Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KRB24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I have iOS 7.04 installed on my iPhone 5S. Every time I try to use the Compass app, it asks me to calibrate. Why is this happening? Is there a way to fix this?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I have iOS 7.04 installed on my iPhone 5S. Every time I try to use the Compass app, it asks me to calibrate. Why is this happening? Is there a way to fix this?

It's been that way since iOS 7.00 on every iPhone.

pigbrother

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
The "compass" in your phone is not a real compass because, obviously, it doesn't have a rotating magnetic needle which is always ready to work. Instead, your phone use a magnetometer, a type of sensor who works by analyzing the variations of the magnetic field. That's why you have to make the 8 loop move, to allow the sensor to measure the magnetic field in a 720 degrees space. Sometimes, the environmental interferences are too big and the sensor loose this calibration, and the factors could be anything: metal frame of your building, your car, local magnetic anomalies and so on. Bottomline: you have to deal with it. :)

KRB24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
How come this wasn't a problem before iOS 7 and 5S then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.