Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homie304

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
I've attached a screenshot of this insane speedfan read out.

Now I know that SpeedFan can't control fans but I've read the temps are supposed to be accurate?

I'll be playing The Old Republic and my MBP will start to get blazing hot up near the top of my keyboard, below my screen. Obviously I know the temp CAN'T be over 12000 or my board would have physically melted by now. It hasn't shut off on me yet but it does get pretty hot. I've tried different GPU Drivers and it still reads over 12000C every time. When I check my temps in OSX, everything appears to be fine. I don't know if I should be worried by this or just ignore it? I'm running:

Macbook Pro A1297
i7 2.3ghz Quad Core
AMD Radeon 6750M 1gb
8gb Ram

I'm running Mavericks and bootcamp Windows 7 Pro x64 specifically for gaming.

I've researched this for hours but have yet to find a definitive answer. I use your guys' board for all my mac related questions so i was sure to search for this before I posted. Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 146

Bolzenheim

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2013
Hi homie###

In my opinion, you can proceed without any worries.
GPU's can get really hot (up to 120 Degrees Celsius) in normal operation conditions. Of course, it all depends on the setup, environment, where the sensor is placed et cetera.

To compare that: If my CPU would get over 85 Degrees (Celsius;)) I would start to worry about the temps.

The only thing you have to make sure is that the fans are spinning up as you give load on the GPU, so that it get's cooled.

A good tool with which you can test and stress your GPU is "Furmark", you'll find it via google

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'll be playing The Old Republic and my MBP will start to get blazing hot up near the top of my keyboard, below my screen. Obviously I know the temp CAN'T be over 12000 or my board would have physically melted by now.

I think you are mis-reading that temp.
The screen shot that you posted shows 122,918 C. (!)
I believe that would be hot enough to leave you with no neighbors for at least several miles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.