Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Downloaded the api for the new camera today and took some indoor photo's with the old camera and the new camera, all indoors with flourescent lighting, since that was the real issue with the old camera, using HDR+ with the 4.4 camera and HDR+ and normal mode with 4.4.1. (Note: MacRumors photo storage has shrunk the file size down to 1.17mp and pixel density to 600x600. No shots were altered otherwise. No flash was used.)
This is literally take the phone out, start it up and take a shot. Of note, the camera does adjust a ton faster in normal indoor light, but still has about a second lag in low light scenes trying to focus. To be fair, most cameras take an extra second to adjust in low light environments though.

(My personal opinion is that the new camera api, in HDR+ mode gives me the least amount of noise, most amount of clarity and more accurate color reproduction.)

Now for the photos:

This is the old 4.4 camera with HDR+ mode on:
picture.php

New camera apk 4.4.1 with HDR+ on:
picture.php

New camera apk 4.4.1 without HDR+ (aka normal mode):
picture.php

This is the old 4.4 camera with HDR+ mode on:
Width: 3264 Height: 2448
File size: 1.4MB
Focal Length: 3.97mm
Aperature 2.40
Exposure Time: 0.125
ISO: 176
picture.php

New camera apk 4.4.1 with HDR+ on:
Width: 3200 Height: 2368
File size: 1.7MB
Aperature 2.53
Exposure Time: 0.02568
ISO: 296
picture.php

New camera apk 4.4.1 without HDR+ (aka normal mode):
Width: 3264 Height: 2448
File size: 1.5MB
Aperature 2.40
Exposure Time: 0.08333
ISO: 143
picture.php

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They actually look much better without HDR than 4.4 did. What is the shutter speed difference between HDR+ on and off. Is it really noticeable?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
They actually look much better without HDR than 4.4 did. What is the shutter speed difference between HDR+ on and off. Is it really noticeable?

Shutter spped is significantly faster in normal indoor lighting conditions (or outside). Roughly .25 to .5 of a second (my guestimate). I should have done some onscreen video (didn't even think to do it today. Will do a vid tomorrow if people are interested.)

In low light indoors, it feels about the same. Roughly 1-2 seconds to lock with green, assuming you get green. Sometimes it gives you red and the pic has a lot of noise or is blurred. Google still needs a better sensor IMO!)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Shutter spped is significantly faster in normal indoor lighting conditions (or outside). Roughly .25 to .5 of a second (my guestimate). I should have done some onscreen video (didn't even think to do it today. Will do a vid tomorrow if people are interested.)

In low light indoors, it feels about the same. Roughly 1-2 seconds to lock with green, assuming you get green. Sometimes it gives you red and the pic has a lot of noise or is blurred. Google still needs a better sensor IMO!)

Thanks. That still is really good. Even in the current state, I have been able to capture really good pics.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Thanks. That still is really good. Even in the current state, I have been able to capture really good pics.

I added in file size, aperature, exposure time and ISO for the last 3 shots above to show the difference between 4.4 with HDR, 4.4.1 with HDR and 4.4.1 without.

It appears that HDR+ on 4.4.1 lets in less light and has a very short exposure time compared to the other two, and it looks like they auto-compensated for darker interior lighting with a higher ISO. Maybe that is why HDR+ on 4.4.1 looks the best to me?

For those unfamiliar with ISO settings, the majority of dumb, aim and shoot stand alone cameras is usually preset to around 100. The higher you go, usually means less light or you want to capture action shots.
If you choose to use a manual ISO, what values should you use?

ISO 50-100. Suitable for bright light (like outdoors on a sunny day).

ISO 200. Great for overcast or cloudy days.

ISO 400 and 800. Use these values when the light is getting dim but it is not yet night.

ISO 1600 and above. Use for indoor or night shots. Also useful to freeze the action in sports shots. These values will produce the most noise.

OhHaiThere

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
USA
For those unfamiliar with ISO settings, the majority of dumb, aim and shoot stand alone cameras is usually preset to around 100. The higher you go, usually means less light or you want to capture action shots.

It's important to understand why P&S prefer lower ISO. As ISO goes up so does the noise. A good sensor is required to have lower noise at high ISO. ISO and shutter speed go hand in hand, so if you want to capture action shots you'll prefer a fast shutter speed and light permitting still use as low of an ISO that you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.