Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
What is the best way to transfer files from a PPC Mac to computer running Linux? I am currently running Linux Mint and would like to move all the files off the Mac.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
What is the best way to transfer files from a PPC Mac to computer running Linux? I am currently running Linux Mint and would like to move all the files off the Mac.

Is the computer you are running Linux (dual-boot) on the same Mac you mentioned? If it is a different computer, you might use firewire, if the other computer has a firewire port. You could also use a simple USB stick to transfer files from one computer to the other, or the same if you are transporting the files to Linux running on the same computer. You could also use DVDs or CDs for transportation, although I only would if I didn't have a USB drive and had a bunch of CDs or DVDs sitting around. I you need to buy something to transfer, get a USB drive. Can be used hundreds of times. :) One other suggestion, this may just be the best and you won't need to spend money, is Google drive or Dropbox. You can upload files, and re-download them onto ANY computer that can access the web. It is all cloud based, and you don't have to worry about buying anything. If you don't have USB drive or CDs, go with this. Good luck! :)

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
They are different computers.

I have an External HD, so I would probably use that. Just wondering if I should use a specific formatting option for the HD? How can I make iTunes compatible on Linux?

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
They are different computers.

I have an External HD, so I would probably use that. Just wondering if I should use a specific formatting option for the HD? How can I make iTunes compatible on Linux?

That would be a great option. Since it is at hand, I would probably use that. I'm not sure if you need a special formatting for the HD, probably not, but I could be wrong. Its always worth a try...
There is no version of iTunes that runs natively on Linux, unfortunately, but you can install it through Wine. Here are some links for how to do so: here and here.

Last edited:

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Guess I will have to use wine. I might look up a way to convert the files as some of the iTunes files I have on the computer I'd prefer to play them in other media players.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Guess I will have to use wine. I might look up a way to convert the files as some of the iTunes files I have on the computer I'd prefer to play them in other media players.

They should play fine in any other media player. Just right-click on the music file, and select "open with..." and that should do it.

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
My PPC iBook G4 isn't reading this Toshiba HD. Any ideas? What should I do to format it?

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
My PPC iBook G4 isn't reading this Toshiba HD. Any ideas? What should I do to format it?

Hmmmmm. That's probably what I would do, if you have data on it, back it up. it will be erased in a format as you probably know :). Are you sure its not reading it? Icon on the desktop? What about icon in the sidebar in finder? Or open disk utility and see if it shows up and you can open it from there.

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
It's picked up the drive but it won't let me put anything on it. I can format it in 4 different ways on the PPC.

• Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  • Mac OS Extended
  • MS-DOS File System
  • UNIX File System

What way should I use for reading off in Linux Mint? I assume Unix?

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
People are on the Linux Mint IRC are saying I should use Gparted.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Can't you just copy all the files over your network?

If I share a directory in Leopard I can see it from an Ubuntu machine and copy away no problems.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
It's picked up the drive but it won't let me put anything on it. I can format it in 4 different ways on the PPC.

• Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  • Mac OS Extended
  • MS-DOS File System
  • UNIX File System

What way should I use for reading off in Linux Mint? I assume Unix?

Hi, if you format the external drive to MS-DOS File System, it will become Fat32, which can be read and written to in both OS X and Mint.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you leave the partition as Apple Partition Map or if you need to make it Master Boot Record, shouldn't do but others with more experience may know better.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

Javelin Dan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Akron, OH. USA
As everyone before me said, most files will transport just fine. The only exceptions I found when doing this were document files that were saved in native "Apple Works" formating. First save these files to "Rich Text Format" and you will have no problems transporting your documents. I found out the hard way and after I changed over, I had to export all my document files to a relative that was still using a version of Mac OS, have him convert them, and send them back to me.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I simply copied all my files onto a flashdrive (you'll probably need at least 16Gb), and moved them to the appropriate place once plugged into your Linux OS. A little time consuming, but not bad really. Once moved over, check out the backup software (Deja Dup in the repository if not natively installed). If you ever need to restore or clone a new computer you just plug it in, start it, and walk away. An hour or so later everything is installed just the way you had it before. Very cool...

Last edited:

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you leave the partition as Apple Partition Map or if you need to make it Master Boot Record, shouldn't do but others with more experience may know better.

Do you mean partitioning the HD on the iBook? Not sure if it is worth really.

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Edit: I forgot to mention that I simply copied all my files onto a flashdrive (you'll probably need at least 16Gb), and moved them to the appropriate place once plugged into your Linux OS. A little time consuming, but not bad really. Once moved over, check out the backup software (Deja Dup in the repository if not natively installed). If you ever need to restore or clone a new computer you just plug it in, start it, and walk away. An hour or so later everything is installed just the way you had it before. Very cool...

You could use a flash drive but since they fail often it's not great for backups. I guess HDs fail too though and usually at the worst times.

I don't see Deja Dup on Linux Mint but it is a different OS than Ubuntu. If anyone has a good suggestion for a Linux Mint backup tool I'd be glad to hear a suggestion. All the ones I've tried don't work well.

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Would something like this work for backup for you?

Already tried that Mint Backup and it doesn't work. I've asked around and it seems to be a common complaint. I also tried luckyBackup but it wouldn't copy the whole system for some reason.

pcfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Deja Dup is the way to go for backing up Linux machines.

In terms of transferring files it seems the best option is to just burn DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.