PDA

View Full Version : The reasons why Apple is better

MacBytes
Dec 19, 2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The reasons why Apple is better (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051220004135)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Dec 19, 2005, 11:44 PM
So, the thing that makes Apple better is not the design, OS, or a mouse button less, it is not playing the same rules that govern PCs.

What? OMG. First of all, Apple has a two plus button mouse. Secondly, anybody with 1/10th a brain will realize Apple's OS is far superior to Windows.

brepublican
Dec 20, 2005, 01:16 AM
Though I dont like the tone of the article, I of course agree that Apple is better. And one of the reasons why this is so is the "willingness to do the right thing" which is not necessarily the cheap thing (almost always not). I think that statement sums up the essence of Apple.

EDIT: *sums

jackc
Dec 20, 2005, 07:40 AM
That article is kind of dumb. Basically, Apple doesn't have to compete with PCs so it can use better parts and can charge whatever it wants. Yet there's nothing distinctive about OSX. Yeah, sure.

alexstein
Dec 20, 2005, 07:48 AM
What a waste of time. OSX looks pretty so what? I believe the author of the article does not use PC or Mac's at all.

Like I said don't even read this article it's a wast of time!!

xtbfx
Dec 20, 2005, 08:19 AM
Plus the author says the design doesn't make them better.
I guess all those design awards Ives has won doesn't mean a thing. Plus every other computer manufacturer is trying to copy Apples design.

mainstreetmark
Dec 20, 2005, 08:36 AM
You know it's a slow rumor day when even the positive articles get **** on by the teeming masses of MR.

Yvan256
Dec 20, 2005, 09:35 AM
I think you should read the article as a manufacturer/marketing point of view instead of a end-user point of view.

Or, to put it another way, "Why Apple doesn't suck like almost every other computer companies out there". He's right about OS X, the mouse, etc. It doesn't matter because of what those things are (or aren't), it matters because Apple controls all of it, from software to hardware.

And since Apple cares more about quality than price, we get the hardware and software we all know today.

It may seems obvious to Mac users (hence the comments so far), but two or three years ago I would've been in the "gimme faster and cheaper" camp myself, just like (most) current Windows users. And as far as OS X goes, well, all you see left and right is people to copy the style of OS X. It's almost normal that they can't "get it" unless they actually use OS X. All they see is the GUI candy, so that's what they think about when we talk about OS X and Macs.

galleyhannon
Dec 20, 2005, 11:30 AM
This article was poorly conceived. A Mac is a whole system that shouldn't be divided into parts. It's like saying that the Mac OS is good because of Spotlight. No, it isn't. It is good because the experience, as a whole, is fluid, intuitive, and responsive. Every detail of the Mac system was crafted with more care than the competition. Separately, the hardware and the OS can't be called a Mac. Additionally, you have to remember all the amazing apps that Apple makes, the well-developed third party software, and even all those tailored mac accesories. It is a whole. You can hold an ice cube in your hand, but let hot air separate the molecules and you will have water dripping through your fingers.

xtbfx
Dec 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
I got such a professional response from the author. Makes me want to read him all the time. :rolleyes:

Here is his response to my comment:
"I would try to explain things to you, but you missed the point of the article totally, and appear to be an arrogant prick. Next."

Fender2112
Dec 20, 2005, 01:42 PM
I think most of you missed the point on this article. The whole Mac experience from the software to the hardware and everything in between is not being disputed. The writer is making the point that because Apple doesn't really compete against PC's they are able to provide the Apple experience we all enjoy. I happen to find this to be an interesting point of view.

dejo
Dec 20, 2005, 01:50 PM
The writer is making the point that because Apple doesn't really compete against PC's they are able to provide the Apple experience we all enjoy.

IMO, that is the flaw with the argument, since Macs do compete with PCs. If they didn't, there wouldn't be such a "war" going on. I have never seen many 'Macs vs. athletic footwear' soldiers, for example.

iGary
Dec 20, 2005, 01:58 PM
Even with the Windows tax, you can find sub $300 PCs that are functional if not stupendous.

I stopped reading there. Pisses me off that I even contributed a hit to the advertising stats.

Dec 20, 2005, 03:00 PM
I think most of you missed the point on this article. The whole Mac experience from the software to the hardware and everything in between is not being disputed. The writer is making the point that because Apple doesn't really compete against PC's they are able to provide the Apple experience we all enjoy. I happen to find this to be an interesting point of view.

idd! Well said :-)

Seasought
Dec 20, 2005, 03:38 PM
This article fails (like many others I've read) to really get the point across as to why people choose Apple over other cheaper alternatives. Yes, it is just an opinion article but it isn't developed enough and doesn't combine better points about the "how's" and "why's" with regard to price and quality opting instead to attempt to sound intelligent by being vague.

Just my opinion (as usual). :D

Randall
Dec 20, 2005, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry, but the reason that I use Mac is not just because of it's increadible design, but it's OS. OS X is the king. The sexiest UNIX of all time, and the most intuitive GUI you could ask for. Raw UNIX power that looks beautiful. The best of both worlds. That is the real reason Mac is better. :cool:

Seasought
Dec 20, 2005, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry, but the reason that I use Mac is not just because of it's increadible design, but it's OS. OS X is the king. The sexiest UNIX of all time, and the most intuitive GUI you could ask for. Raw UNIX power that looks beautiful. The best of both worlds. That is the real reason Mac is better. :cool:

That's an excellent point and I think it's something that's really under-sold and under-mentioned. I remember when I struggled as a beginner with Linux (Redhat) trying to get a nice GUI set up under Enlightenment or one of the various other environments.

OS X does this. Out of the box (so to speak) you can use it without having to worry about configuring scripts for things to work properly (fighting a plug n' play modem back in early Red Hat comes to mind *shudders*) but if you want to check out what's under the hood, set up scripts and security measures you can do so.

I realize perhaps that the majority wouldn't really appreciate this if they never used or had the interest to use a *nix or BSD type of OS before, but I'm still floored by how great that is.

Randall
Dec 20, 2005, 03:58 PM
That's an excellent point and I think it's something that's really under-sold and under-mentioned. I remember when I struggled as a beginner with Linux (Redhat) trying to get a nice GUI set up under Enlightenment or one of the various other environments.

OS X does this. Out of the box (so to speak) you can use it without having to worry about configuring scripts for things to work properly (fighting a plug n' play modem back in early Red Hat comes to mind *shudders*) but if you want to check out what's under the hood, set up scripts and security measures you can do so.

I realize perhaps that the majority wouldn't really appreciate this if they never used or had the interest to use a *nix or BSD type of OS before, but I'm still floored by how great that is.I agree 100%. That brings me to another great reason Mac is better. The seamless hardware and software integration out of the box. A Mac was designed to run the software that it does, and you really can't say that about the PC. Granted, they were all designed to run Windows, but Windows wasn't designed to support the umpteen-gazillion different hardware configurations offered by thrid party vendors. Apple keeping every step of development in house makes for a much more seamless and enjoyable experience, not to mention "It just works" :p