Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld.co.uk reports that Hewlett Packard may stop pre-installing iTunes on their line of PCs in 2006.

This follows their earlier announcement in July that they would stop selling re-branded HP iPods. According to a statement at the time "reselling the iPod no longer fit with HP's current digital media strategy".

Reportedly, HP had a contractual agreement with Apple to continue bundling iTunes with their HP computers until January of 2006. Beyond that, however, future plans are unclear. HP has not made any announcements, but Macworld.co.uk speculates that HP will adopt a Microsoft Windows Media solution.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Can you blame them? Why pre-install iTunes when you aren't selling iPods? The only reason then put iTunes on their PCs was to cut down on customer support calls of how do I install iTunes. Now not having iPods themselves, its up to Apple to help a user get iTunes installed. Also, iTunes is a money maker for Apple. Whey give someone else advertisement if you aren't getting anything out of it? Sounds like a good business move by HP.

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
grapes911 said:
Can you blame them? Why pre-install iTunes when you aren't selling iPods? The only reason then put iTunes on their PCs was to cut down on customer support calls of how do I install iTunes. Now not having iPods themselves, its up to Apple to help a user get iTunes installed. Also, iTunes is a money maker for Apple. Whey give someone else advertisement if you aren't getting anything out of it? Sounds like a good business move by HP.

Microsoft won't give them anything. And if they think they can make money by opening their own store they're sadly mistaken. I'm not saying they should continue to bundle iTunes, but what are they really going to do?

David :cool:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Arcus said:
I have a request for ALL PC makers. Stop bundling all of this crap at all!! Give me a clean system and let me decide.

Amen! When I got my new gateway computer, about 1/2 the bundled crap didn't even work because it was all internet based and the service hadbeen shut down.:mad:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Seems logical. Microsoft has power over HP. Apple has none at the moment. So HP bows to Microsoft. No surprise. iTunes is still a free download with huge mindshare, and bundled on CD with every iPod.

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
thejadedmonkey said:
Amen! When I got my new gateway computer, about 1/2 the bundled crap didn't even work because it was all internet based and the service hadbeen shut down.:mad:

I think that--besides loading down the system--it makes for poor show. The idea of a 'desktop' is to have a loose analogy of a (virtual) desk. When I buy a new desk at the furniture shop, I expect it to be clean, inside and out, after it's been assembled.

What do I find? AOL, Netscape, EarthLink, and half a dozen other 'browsers' on a Windows desktop, plus a bunch of other shortcuts to 'Install trial version of Quickbooks Pro now,' or some such.

Apple handles things a *little* better, maybe, since it's easier to uninstal this junk and I know that it's not loading the system down; I see that it pays the bills--even for Apple--to do some dealings with, say, EarthLink.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
One wonders if this is due to some external pressure from MSFT and their OS discounts...I am not saying it is happening, but you know it is ;) especially with MSFT's new store ariving...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
MacFan782040 said:
HP is like the #2 computer maker in the world.

Well... You have Dell up here at the top.. and then a million miles away, the rest, including HP and Gateway and others. HP's CPU sales were bad so their solution was to buy Compaq. Smart move. :rolleyes: But their new CEO is much better suited to pulling them out of the rut they were in. Anyway.. I didn't say they were out of business. They're still in business. And their stock has come back quite well from where it was a few years ago.

But as far as business models go.. Not too much computer innovation coming from them, right?

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
HP has a digital media strategy? Since when. :rolleyes:

I guess nobody was buying them, opting for the real deal instead. Maybe people thought that HP somehow messed with the insides, so they were unsure about buying from them.

-mark

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
avkills said:
HP has a digital media strategy? Since when. :rolleyes:

I guess nobody was buying them, opting for the real deal instead. Maybe people thought that HP somehow messed with the insides, so they were unsure about buying from them.

-mark

Since the new CEO took over..
I'm guessing HP's strategy is to hang on to Microsofts coat tails.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Arcus said:
I have a request for ALL PC makers. Stop bundling all of this crap at all!! Give me a clean system and let me decide.

That, however, isn't a majority view. Most people use PCs for personal use mostly because they are used to them and find them simple, so when they get their brand new computer, they're ready to start using Media Player, MS Word, and Solitaire as soon as it is turned on. They dont' use Apples becase they are scared to branch out and entertain the thought that that pre-bundled Windows junk is the best of the best and the only thing worth using.

Rock on Apple. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.