Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tewster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
I absolutley postitively hate mavericks. It has made my MB Pro so slow it is not usable. Iwill never upgrade again. Is there any way to revert to an earlier OS?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I absolutley postitively hate mavericks. It has made my MB Pro so slow it is not usable. Iwill never upgrade again. Is there any way to revert to an earlier OS?

Im sure the version which will follow mavericks will fix many of its issues just like ML did with Lion.

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013

Your problems are probably related to incompatible third party applications or a bad install. Have you tried troubleshooting the problems?

2trout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Tucson

not being smart here, but the fact is, more people running Mavericks have no major issues at all, me included. Which tells me that here would have to be other influences causing your problems, as already stated, 3rd party software, buggy update to Mavericks etc., try a clean install.

tewster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Yep, done all of it. Was running perfect before Mavericks. Must be Mavericks. Thanks for all the replies.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
In terminal type:

$ kextstat -k | grep -v "com.apple"

Will give you a list of kernel extensions loaded not from Apple (-v for invert). Might be a place to start. You may have to manually update those that are not from Apple.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Clearly there's something wrong. An installation issue, some incompatibility, something. It's not a Mavericks-sucks issue so much as an installation-got-borked issue.

This sort of thing happens to a very small minority of users with EVERY upgrade. Upgrades are major surgery, which is why one should always begin the upgrade process with a full backup.

Having said that, there are some great tips here on the thread already for identifying what is wrong. Or, make an appointment at the genius bar of an Apple Store-- they can help you.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Never is a long time. Mavericks runs really nicely on my ancient 2009 Mac Mini, your MB Pro is a lot more powerful so there is no hardware reason for poor performance. As above it's either third party programmes (most likely) or possibly a bad install (which personally I doubt).

If I where you I'd leave Mavericks running for a while, see if there are some background optimisations which take place and sharpen things up. Otherwise just download the original OS from the App Store.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Yep, done all of it. Was running perfect before Mavericks.
Then why did you feel the need to improve "perfection"? :confused:

Something as important as a new OS warrants a little homework before trashing the old one. Ya think?

2trout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Tucson
Yep, done all of it. Was running perfect before Mavericks. Must be Mavericks. Thanks for all the replies.

yeah...na....its not Mavericks, if it was, then mine and 1000's of others would have similar problems.
Granted, Mavericks is not 100% perfect, but it sure as heck is not the disaster that you're experiencing.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007

I had the same experience, but I found that it was due to extreme fragmentation of the hard drive. Here's what you do:

1. Back up with Time Machine.
2. Restore from Time Machine Backup.

Presto! Fast mac. (Actually, not exactly. Spotlight needs to rebuild itself. After that, you'll be golden.)

When you restore from the TM Backup, your drive will be fully optimized. I'd say my MB Pro is actually faster now than SL, which I upgraded from. Good luck!

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Like? Made sure all applications are compatible? Done a reinstall of Mavericks? Tried a clean install?

Yup. Same symptom as OP. Disk wipe, Fresh install, no 3rd party apps, and computer is slower than ever.

Mavericks sucks.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Yup. Same symptom as OP. Disk wipe, Fresh install, no 3rd party apps, and computer is slower than ever.

Mavericks sucks.

Count me in, my Air 2011 feels much older with Mavericks, specially in dealing with Finder, Raw files.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I'm also having a horrid time with Mavericks. Mainly, each time I plug in an external drive, Stupidlight indexes it (regardless of how long I've had it plugged in previously), and during indexing the whole interface slows terribly. It's literally painful! :p

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm also having a horrid time with Mavericks. Mainly, each time I plug in an external drive, Stupidlight indexes it (regardless of how long I've had it plugged in previously), and during indexing the whole interface slows terribly. It's literally painful! :p

While you're right about Spotlight's indexing slowing down the system, you're complaining about a feature that actually helps improve search so that's not a "problem" with the system.

What Apple should do is allow people to choose when they want Spotlight to index such as choosing it to do it overnight or during sleep mode so people can get work done without any slow downs.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
While you're right about Spotlight's indexing slowing down the system, you're complaining about a feature that actually helps improve search so that's not a "problem" with the system.

What Apple should do is allow people to choose when they want Spotlight to index such as choosing it to do it overnight or during sleep mode so people can get work done without any slow downs.

I disagree. In Snow Leopard (SL), the same function did not result in this atrocious behaviour. Re-indexing the whole disk repeatedly is indicative of some kind of problem, either with the disk's spotlight index (which did work on SL), or with the Mav's implementation of Spotlight. Besides, after the first index is complete, indexing during use should take mere seconds (or microseconds), as files are created or edited (unless you're routinely dealing with adding/modifying very many files). Unfortunately for me, Mav's seems to want to rebuild the index on this disk again and again...

robgendreau, I'll try adding it to the exclude list. That'll temporarily stop it trying to index. Will that also remove an existing spotlight index? That way I could be sure that any index it built subsequently was at least not damaged in some way... Anyway, I'll have a look at rebuilding the Spotlight index with Terminal, I'm sure I've seen that sort of thing plenty of times before on the 'net.

Cheers folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.