Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Tonight, after clearing cache and cookies in Chrome on OS X, I'm noticing a VoiceFive pop-up on the MR home page that I've never seen before. Anyone else?

ScreenShot2013-12-06at65909PM_zps9d7d6a2b.png

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I just got it in Safari today after clearing caches on my MBP.

Is this something that MR is doing (and, presumably, getting compensated for), or do I have some sort of infection on my machine?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
it's one of our ad providers. we got confirmation that it should be removed now.

arn

yaredna

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
it's one of our ad providers. we got confirmation that it should be removed now.

arn

It is still there, and annoying as hell. Makes me leave the site after a minute, instead of staying longer.

Has macrumors been hacked?

ACKRITE

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
West Hartford, CT
Still showing up!

This incredibly annoying pop-up/drop-down referred to above is still very present on Mobile Safari (via iPad) when visiting MR. I've tried "closing", "opting-out", and even answering their "quick survey", which btw, is much longer than the 5-questions they claim, and nothing works. It keep showing up at almost every single visit to this site.

Please advise Arn.

Much thanks!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just saw this a few minutes ago. You should really consider blacklisting this advertiser.

I don't use adblock as I want to support sites like this and occasionally I will see something interesting in an ad...but ads like this one give me a strong incentive to turn it back on.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wow, this VoiceFive is really annoying. Need to get rid of this advertiser ASAP.

I had to go back to using the Dolphin browser on my iPad, which blocks all ads just so I don't get this popup.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just wanted to confirm this is being worked on. Ticket filed with our ad provider to find out why this keeps coming back.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Spotted this pop-up advertisement this AM. My opinion counts. It disappears after ~10 seconds. Clearly, my screen-grab reflex is way too slow. :(

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
we're having trouble tracking it down. And I can't get it to trigger.

If someone can trigger it. Can you take a screenshot of all the ads on the page, aside from the pop-up?

email to arn@normalkid.com

thanks
arn

SimpleSimian

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I get this pop up every time I visit your site; and when I say every time, what I mean is: Every. Single. Time.

Reproducibility:
  1. Run IE on Windows 8.1.
  2. Set IE to clear history/cookies when the browser closes.
  3. Visit macrumors.com, get pop-up.
  4. Close IE.
  5. Repeat step 3.

I've attached 4 screenshots of the results of this process; if you'd like any more let me know.

Attachments

• v5.png
    v5.png
    557.4 KB · Views: 180
  • v5v2.png
    v5v2.png
    655.8 KB · Views: 153
  • v5v3.png
    v5v3.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 185
  • v5v4.png
    v5v4.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 182

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I get this pop up every time I visit your site; and when I say every time, what I mean is: Every. Single. Time.

Reproducibility:
  1. Run IE on Windows 8.1.
  2. Set IE to clear history/cookies when the browser closes.
  3. Visit macrumors.com, get pop-up.
  4. Close IE.
  5. Repeat step 3.

I've attached 4 screenshots of the results of this process; if you'd like any more let me know.

Sorry,

I assume if you don't clear cookies, it doesn't come back?

arn

SimpleSimian

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Nope. It pops up about ~2-5s after the page + ads appear to finish loading, then goes away automatically after ~15s. If cookies aren't cleared after it goes away it doesn't appear to come back upon reloading.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Nope. It pops up about ~2-5s after the page + ads appear to finish loading, then goes away automatically after ~15s. If cookies aren't cleared after it goes away it doesn't appear to come back upon reloading.

I use a popup blocker, but VoiceFive evaded it. Regularly use CCleaner but that had no effect on the VF popups.

Finally found a solution through Ghostery, a tracker blocker I use as a Chrome extension. Once I blocked VoiceFive from tracking me, the popups here stopped.

Unsure if Ghostery works with IE, but you may want to see if IE allows you to block tracking and if so, add VoiceFive to your blocked list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.