Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfremani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'd like to be able to run a windows virtual machine from multiple accounts on my mac. I have Mavericks and VMware Fusion 6. Is it safe to put that machine (its just some files) in the users/shared folder?

I don't want anybody other than local users to have access to the files. I'm still a novice with OSX and am worried that anybody who is joined to the same network/domain will have access to the machine and will be able to copy it down.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Shared folder is only for sharing with other users of the same computer, unless you intentionally share it on the network.

jfremani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
The Shared folder is only for sharing with other users of the same computer, unless you intentionally share it on the network.

Thank you.

Now if only I could figure out how to grant permissions to a file (.vmwarevm) that I moved to the shared folder, for another admin user.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Can't you right-click on it, "Get Info", and modify the Sharing & Permissions (which should be at the very bottom of the Info window)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.