Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I would like to delete an SMTP server which is no longer in use but am unable to do so. By going to the settings for that SMTP server it says (at the bottom): "This server cannot be modified because it is the primary outgoing server for the account '********'".

So I edited that account by disabling the primary SMTP server and choosing another one but am still unable to delete the invalid server. What's the solution?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I would like to delete an SMTP server which is no longer in use but am unable to do so. By going to the settings for that SMTP server it says (at the bottom): "This server cannot be modified because it is the primary outgoing server for the account '********'".

So I edited that account by disabling the primary SMTP server and choosing another one but am still unable to delete the invalid server. What's the solution?

You have to delete the account associated with that server in order to remove it. Additionally, a friend had issues setting up an account because it always failed sending (wrong username/passwd for server). What had happened is he initially set up the account but he changed passwords. So the old smtp server info was saved in the list. Had to delete it first then add the account again. Something apple doesn't talk about.

Stefansalvatore

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Follow the steps.

Tap the Settings icon on your iPhone's home screen.

Go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" category in the menu.

Tap on the name of the email account that you want to modify.

Click the field labelled SMTP under the Outgoing Mail Server heading.

Tap the entry under the Primary Server heading on the next screen.

Tap the fields you want to edit and use the onscreen keyboard to adjust the SMTP server address, port, user name and password.

Press "Done" to save the changes you've made to the primary SMTP server.

ancientscream

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
This is an abortion to control and remains an abortion to control unless its fixed in the very latest iOS but its a complete joke the way apple have made this simple task so difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.