Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I used to have an Arkon case on my old 3rd gen retina and they haven't made any cases for the minis at all. Thought is make my own with this little bracket. I did cover the bolts on the inside with soft backing so it doesn't scratch the iPad. You can hold it one hand easier now with your finger resting on the bracket and a lower stance for the Smart Cover.
Thought id share.

Attachments

• IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4105.jpg
    IMG_4105.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4116.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
few more

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpg
    IMG_4120.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4118.jpg
    IMG_4118.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4117.jpg
    IMG_4117.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4121.jpg
    IMG_4121.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 163

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
fits right over my normal deck and in front of the usb/aux cord.

Attachments

• IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 120

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
That's wicked. I love the car dash setup.

That is a.... mini?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Anybody know if they make a adjustable swivel arm mount for iPads?

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
I bought an iKross Long Arm tablet cup holder mount from Amazon, it was about $25 and included a free rubber-tip stylus that works with iPad. Works great in the car.

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
good idea little on the expensive side. Seems like a pain to take on and off screwing it on every time instead of just sliding it on like mine. Still trying to find a ball joint bendable joint or u type mount.

they have magnetic versions,
my ipad 3 had a magnetic disc.

1 question , don't the bolts scratch your ipad

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Always love DIY project but I don't understand why you went with such a bulky and impractical mounting solution

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I bought an iKross Long Arm tablet cup holder mount from Amazon, it was about $25 and included a free rubber-tip stylus that works with iPad. Works great in the car.

wouldn't work in my car. my cup holders are my arm rest basically. i like having a big screen for a deck pretty much that i can remove in a second to take with me.
ITs the reason i got rid of my in dash navigation i used to have.

----------

Always love DIY project but I don't understand why you went with such a bulky and impractical mounting solution

you mean the little clip on the back? what else is there that would work with the ball mount type joints?
couldn't really make a flush case like arkon did for the older iPads either since they don't make them for the newer models.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
[/COLOR]

you mean the little clip on the back? what else is there that would work with the ball mount type joints?
couldn't really make a flush case like arkon did for the older iPads either since they don't make them for the newer models.[/QUOTE]

There are a hundred ways of mounting something to something else. My favorite is tripod nuts and screws, since you can get them easily, cheap, it's already universal, and there are existing accessories for it. I "convert" anything I get into being tripod compatible, so I have a bunch of accessories that work on a bunch of stuff

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
[/COLOR]

couldn't really make a flush case like arkon did for the older iPads either since they don't make them for the newer models.

There are a hundred ways of mounting something to something else. My favorite is tripod nuts and screws, since you can get them easily, cheap, it's already universal, and there are existing accessories for it. I "convert" anything I get into being tripod compatible, so I have a bunch of accessories that work on a bunch of stuff[/QUOTE]
but you can't take it on and off like i can. I don't want to screw it onto something every time i want to mount it. Laying in bed using it pick it up use it in another room or my car. Thats a lot of screwing in instead of just sliding it on a clip.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
but you can't take it on and off like i can. I don't want to screw it onto something every time i want to mount it. Laying in bed using it pick it up use it in another room or my car. Thats a lot of screwing in instead of just sliding it on a clip.

Like I said, hundreds. Such as:
Magnets
Velcro
Microsuction
Straps
Lego (not kidding, it's brilliant)
Quick release camera shoes
slide-in holders
etc

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Like I said, hundreds. Such as:
Magnets
Velcro
Microsuction
Straps
Lego (not kidding, it's brilliant)
Quick release camera shoes
slide-in holders
etc

which method would be less bulky? any pictures of this setup?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
which method would be less bulky? any pictures of this setup?

Several of these will be able to be embedded into a plastic back cover and thus not add any bulk at all, assuming that you use a plastic back cover to begin with. The LEGO method is actually quite nice; you find some LEGO pieces that are the same color as your case and completely flat on one side. Embed these in the back of the cover with the end that can "accept" pieces exposed. Then all you need to do is mount corresponding LEGO pieces to just snap it in place. Something like 4x 2x2 pieces makes for a very sturdy mount, but a larger plate is easier to embed and make look nice.

----------

Managed to dig up some images of the LEGO method. I did some prototyping a while back for case mounting solutions, and the LEGO system was nice, but I ended up going with a slide-in holder. You can obviously make it look better than my rough prototype test:

arRZTM4.jpg

xLKdwHS.jpg

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Several of these will be able to be embedded into a plastic back cover and thus not add any bulk at all, assuming that you use a plastic back cover to begin with. The LEGO method is actually quite nice; you find some LEGO pieces that are the same color as your case and completely flat on one side. Embed these in the back of the cover with the end that can "accept" pieces exposed. Then all you need to do is mount corresponding LEGO pieces to just snap it in place. Something like 4x 2x2 pieces makes for a very sturdy mount, but a larger plate is easier to embed and make look nice.

----------

Managed to dig up some images of the LEGO method. I did some prototyping a while back for case mounting solutions, and the LEGO system was nice, but I ended up going with a slide-in holder. You can obviously make it look better than my rough prototype test:

yea still seems as bulky as mine. I don't really notice mine as its in a smart cover when its not mounted i don't usually use it just with the case on back of it.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
wow thats crazy- i never would have thought of something like that, it looks nice- is it a cellular model because then u could use it as a navigator in your car- and set up some nice custom bluetooth car speaker too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.