Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Well onto the 12th day now with using both the air and rmini and woke up this morning, pulling my hairs out once again, still undecided on which to keep. This is pretty much all that has been on my mind for the past 12 days and really want to put it to rest and move on.

So I figured I would try something, popped my Air out of the case that I got for it (which is now being returned)....and what do you know, I was just reassured. When the air is naked, feeling and typing on it pretty much feels like the mini with a tiny bit more weight but its not really noticable. Like people on these forums have already mentioned, because of the longer size on the air, it makes the device feel lighter than it really is.

Using both naked, I prefer the air simply cause (I find anyhow) the air when naked is just as comfortable to hold, use and type on with the split keyboard as the mini. I could see myself taking the air out naked cause its really not much heavier than the rmini.

But the biggest benefit and what ultimately for me was the deciding factors is the larger screen and full gamut. Whenever I put the rmini and air side by side viewing the exact same image, set at the exact same brightness, the rmini just continues to disgust me. Just a dissapointment. I cant get over the fact that Im paying only $100 less for the mini, but getting an inferior screen.

And like people have said, once you use the Air screen, its hard to go back to the mini because it does feel like a compromised experience.

Once I removed the case, all those issues I had with the air 1) being too heavy to hold in long sessions with the case on, 2) not being able to one hand it for more than a few minutes are now gone! Its amazing what removing the case does! It feels amazing when the air is naked. The case that I had on wasnt huge, was relatively thin compared to most ive seen, but still because the air is so thin and light, once you put on any case onto the air, it doubles or even triples the size and weight therefore takes away the amazing feeling and lightness the device has.

So what im doing is, putting a smart cover on and invisible shield on the back. Thats the absolute lowest profile protection currently available today with adding the absolute minimal bulk. In fact, I would even go with a screen protector on the front over the smart cover, but that means over time, I would have to replace the screen protector every now and then as it gets marked up and would rather just use the smart cover for an all and be done setup.

Sure Id love a case but I can do without it because I dont drop my ipads and I have the protection on to protect from tablet top scratches more than anything.

Ipad mini is going back now. Finally FINALLY a decision has been made and I can RIP. :)

dljor

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
I am sure you will re-consider it in 10 minutes.

Well onto the 12th day now with using both the air and rmini and woke up this morning, pulling my hairs out once again, still undecided on which to keep. This is pretty much all that has been on my mind for the past 12 days and really want to put it to rest and move on.

So I figured I would try something, popped my Air out of the case that I got for it (which is now being returned)....and what do you know, I was just reassured. When the air is naked, feeling and typing on it pretty much feels like the mini with a tiny bit more weight but its not really noticable. Like people on these forums have already mentioned, because of the longer size on the air, it makes the device feel lighter than it really is.

Using both naked, I prefer the air simply cause (I find anyhow) the air when naked is just as comfortable to hold, use and type on with the split keyboard as the mini. I could see myself taking the air out naked cause its really not much heavier than the rmini.

But the biggest benefit and what ultimately for me was the deciding factors is the larger screen and full gamut. Whenever I put the rmini and air side by side viewing the exact same image, set at the exact same brightness, the rmini just continues to disgust me. Just a dissapointment. I cant get over the fact that Im paying only $100 less for the mini, but getting an inferior screen.

And like people have said, once you use the Air screen, its hard to go back to the mini because it does feel like a compromised experience.

Once I removed the case, all those issues I had with the air 1) being too heavy to hold in long sessions with the case on, 2) not being able to one hand it for more than a few minutes are now gone! Its amazing what removing the case does! It feels amazing when the air is naked. The case that I had on wasnt huge, was relatively thin compared to most ive seen, but still because the air is so thin and light, once you put on any case onto the air, it doubles or even triples the size and weight therefore takes away the amazing feeling and lightness the device has.

So what im doing is, putting a smart cover on and invisible shield on the back. Thats the absolute lowest profile protection currently available today with adding the absolute minimal bulk. In fact, I would even go with a screen protector on the front over the smart cover, but that means over time, I would have to replace the screen protector every now and then as it gets marked up and would rather just use the smart cover for an all and be done setup.

Sure Id love a case but I can do without it because I dont drop my ipads and I have the protection on to protect from tablet top scratches more than anything.

Ipad mini is going back now. Finally FINALLY a decision has been made and I can RIP. :)

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Poetic Slimline case I have for my Air weighs 6oz. It feels MUCH lighter without the case, and that case is easily removable. I have a neoprene sleeve that weighs close to nothing, so maybe I'll start using that again. My wife and I each bought one from the dollar store, but she bought a pink sleeve. :D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The Poetic Slimline case I have for my Air weighs 6oz. It feels MUCH lighter without the case

Interesting how significantly a case can increase the weight. A 6oz case adds 37% to the weight of a 16oz Air. That'd definitely be noticeable. :p

dljor

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
Just notice you post in my thread. Totally different from your statement here?

Mini all the time, its just much more practical to use especially on public. Carrying the air around is a major nousense where the mini i could use for hours and not even notice the weight. Ive had both the air and mini now for 11 days and im going to be bringing one back....ask away.

Ive been carrying the air around with me and its a major PITA compared to the mini. Jist holding the air is nowhere near as comfortable. Its smaller than 4th gen, but its still a 2 hand device. Mini just has so much more versatility....its equally as comfortable typing on it in portrait as it is landscape.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenuta
I just had the same dilemma . Went with the 64g so far I'm happy. With the amount of traveling and clients I need to go see the rmini is perfect .
Especially if you see clients with your ipad! You dont wanna get laughed at carrying a full sized ipad. Might as well carry a large pizza box.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

wow i find this funny. since yesterday you were ragging on me about me choosing the Air over the Mini....very interesting!

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Totally agree. The slightest weight increase can make the air feel significantly heavier. Going with Best Skins Ever for the back and Smart Cover for front protection. This after a smart case and I-blason back case.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
You could have saved yourself some stress and just asked me :). I've been recommending a Gelaskin for the back and Smart Cover since iPad 2.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
You could have saved yourself some stress and just asked me :). I've been recommending a Gelaskin for the back and Smart Cover since iPad 2.

Not putting on invisible shield, but ghost armour instead, was told its better.

$25 for back shield where the invisible shield, places wanted $40.

Does the smart cover still attach once the back shield is put on?

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010

Yes it will work. Ghost armor peels much faster than invisible shield though. I had an invisibleshield on my Ipad 3 for a year and a half with zero issues. But ghost armor peels on my ipad and iphone. Be wary of the Air's back edges, since they'll be prone to easy removal. I've resorted to keeping them in a case to prolong the life of the protectors. It costs extra to get replacements, but not as much as the full cost.

With that said, I plan on getting ghost armor for my rMini simply because I don't like the orange peel of invisibleshield.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Yes it will work. Ghost armor peels much faster than invisible shield though. I had an invisibleshield on my Ipad 3 for a year and a half with zero issues. But ghost armor peels on my ipad and iphone. Be wary of the Air's back edges, since they'll be prone to easy removal. I've resorted to keeping them in a case to prolong the life of the protectors. It costs extra to get replacements, but not as much as the full cost.

With that said, I plan on getting ghost armor for my rMini simply because I don't like the orange peel of invisibleshield.

Ghost armour will peel easy? Well then thats no good. How long before this starts to happen? For $25 id expect a top quality product.

I mean ive been using protectors for my phone the past 3 years where it doesnt peel off unless i manually do it. And even then it takes a lot of effort to get off.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Check Best Skins ever. Matte finish for rear looks great Check their facebook page as well. BOGO may still be going.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Ghost armour will peel easy? Well then thats no good. How long before this starts to happen? For $25 id expect a top quality product.

I mean ive been using protectors for my phone the past 3 years where it doesnt peel off unless i manually do it. And even then it takes a lot of effort to get off.

I've had Ghost Armor on all my iPads and never had a peeling issue. Plus there's no orange peel effect. However, I had mine put on at their kiosk in the mall. I think the UV oven-thing they use helps quite a bit to get it to set. I actually use the front and back and use a case only when traveling. Best of both worlds with the Air.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009

Well, it's been a day after your "final" decision. Have you had a remorse yet? :D

If not, sooner or later, you will. Because mini = ideal form factor for a tablet. Period PERIOD. :D

If tablets could cry, the box with your returned rMini would be full of tears when they open it at Apple. :D

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Well, it's been a day after your "final" decision. Have you had a remorse yet? :D

If not, sooner or later, you will. Because mini = ideal form factor for a tablet. Period PERIOD. :D

If tablets could cry, the box with your returned rMini would be full of tears when they open it at Apple. :D

Mini has the worst form factor. Period PERIOD!! Posts like these... Le sigh.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I've had Ghost Armor on all my iPads and never had a peeling issue. Plus there's no orange peel effect. However, I had mine put on at their kiosk in the mall. I think the UV oven-thing they use helps quite a bit to get it to set. I actually use the front and back and use a case only when traveling. Best of both worlds with the Air.

I figure if one sheet of ghost armour can last me a good year before needing a new one ill be happy and find it worth it. The store says it comes with lifetime warranty so i can take it in anytime and just pay $10 for install.

----------

Actually i havent returned the mini yet caise i couldnt get myself too. Its the form factor that i cant give up and i always will hold a special place in my heart for the mini.

Im now reconsidering and actually might return the air instead.

Even though my cell has a 5" screen, i do think the rmini compliments it nicely and both of them wont clash.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

It cost me $4 for my skinomi from Amazon. Same stuff I liked their Air cut out

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I figure if one sheet of ghost armour can last me a good year before needing a new one ill be happy and find it worth it. The store says it comes with lifetime warranty so i can take it in anytime and just pay $10 for install.

----------

Actually i havent returned the mini yet caise i couldnt get myself too. Its the form factor that i cant give up and i always will hold a special place in my heart for the mini.

Im now reconsidering and actually might return the air instead.

Even though my cell has a 5" screen, i do think the rmini compliments it nicely and both of them wont clash.
Let's not create another thread then where the mini is the winner. It's getting pretty ridiculous

hawon

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Here is the way out. Keep both and use whatever you feel like to use each day. Apple is the winner in your case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.