do get an iWalk type deal, I'll **** myself, change my pants, and go buy one... but I don't see it happening. God, it would be nice to get the Powermac line refreshed with bluetooth and an cell/pda/mp3 device to connect it to but its not going to happen. just give me 970 baby... nice try though.

I checked out your webpage, thats nice. I just bought a Canon G2, and I love it. I do need to invest in a zoom lens though.. the 3x optical just doesnt cut it.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: The new digital device is actually an

Originally posted by moby1
iPod for photos and movies.

I was viewing the pics I took this wekend and it dawned on me.

Imagine this; a large tablet-like device with an 8" screen that serves as a digital picture frame when on a stand. It can be passed around at family get togethers so everyone can see the photos instantly w/o printing - but it can connect directly to a printer.

It has USB so you can connect your digital camera to it directly. It has FW so you can connect your video camera to it and download movies. The kids can watch the movies in the car on vacation.

It would tie in with the iPhoto and iMovie updates.

If this isn't it then Apple should build one of these next.

Wad'ya think?

I think it's a great idea, i would love one if it was inexpensive enough at low storage levels. And imagine that once you were done taking pictures on your digital camera, you plug it into the photo frame and look at them at a manageable quality (not the lcd on the camera, some of them really suck and are small too), and bring them over without even going to the mac first. When you plug the frame in you could choose if you want to copy mac to the frame or frame to the mac. This is because there's no worries about copyright violation (that's the reason you can't do iPod to mac without messing around with the iPodControl folder - they don't want us to have complete pirating freedom).

But there's one BIG, BIG problem that i don't think that any of us, steve jobs or his R&D will be able to get past when designing this:
RYAN MILLER PREDICTED IT!
I mean... macosrumors.com hasn't been right in a long time.... the fact that ryan predicts it makes it impossible from our points of view. I don't think that APPLE would even want to admit miller was right...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.