Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hova

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
I think we seriously might see a fanless Macbook Air redesign in summer 2014.
Instead of spinning fans, Apple will use something called Dual Piezoelectric Cooling Jets (DCJ), an invention by General Electric, I also think that Lenovo is already planning a ThinkPad with that cooling system.

For those of you who have never heard of this technology you might be interested to see this short video and this article by Engadget.

Lenovo is currently prototyping/testing a ultra slim ThinkPad with the codename ThinkPad 9 Slim and Apple would want to make sure to be competing with a slim laptop like that.
I'm really excited for this technology to be build into Laptops and maybe Desktops. Since SSDs became widespread cooling fans have become the single mechanical thing that can be quite noisy.

GE has already partnered with Texas Instruments to manufacture the cooling jets for consumer products

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
That would be cool, but wouldn't you hear the two metal plates clicking? There's probably a work around, but as long as those things can keep my CPU temp to a nice level, I'm happy.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My computer is silent already. Any new is okay though, but I don't see this coming.

yosemit

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
My 2013 MBA is completely silent for 99% of time. Fanless is a good concept, though.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If it stays a productivity device (a MacBook) rather than an toy/entertainment device (iOS) it will probably not be able to become fanless (<6W) until after Broadwell (not until 2015 ).

I don't care. I simply want a retina display. Thinner and lighter would also be nice.

Last edited:

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
The 2013 MBA is dead silent already... I highly doubt Apple will use this in 2014 since it has no functional advantage. (unless it allows them to make a thinner MBA) Also it's unproven technology. I think the Screen with be the main focus in 2014.

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
that is really neat. i don't own a macbook air (still rocking the white 2010 macbook) but i think this could be a possibility across lots of devices in the future

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Not a good idea, much better to have a cool machine that is comfortable to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.